Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Apple repair is a complete joke

Apple repair is a complete joke
s4iscool
Forum Regular
Dec 8, 2003, 11:45 AM

I just got back my 1 month old powerbook due to uneven lighting on the screen, and a sticking keyboard. 4 day turn around, this made me happy.

The downside: Now I have an uneven gap in the screen and computer base when closed. Also, the number keys and various other keys do not light up when the illumination is on.

DAMN !
15" PB/1.25 G4/1gb ram/80gb hd/Superdrive
+ special screen with white spots AND dimmer right side than left. 2 Keyboard replacements, warping Al case wobbles on a flat table, squeeks when typing...etc.etc.etc. Superb!

s4iscool  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 8, 2003, 11:53 AM

I forgot to add, the screen hinge is so squeeky now when opening and closing the screen.

Should the space bar be higher on the right side as compared to the left? Mine looks like its warpped from left to right in a upward motion.
+ special screen with white spots AND dimmer right side than left. 2 Keyboard replacements, warping Al case wobbles on a flat table, squeeks when typing...etc.etc.etc. Superb!

CeRtiFiedSkitZo
Dec 8, 2003, 11:59 AM

I know you won't like this, but send it back to Apple. Keep sending it back to Apple until they either fix it right, or until they send a replacement.

s4iscool  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 8, 2003, 12:05 PM

I just talked to my local repair depot, they say the uneven illumination is caused by some fiber optic tubes not being aligned properly. Good thing is that they can fix it in house.

As for the uneven gap when the screen is closed, ill live with that. So sick of dealing with this computer, and not getting to use it.

vinster
Senior User
Dec 8, 2003, 08:05 PM

Originally posted by s4iscool:
I just talked to my local repair depot, they say the uneven illumination is caused by some fiber optic tubes not being aligned properly. Good thing is that they can fix it in house.

As for the uneven gap when the screen is closed, ill live with that. So sick of dealing with this computer, and not getting to use it.
I know you want to use your new machine, but I agree with the previous post suggesting to keep sending it back until it's perfect. For the amount of money a new 15" costs, you shouldn't settle for anything less than perfect.

urrl78
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 8, 2003, 10:18 PM

Yep, there's nothing like your laptop comming back perfect. I had to send mine in 5 times before that happened so don't feel bad. Mine came back with a broken USB port, lid scratches, misaligned hinges, etc. Why did I send my 667 DVI Ti in? For paint cosmetic repair.

hldan
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2003, 01:03 AM

Same here, my Rev A 17"PB was sent in to Apple service repair and came back damaged and I sent it in a second time and they damaged it more and I wasn't going to settle for a 3rd repair and they ended up replacing it with Rev B 17"PB.
As a consumer you don't have to put up with faulty repair. If Apple damages the computer while repairing it for other reasons then it's their negligence and you don't have to accept it.
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

slffl
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 10, 2003, 12:56 PM

Yeah, I agree they are a joke. I sent in my 17" PB to repair the DVI out that only displays the magenta channel.

I got it back a week later, not fixed, and with the comment "Could not reproduce problem". I guess they wanted to go home early that friday.

Forum Links
Forum Rules