Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > when is the new G5 iBook coming out?

when is the new G5 iBook coming out?
speddy187
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 18, 2003, 08:57 PM

bec i want to get one next year

when is there goin to be a upgrade
( Last edited by speddy187; Dec 18, 2003 at 09:10 PM. )

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2003, 09:17 PM

Who knows? The iBook just got a G4 a month ago, and the G5 hasn't even made it out of the PowerMac line or anywhere near the Powerbook line yet. It's probably at least 1.5-2 years off.

der Kopf
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 18, 2003, 09:31 PM

Originally posted by SupahCoolX:
It's probably at least 1.5-2 years off.
Try 4 to 5 years!

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Dec 18, 2003, 09:39 PM

Originally posted by speddy187:

bec i want to get one next year

when is there goin to be a upgrade
Don't hold your breath for a G5 iBook anytime soon. They are just now rumoring G5 POWERBOOKS for sometime next year. I have a 14" iBook 933 MHz and it ROCKS! Seriously, if Powerbooks are out of your price point, get a G4 iBook, AWESOME computer...

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Dec 18, 2003, 09:41 PM

the predictions are for a G5 powerbook mid-late 2004...so a G5 ibook's gotta come after that.
early 2005?

meanwhile, watch for speedbumps & enhancements (integral bluetooth please apple!) in the year ahead...

ie dont hold your breath...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 18, 2003, 10:12 PM

Originally posted by fisherKing:
meanwhile, watch for speedbumps & enhancements (integral bluetooth please apple!) in the year ahead...
Integral Bluetooth already is an option on current iBooks.

WizOSX
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2003, 10:48 PM

Originally posted by speddy187

I think the best answer is "never." IBM is working on a much improved version of the G3 which will include all the benefits of the G4 plus a big boost in megahertz. It seems almost certain that Apple will use that in the iBook to keep cost and heat down and differentiate it from the G5 Powerbook.

dannyillusion
Forum Regular
Dec 19, 2003, 08:51 AM

You gotta be kiddin me?
DI

RadarBob2
Forum Regular
Dec 19, 2003, 09:42 AM

I agree with the 4+ year assessment. First, look at history: the original iBook was announced in the summer of 1999. That's 4 years with the same CPU.

Second, new/better gets into the mac line in this order: powermac, powerbook, iBook/iMac.

Then, IMHO, the ixxxx line doesn't get the new powermac CPU (in this case) until the powerbook has it AND until there is "lots of light" at the end of the tunnel for the next powermac thing.

Apple must maintain it's clear differentiation between the "power" line and the "i" line.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Dec 19, 2003, 10:50 AM

Originally posted by Cadaver:
Integral Bluetooth already is an option on current iBooks.

i'm suggesting it should be built-in, not as an option...

for those of us who want to buy our ibooks at a reseller, etc
(it's ONLY available from the apple store)

more important than a G5, general speedbumps, bigger ram capacity!
a superdrive, etc etc...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

bimmerphile
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 19, 2003, 11:21 AM

Originally posted by der Kopf:
Try 4 to 5 years!
word.
-Kris Olson | 12" PBG4 1.5GHz

billybob128
Senior User
Dec 19, 2003, 12:06 PM

well they had the G5 in the powermac then a few months later they put the G4 into the iBook so im thinkin that they dont put the same chip into the iBook as is in the powermac
so i say we are lookin at at least the G6 in the powermac before a G5 iBook

MacbookPro dual 2Ghz 1GB Ram 128 Graphics

CeRtiFiedSkitZo
Dec 19, 2003, 12:59 PM

I found this from another site, and it seems to be very truthful. They think the G5 PB will be out in 2004.

http://www.businessweek.com/technolo...5848_tc056.htm

James L
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2003, 08:23 PM

That article, while a good read and something that makes sense, is only speculation.

It will be a long time before the G5 comes in the iBook, but we won't see a G4 (motorola) as we know it in there for years either.

I think the people above who think the new IBM chip (750FX or whatever it is called currently) will find a home in the iBook. Speculation is that it will start at 1.8 GHZ, have a 400 MHZ FSB, and will eventually scale up well past 2 GHZ. So, we will NOT have G5 iBooks per se, but there WILL be iBooks twice as powerful as the ones currently available.... someday.

Don't hold your breath waiting for G5 iBooks.... it isn't healthy to go without oxygen that long!

WizOSX
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2003, 11:48 PM

Originally posted by CeRtiFiedSkitZo

I found this from another site, and it seems to be very truthful. They think the G5 PB will be out in 2004.

http://www.businessweek.com/technol..._5848_tc056.htm

But, again, this article is only about the Powerbook. All the articles from the last month or so claim that Apple and IBM are working together on the improved G3 chip. So, again, it seems very unlikely that we will ever see a G5 iBook. But it doesn't really matter. In the Windows world you have Celeron, Athlon, P4, etc. etc. notebooks. And people really only care if, dollar for dollar, the machine is quick enough for their work. Not really what chip it has.

CeRtiFiedSkitZo
Dec 20, 2003, 12:26 AM

Originally posted by WizOSX:
But, again, this article is only about the Powerbook. All the articles from the last month or so claim that Apple and IBM are working together on the improved G3 chip. So, again, it seems very unlikely that we will ever see a G5 iBook. But it doesn't really matter. In the Windows world you have Celeron, Athlon, P4, etc. etc. notebooks. And people really only care if, dollar for dollar, the machine is quick enough for their work. Not really what chip it has.
OH THAT WAS A BIG OOPS

Sorry about that, I thought he was asking about the G5 Powerbook. Ok then like someone else said above, I think it's going to be a long time before we see the G5 chip in the iBook.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Dec 20, 2003, 09:38 PM

Originally posted by der Kopf:
Try 4 to 5 years!
Apple's moving much more quickly in production and innovation now, you can't compare the length it took to move from G3 to G4 to the length it will take to move to G5 (or G6, if it's more feasible). "word," indeed.

Kyosho88
Dec 25, 2003, 09:52 AM

The Powerbook G5 will come out during the summer of 2004.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 25, 2003, 01:54 PM

As said, the iBook is more likely to go G3 than G5. IBMs latest G3 development, the 750VX, is a much improved G3 core that supports a true DDR bus and will have an AltiVec core attatached as well, essentially making it marketable as a G4. Which I would have no problem with, as any hyper-enhanced IBM based G3 based processor is almost certainly going to scale faster and perform better over all than any 'true' Motorola based G4.

And no offense, but if I see somebody ask when a G5 iBook is coming again I am going to crack. The G3 was in the iBook for 4 years. The G4 has been in it for a few months.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Forum Links
Forum Rules