Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Official iPhone 3G Accessory Compatibility List

Official iPhone 3G Accessory Compatibility List
schalliol
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2008, 09:48 AM

This thread is to note a list of compatible accessories with the iPhone 3G, and for the purposes of staying on track, let's not include cases in here unless there's something truly unusual about a particular case. I heard some original iPhone accessories don't work, so it will be good to get a real list.

Currently these are the only Apple official accessories:
  • Apple iPhone Bluetooth Headset (but almost any Bluetooth headset should work
  • Apple USB Power Adapter (one is included, but extras are available)
  • iPhone 3G Dock (this is not included with the iPhone 3G, unlike the iPhone dock)

What else is compatible? Is there a DC adapter?
iMac Late '15 5K 27" 4.0 Quad i7 24/512GB SSD OWC ThunderDock 2 Blu-Ray ±RW MBP '14 Retina 15" 2.6 16/1TB iPhone 7+ 128 Jet Black iPad Pro 128 + Cellular

FOR SALE: MP '06 Yosemite 8x3.0 24/240GB SSD RAID 0, 240GB SSD, 1.5TB HDD RAID 0, 1TB HDD, Blu-Ray±RW, Radeon HD 5770

schalliol  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2008, 08:35 AM

So, I ordered a few iPhones on the phone this morning from AT&T, and they didn't have any accessories noted in stock, including the iPhone 3G dock. Apple doesn't even seem to be selling the dock (at least online). So, launch has commenced yet there are no accessories in the channel that I can see, other than a few cases. Has anyone else had an experience finding any?
iMac Late '15 5K 27" 4.0 Quad i7 24/512GB SSD OWC ThunderDock 2 Blu-Ray ±RW MBP '14 Retina 15" 2.6 16/1TB iPhone 7+ 128 Jet Black iPad Pro 128 + Cellular

FOR SALE: MP '06 Yosemite 8x3.0 24/240GB SSD RAID 0, 240GB SSD, 1.5TB HDD RAID 0, 1TB HDD, Blu-Ray±RW, Radeon HD 5770

fmalloy
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 12, 2008, 12:54 PM

Can someone confirm if a USB2.0 cardbus adapter can be used with iPhone 3G on a PowerBook Ti running 10.4.11?

This will be my setup, and when iPhone finally arrives I hope it will work.

schalliol  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2008, 02:39 PM

I can't imagine why it wouldn't work. If you don't have enough power to charge the phone too, you might add a powered hub, but otherwise, a USB 2.0 card should provide you a standards-based USB 2.0 interface.

oinkuk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 7, 2008, 08:12 PM

dipdog
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 16, 2008, 09:58 PM

Even though the charger function works with the 3G on several of these chargers, and the aux-in works when playing music on the 3G using these same chargers, I've noticed that when you make a phone call, the sound no longer comes out of the car speakers. This is confusing because when I have the car speakers connected (via cassette adapter or direct line-in) to the earbud jack on the Iphone, both the music and the phone functions come through the car speakers. But when I use the aux-in on a car charger, only the music comes through (not the phone - if I make a call, the music in the car speakers fades and the phone sounds come out of the phone).

Did the original Iphone work this way? It's disappointing because I'd like to avoid the hassle of having two connectors (one to the earbud minijack and one to the charger) but I also like having the option to use the phone over the car speakers. Has anyone else noticed this, or are there any car chargers with aux-in that play both music and phone? Is this a function that will likely work when Apple releases new branded accessories?

Forum Links
Forum Rules