Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iCal can’t escape the iCloud loop!

iCal can’t escape the iCloud loop!
posthumanus
Senior User
Nov 2, 2011, 10:13 PM

hello

this iCloud has been a nightmare i can’t shake.

i set up iCloud and now can’t ditch it without losing all the calendars on my MB. i’m somehow caught in an impossible loop and i’ve tried every combination of solutions but can’t escape

basically my iCloud calendar is empty, my MB calendar is full (but shows in the sidebar as iCloud data) and my phone calendar is full (and synced manually from iTunes on my MB)

problem is, my (MB) iCal.icbu seems to hold all the iCloud syncing settings as well, so when i try to change any settings, iCloud is activated and my (MB) iCal gets wiped, defaulting to the empty iCloud one

the hoops i’ve jumped through are all too complicated and convoluted to explain in detail

i think i can fix this iff: i can save or copy the iCal events that show on my MB (but are sidebarred as iCloud ones) without backing up as an iCal.icbu file (which also saves all the problem settings)

seems i’ve gotten myself into a pickle

any ideas?

posthumanus

posthumanus  (op)
Senior User
Nov 3, 2011, 06:44 AM

fixed it the hard way:

created folders 'on my mac' then dragged stuff from 'iCloud' folders into them. laborious, but luckily many of them were repeating events

once done, the 'iCloud' section in the sidebar/drop down window disappeared

and my iCloud/preferences/account deletion stayed deleted

job done

Forum Links
Forum Rules