Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Stuff is crashing like crazy with Tiger!

Stuff is crashing like crazy with Tiger!
Monkeymike
Forum Regular
May 8, 2005, 03:57 PM

I am enjoying this new OS but the Apple apps are crashing on me a lot! I have had Safari **** down literally dozens of times now and Mail and iCal too.
( Last edited by Monkeymike; May 8, 2005 at 03:58 PM. Reason: spelling)
"The sleeper must awaken"

15" Al Powerbook G4 1.25 Ghz
iBook 800
G4 Flat Panel iMac 700
Airport
10 gig 2nd Gen iPod

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
May 8, 2005, 04:20 PM

TailsToo
Mac Elite
May 8, 2005, 06:17 PM

iPhoto crashes all the time too - it's a shame; I get the sense that Tiger could have been great with one more month of polish, but Steve wanted Tiger out just after he reported the quarterly earnings in order to feed off of that press.

Detrius
Professional Poster
May 8, 2005, 06:34 PM

I understand that Tiger is a new OS and therefore may have issues, but have you checked your hardware?

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?t=248286
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

bpd115
Forum Regular
May 8, 2005, 07:54 PM

I installed some 3rd party ram after doing the Tiger archive and install...
I was getting Safari crashes, KPanics, etc...swapped out the ram with some higher quality OWC ram and did a clean install and haven't had one crash.

I also installed a Radeon 9800 Pro 256 which was working well for about a week however when I came home after the Mac was sleeping for about 24 hours I had some video distortion (Vertical/horizontal lines ..bad)..reboot didn't fix...shut it down, ate, came back zapped PRAM and so far so good.

chezpaul
Senior User
May 8, 2005, 11:21 PM

I get the same crashes.... safari, iphoto a lot, itunes and even ichat... not cool... Flash too...
Dual 1 Gig DDR & 15' Powerbook 867 MHz, Sony Ericsson T637 phone

Lancer409
Professional Poster
May 9, 2005, 12:54 AM

i've had safari crash on me like crazy (and once it crashes out, it'll refuse to load up again (it loads part way then crashes out) until i reboot. same goes for itunes, and even dashboard!!!

not sure what is causing it. rev c 1.33ghz powerbook 12inch. i have 3rd party ram that's worked fine for over a year and the crashing only started after osx 10.4 (full delete then install)...

is this a software issue, a hardware issue, or the result of a bad install?!?

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Taipan
Dedicated MacNNer
May 9, 2005, 03:23 PM

Hi!

Are you using Little Snitch? It definitely causes severe problems at least on my system, even after upgrading to the new beta. All is well here after disabling it.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
May 9, 2005, 04:16 PM

I'm on a 733 G4 tower and everything is like a rock. iPhoto does lag after I close, but not a major deal. iCal/Mail/Dashboard/etc. all work just fine.

Lancer409
Professional Poster
May 9, 2005, 06:28 PM

no little snitch for me .. no safari anything for me ...

what's zapping pram do and is it something i should look into?

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

workerbee
Mac Elite
May 10, 2005, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by Lancer409
what's zapping pram do and is it something i should look into?
Just FYI: zapping PRAM and NVRAM on my Powerbook has not helped one bit. It made spotlight re-index the harddisk, and that's about it.
My PB is now down to completely unusable status, crashing literally *every* time I put it to sleep -- on battery power, on mains power, with USB and without, external display or no external display, before and after zapping NVRAM, before and after zapping PRAM, before and after deleting boatloads of pref files, before and after testing my RAM.
I'm now backing everything up while *%�+@! Spotlight trashes all my disks doing its stupid mdimportserver routine for hours for no reason at all (nothing on the disks has changed: I have not been able to work on the thing).

Worst OS update ever.

Anyway, if you still feel like zapping those funny useless *RAMs: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=2238.

Good luck.
MBP 15" 2.33GHz C2D 3GB 2*23" ACD

malvolio
Professional Poster
May 11, 2005, 01:45 AM

Those crash-prone machines almost certainly have "bad" 3rd-party RAM. Apparently Tiger is even more sensitive to RAM issues than Panther or Jaguar.
Unless of course there are pre-Tiger 3rd party additions like AcidSearch or Saft on your machine.
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

bluecrab347
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 11, 2005, 07:57 AM

I installed Tiger 2 days ago, and my PowerBook 1.33GHz/80GB/1GB has not missed a beat. I run Safari all the time, and have been using Word, Excel, Mail, the demo Pages heavily in that time. The RAM upgrade from my original 512MB was done at my local AppleCentre, so would have used 'genuine' RAM. I'd have to say that my initial fears have been put aside, and with another week like the last 2 days, will have vanished totally.

workerbee
Mac Elite
May 11, 2005, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by malvolio
Those crash-prone machines almost certainly have "bad" 3rd-party RAM. Apparently Tiger is even more sensitive to RAM issues than Panther or Jaguar.
Unless of course there are pre-Tiger 3rd party additions like AcidSearch or Saft on your machine.
You're probably right. Even a clean install of 10.4 did not solve my Powerbooks "sleep-of-death" problem. Now that I've put back the original RAM (512MB Apple, 512MB third-party), everything runs smoothly.

What baffles me about this is:
a) this same RAM ran without a problem with 10.3.x and
b) the only thing that did not work with the 2 x 1GB RAM was wake from sleep with login window. Everything else is absolutely no problem: running dozens of apps including memory hogs like Photoshop, Fireworks MX 04, OmniWeb, and Virtual PC. It also tested OK with memtest.

Sorry for being ignorant, but: the amount of RAM could not possibly have any influence in this -- like 1GB is fine, more is causing troubles on Powerbooks?

chezpaul
Senior User
May 11, 2005, 01:11 PM

I checked my RAM and it's all good, with memtest. I just did a total re format of my drive and install. I'm all clean now but I'm still getting wierd things... Ahhhh... Now Entourage is acting wierd... Quicksilver is acting wierd... and yes I have the latest updates... Entourage just froze and I couldn't access or force quit it.. Now that's a freeze like in the old days...
Dual 1 Gig DDR & 15' Powerbook 867 MHz, Sony Ericsson T637 phone

workerbee
Mac Elite
May 11, 2005, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by chezpaul
I checked my RAM and it's all good, with memtest. I just did a total re format of my drive and install. I'm all clean now but I'm still getting wierd things... Ahhhh... Now Entourage is acting wierd... Quicksilver is acting wierd... and yes I have the latest updates... Entourage just froze and I couldn't access or force quit it.. Now that's a freeze like in the old days...
I see in your sig that you have 2 x 1GB RAM in your Powerbook. That's why I had the weird idea that Tiger acting up like this could be because of some strange RAM problem that is not necessarily to do with what kind of RAM one has, but how much.

But then it's almost certainly just a stupid coincidence.

Is your RAM Apple-original or 3rd party? (I bought my 1GB sticks at OWC, the $149 ones).

cla214
Dedicated MacNNer
May 11, 2005, 05:55 PM

Only app that has been crashing fairly frequently for me has been iTunes (4.8). Several times over the past few days it has crashed to such a point that force quit won't kill it, and the only way to get the computer back to normal is to do a power off from the button on the front of the tower. Needless to say, I don't like doing this...

I've searched and haven't found anything like this mentioned, but I think it may be an iTunes 4.8 issue. I don't think it happened before I downloaded the update.

C

Forum Links
Forum Rules