Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 15" C2D MBP's DL SuperDrive making louder noise

15" C2D MBP's DL SuperDrive making louder noise
BadApple
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 13, 2006, 12:25 AM

I noticed my 15" MBP's SuperDirve makes louder noise when it is taking in/ejecting DVD/CD, compared to my other Macs (which are PBs and iBook). The sound of motor (which sucks in and ejects disks) seems to make noticeably louder noise. Once the disk is in, there is no unusual noise. Does your MBP's Super Drive make the louder noise like mine? I know the motor makes noise but this MBP makes louder noise than my PB/iBook's optical drive.

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Nov 13, 2006, 07:00 PM

Yep - same here. It's ok, it's only bad when you first put in the disk. I'll take it for DL burning support!

BadApple  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 13, 2006, 07:58 PM

Good to know the other MBP's DL Super Drive is making the loud noise at the time of taking in/ejecting disks. I thought mine was out of spec even though it behaves normally after that. I would like to hear from other MBP owners on this matter. I think Apple only uses Matsushita DL Super Drive for entire MBP lines.

Semstudent
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 13, 2006, 09:53 PM

Mine does the same thing, about scared me to death the first time I put a disc in. It's consistent and doesn't seem to have any problems, just loud.
Macbook Pro Core 2 Duo, 15.4", 2.16gHz
eMac 1 gHz

BadApple  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 14, 2006, 06:34 PM

I hope someone can post the sound of this noisy DL Super Drive. I am interested in comparing it with my MBP's sound.

Forum Links
Forum Rules