Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > CD's not showing up on desktop

CD's not showing up on desktop
EliteRides
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 8, 2005, 02:15 PM

90% of the time I put a disc in the drive it doesn't show up on the desktop. More common when they are discs of just images. Any reason why?

doucy2
Senior User
Jul 8, 2005, 02:17 PM

mine only dont show up some of the time
you might want to reinstall osx
ThinkMac.org

Mini Duo 1.66ghz 1.25gb

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jul 8, 2005, 03:11 PM

What Mac and version of the OS are you running? When running the OS it shipped with, 10.3.4, my G5 would exhibit the same behavior; it drove me mad until I found others with the same issue. It turned out to be an incompatibility with the Radeon 9800 that was fixed with 10.3.5.
( Last edited by Big Mac; Jul 8, 2005 at 07:02 PM. )

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

nder
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 8, 2005, 06:52 PM

Usually when disc dont show up its becase the OS does not recognized the format, or the drive cannot read the format (eg. a - DVD trying to read a + disc might cause issues).

Can you give us a bit more info on the problem and kinds of discs:

Does this happen with discs of any kind (audio cds, dvds, data)?

Are the discs burned disc or does this happed with original discs too?

romeosc
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2005, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by EliteRides
90% of the time I put a disc in the drive it doesn't show up on the desktop. More common when they are discs of just images. Any reason why?

Maybe a stupid response, but check under Finder Preferences and make sure check mark is beside Show CDs on desktop is checked

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 8, 2005, 09:14 PM

I found an applescript somewhere (forgot where) called "forcemount CD" that is useful when trying to mount windows-burned disks from EZ CD Creator where the session has not been "closed."

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

osxrules
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 9, 2005, 11:56 PM

Sometimes volumes don't appear because the Finder is just a POS. If you check in /Volumes (use the go menu -> go to folder), a lot of the time they are mounted all along. Relaunching the POS Finder sometimes rectifies the situation. Possibly using Path Finder would help.

chezpaul
Senior User
Jul 10, 2005, 01:47 AM

I have the same problem on two of my macs but not on the third.. All running 10.4.1.
i have to eject and reload 3 or 4 times before it takes it though.
Dual 1 Gig DDR & 15' Powerbook 867 MHz, Sony Ericsson T637 phone

EliteRides  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 10, 2005, 11:51 AM

It's not a volume thing. It doesn't show up at all. I checked and I do have CDs, DVDs, and iPods checked. I'm using Mac OSX 10.3.9. I mostly have put in audio discs and they are the ones that tend not to show up. The one that finally brought me to posting was just a regular, real, not burned audio cd.

Forum Links
Forum Rules