Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > What games run without a CD?

What games run without a CD?
funkboy
Professional Poster
Aug 15, 2001, 10:55 PM

I own a new iBook and would like to find a couple good games that run without the CD (so as not to have to tote stuff around) ... anyone know of any commercial games that run with no CD in the drive?
Thank goodness for all the quality shareware out there that doesn't need CDs...

rampant
Banned
Location: permanent resident of the Land of the Easily Aroused
Aug 15, 2001, 11:19 PM

all of them

xyber233
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2001, 11:23 PM

You can make Unreal Tournament run without a cd. Check out http://www.planetunreal.com/osx

rambo47
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2001, 12:54 AM

I play Untreal Tournament and Quake 2 and 3, all without a CD. I used the CD to install the full package, but after that I don't need it.

schwa
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 16, 2001, 11:35 AM

You know, I don't know why everyone makes a big hoo-ha over how to run UT without a CD- I've never had to use the CD, and I've had it since it came out.

Anyway...

If you have enough hard drive space (and if ya don't, big IDE drives are cheap), you can make disk images of your game CD's using DiskCopy (or ImageMaker on OS X), and just mount those. Even though I have a CD drive, I keep images of any games I'm actively playing so that I don't take up the drive, and the HD is actually faster anyway.

Keep in mind, though, that there are a few games (The Sims comes to mind) that actually check for a physical CD, so that trick won't work. Also, music tends to disappear from games when you use disk images, I believe for the same reason, but for me the tradeoff's worth it.

blizzard
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 17, 2001, 12:15 AM

Rune also plays fine without a CD once it has been updated.
Living, working, and freezing in the Canadian north.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2001, 09:53 AM

Actually, at version 436, UT plays without the CD... no disk image or tricks required.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

nagromme
Senior User
Aug 17, 2001, 10:52 AM

Descent 3 should play without CD--I haven't tried it yet but supposedly you can just make a DiskCopy image. UT also--no image needed, just choose the maximum install.

Descent 3 on a plane during turbulence is quite exciting. The compact iBook would be perfect for this, allowing easy access to the hurlsack in the pocket beind your screen.
nagromme

Ashman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 17, 2001, 01:56 PM

Oni plays without the CD.

mrfrost
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2001, 07:57 AM

Alice , Tropico , Tony Hawk 2 ,all three with patches , and off course all of the games mentioned before.

funkboy  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 21, 2001, 01:23 AM

Forgive my lack of effort to do any research but what are these patches you speak of? Are they illegal cracks, or legitimate updates I can get from the publisher's web site? Tony Hawk 2 with no CD sounds too good to be true... does anyone have any good controller recommendations? I think an iShock might just be what I need to get...

blizzard
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 21, 2001, 06:40 PM

Illegal crack.
Living, working, and freezing in the Canadian north.

Bartman
Aug 25, 2001, 12:30 PM

Hi,

When I bought my TiBook I had the same problem, but I have a solution for you....
Use a program called "DVD Extractor" Visit Site use it to make a disk image from your original CD. Then use it again to mount the image. This work with all games that require a CD. I use it with Diablo II, LoD, Sims, Livin' Large and more games...
It is important that you mount the image using this software, otherwise it won't work...

BTW, you'll need a big HD

Good luck,

Bartman
Once you put your hand in the flame you can never be the same, there's a certain satisfaction in a little bit of pain.

TonyRado
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 28, 2001, 11:51 AM

Mr_Frost:
Alice , Tropico , Tony Hawk 2 ,all three with patches , and off course all of the games mentioned before.
I have Alice and Pro Pinball (Fantastic Journey) and would really like to be able to run them w/o the disks. I checked the link provided by xyber233 for UT, but there are very specific items that need to be moved that appear to be unique to UT. Plus, I'm a little sketchy on my understanding of creating and "mounting" the images, but I'm willing to learn. Where can I go about finding these patches (or cracks???) for Alice and ProPinball? I "legally" own the games, but I don't want to be carrying around the disks.

Thanks, T.

Forum Links
Forum Rules