Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > disassemble aluminium macbook 2008

disassemble aluminium macbook 2008
posthumanus
Senior User
Jun 20, 2012, 02:17 AM

hello all

i’ve inherited a 13” Aluminium MacBook from 2008 that’s had milk tea spilled on it. i’ve aired it until dry and now want to get inside and clean with rubbing alcohol

it has booted and the only problem i can see is where in ‘open dialogue’ boxes it will keep typing 99999999 will little ‘boing’ noises

i’ve seen this 999999 (or was it 66666 problem) many years ago but can’t remember the diagnosis. i do remember i had to replace a logic board sometime last century. could this be the same kind of issue?

i’m hoping it’s a sticky keyboard. if so, i need to get inside: i’ve tried researching the removing of its guts, but come up empty.
can anyone point me to detailed instructions on which screws to undo ect ... ect ... (i think it’s called a tear-down)

thanks

posthumanus

ps: i’ve already got the back off and battery and hard drive are out.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 20, 2012, 05:33 AM

Guidebook - iFixit

There's gunk under the key.

The bad news is that the keyboard is probably the second-worst part to get to on these machines (the inside of the display hinge being the worst).

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jun 20, 2012, 11:13 AM

Thats a new top case on one of those.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

posthumanus  (op)
Senior User
Jun 20, 2012, 08:59 PM

cool. thanks for the link

Forum Links
Forum Rules