Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Mail app accounts don't work?

Mail app accounts don't work?
danrodney
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 4, 2002, 02:05 AM

My email for my last webhost wasn't working great or so I thought. Mail.app was really at fault though. It would receive messages sometimes but not others. More and more often it would just hang when trying to check and then fail after a while (this is not the ISPs fault as Eudora worked fine throughout this time Mail.app is having a problem.)

OK, so I signed up with a new webhost and went to input it into Mail.app and now Mail won't even try to do anything with the new account. It checks Mac.com email, but no POP accounts... just doesn't do ANYTHING with them when I check new mail... and yes the account is turned on in prefs. There is a / in my username if that makes any difference. I've tried deleting the prefs, deleting the account, recreating it... I am at my wits end... This just doesn't work, but it used to with my last account.

Any help in this regards is MUCH appreciated!
Thanks in advance.
Dan Rodney | instructor - graphic designer
Adobe Certified Instructor, Adobe Certified Expert
http://www.danrodney.com
I hope you'll have a look at my InDesign scripts.

cpac
Professional Poster
May 4, 2002, 02:43 AM

Originally posted by danrodney:
<STRONG>My email for my last webhost wasn't working great or so I thought. Mail.app was really at fault though. It would receive messages sometimes but not others. More and more often it would just hang when trying to check and then fail after a while (this is not the ISPs fault as Eudora worked fine throughout this time Mail.app is having a problem.)

OK, so I signed up with a new webhost and went to input it into Mail.app and now Mail won't even try to do anything with the new account. It checks Mac.com email, but no POP accounts... just doesn't do ANYTHING with them when I check new mail... and yes the account is turned on in prefs. There is a / in my username if that makes any difference. I've tried deleting the prefs, deleting the account, recreating it... I am at my wits end... This just doesn't work, but it used to with my last account.

Any help in this regards is MUCH appreciated!
Thanks in advance.</STRONG>
That's odd. works with my POP account pretty well (occasional timeouts on the server side are the only problem).

I'm not sure whether the / in the username is a problem, but for now I'd try pulling up the activity viewer (clicking on the rotating arrows will do it, or I think it's available via the Window menu) and seeing at what point things fail. You'd at least be able to see whether its trying to connect to your account...
cpac

danrodney  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 4, 2002, 07:48 PM

See, that's the weird thing... the activity viewer NEVER even shows the account... yes this is very weird, that is why I brought it to the forums. My friend and I are very good at troubleshooting things and neither of us have any ideas left and were wondering if others did. The account is active, just freshly created with all default settings and it NEVER even tries to do anything with the account, it's as though it doesn't exist, but yet it does.

Arghhh... Any help is appreciated... Thanks!
Dan Rodney | instructor - graphic designer
Adobe Certified Instructor, Adobe Certified Expert
http://www.danrodney.com
I hope you'll have a look at my InDesign scripts.

Forum Links
Forum Rules