Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Automator question

Automator question
reemas
Senior User
Jun 10, 2005, 09:29 AM

I creat a lot of alias files. After I do so, in panther i would run a built in finder script to trim the end of the file names, easily removing the alias part of the file name.

example: "iDVD alias" becomes "iDVD"

is there a way to do this with automator? i can't seem to get it.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 10, 2005, 09:51 AM

Why do you create aliases? There are lots of other ways these days. Create a smart folder in your dock (or a plain one). Use Automator or perhaps a third-party app such as the uber-great F10 or even butler or quicksilver.
Anyway, you should be able to use Automator to rename that. Have you looked at apple.com? They have a section on Tiger stuff that includes Automator workflows.

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/automator/

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2005, 10:26 AM

Another approach would be to attach a Folder Script to the folder where you typically create aliases. ('Desktop' for example.)

The script would see if a new item in the folder had alias at the end (and could make sure it is really an alias), then trim it.

Edit: got it to work.

Created a small 'Finder : Rename Finder items' workflow, then used 'save as plug-in' with 'Plug-in for Folder Actions' and attached it to 'Desktop'.

It didn't work yet, so I used the contextual menu on 'Desktop' and chose 'Attach a folder action...' to select the saved plug-in.

J
( Last edited by Judge_Fire; Jun 10, 2005 at 10:36 AM. )

Silky Voice of The Gorn
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2005, 04:28 PM

Use this workflow:
http://www.automatorworld.com/2005/04/28/batch-rename/

select "replace text" as the rename option, and have it find "alias" and leave the replace field blank.

reemas  (op)
Senior User
Jun 11, 2005, 01:46 PM

thanks for the tips. i create aliases because i like to have a folder on my dock where i can quick launch applications. instead of navigating to the applications folder, i use this quick launch folder which contains aliases to the program i use.

reemas  (op)
Senior User
Jun 11, 2005, 01:50 PM

randman, if youve got a better idea or a suggestion for my dock folder, i'd love to hear it!

i'm not sure what you meant by the smart folder but it sounds interesting.

chezpaul
Senior User
Jun 11, 2005, 06:20 PM

Man you're still in the 18th century with your aliases...
Try Quicksilver... Do a search at versiontracker.com.

You can launch ANYTHING that's on your hard drive just by typing one or two letters on your keyboard and that's it ! Really try it. Move on to the next two or three centeries...
Dual 1 Gig DDR & 15' Powerbook 867 MHz, Sony Ericsson T637 phone

reemas  (op)
Senior User
Jun 12, 2005, 03:31 AM

hah. i didn't know aliases were so old fashioned. thanks for the tip. i just installed f10 to try it out. i'll try quicksilver now as well!

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 12, 2005, 05:50 AM

Reemas, you have the basic idea. But with smart folders, you don't need to go the alias route. Create a smart folder, alt/option-apple n. For the criteria, under Any, change it to application. Then for Kind, click on Comment (for example) is ... your word(s) (I use dockapp which is unique enough).

For the apps you want, do a show info, Apple i, and type dockapp (or whatever you choose) in the Spotlight comment (I'm assuming your using Tiger, yes?) Hit save and put that folder in your dock and wherever you want it.

This also works great for documents, images, whatever. And it will update itself once you add or remove the comment (or whatever criteria you set).

By doing this, you can also use spotlight to search and open the app by calling up dockapp. That way you don't even need a folder in the dock.

Just read that you have F10. I love it. I prefer it over QS because I don't have to remember the app's name and you can add favorites and documents as well.

Appleman
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2005, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by reemas
thanks for the tips. i create aliases because i like to have a folder on my dock where i can quick launch applications. instead of navigating to the applications folder, i use this quick launch folder which contains aliases to the program i use.
Why not simply drag the Applications folder in your dock (next to the Trash icon, right side of the vertical seperator bar)? Same you can do with Utilities folder if you like to.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2005, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Appleman
Why not simply drag the Applications folder in your dock (next to the Trash icon, right side of the vertical seperator bar)? Same you can do with Utilities folder if you like to.
Because he only wants quick access to some of his applications.

I'm going to second the QS suggestion. Randman, it lets you access favorites, documents, preference panes, music files, contacts, and just about anything else you want.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

Appleman
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2005, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by lavar78
Because he only wants quick access to some of his applications.
Since he is using the Dock (not hiding it) isn't that why we have the Dock: for quick access to some of the applications?

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2005, 11:56 AM

Since he is using the Dock (not hiding it) isn't that why we have the Dock: for quick access to some of the applications?
Yes. Maybe he's one of those clean-dock freaks.

reemas  (op)
Senior User
Jun 12, 2005, 01:44 PM

haha. well i have both. QS and F10. I'm testing them out and will eventually ditch one. Love the idea about smart folder and will keep that in mind for anything. Thanks for all your excellent tips!

chezpaul
Senior User
Jun 12, 2005, 02:35 PM

What I don't like about hte dock is that you have to use the mouse. And move it... Using QS is much faster to me. Plus I don't like a cluttered dock.. then you can't find what you want. The Dock is cool for novices but not for someone using lots of apps.
Dual 1 Gig DDR & 15' Powerbook 867 MHz, Sony Ericsson T637 phone

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 12, 2005, 02:41 PM

QS is all right but I still it's inelegant vs something like F10. No need to remember key words for everything you want. Plus, I like that F10 can sort apps and documents. For instance ...

reemas  (op)
Senior User
Jun 12, 2005, 05:41 PM

Randman, i did what you said about the smart folders. everything works, except when i put it in the dock, crtl-clicking teh folder doesn' display the folders contents, defeating the purpose of a dock quick launch. or did i mess up?

philm
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2005, 06:13 PM

Of course, if you want to stick with aliases, remember that you only get the 'alias' suffix if the alias remains in the same folder as the original file. If you click on the file (application) you want to alias, and drag the file whilst holding option and command into the folder containing your aliases, you get the alias created without the suffix.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2005, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Randman
QS is all right but I still it's inelegant vs something like F10. No need to remember key words for everything you want. Plus, I like that F10 can sort apps and documents. For instance ...[/img]
I know this is just a preference thing, but I'm curious why you think it's a chore to remember the names of the programs you want to use.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 13, 2005, 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by reemas
Randman, i did what you said about the smart folders. everything works, except when i put it in the dock, crtl-clicking teh folder doesn' display the folders contents, defeating the purpose of a dock quick launch. or did i mess up?
Just single click it.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 13, 2005, 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by lavar78
I know this is just a preference thing, but I'm curious why you think it's a chore to remember the names of the programs you want to use.
It's not a chore. I just prefer to pick the apps visually. I also like being able to group the items I want. And adding documents is a nice touch.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jun 13, 2005, 04:29 PM

Well, that makes sense.

Forum Links
Forum Rules