Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Machinima

Machinima
Scooterboy
Senior User
Jan 27, 2006, 03:07 AM

So are there any Mac users making machinima? Or is this restricted to PC and consoles? Just wondering, 'cause if I want to get into making machinima it might be nice if I could do it on my Mac and not have to build or buy a PC. And since Macs are the "creative machines" shouldn't they be used in this creative niche? Or are Macs used more and more for just watching TV and buying stuff?
Scooters are more fun than computers and only slightly more frustrating

Scooterboy  (op)
Senior User
Jan 27, 2006, 01:05 PM

So does anyone here know what machinima is? It's making films in a real-time virtual reality, like a game engine. Have look at Roster Teeth Productions, creators of the popular, long running (they're up to episode 72) and truly hilarious episodic Halo based military sitcom, Red Vs Blue. Season's 1 - 3 are out on DVD.

More machinima info and videos can be found at Machinima.com and Machinima.org.

It looks like no one is using the Mac to make machinima. I suppose a PC is needed at least to work within the game engine but once the video is extracted it could be edited on a Mac. Or maybe a dual booting Intel Mac might be enough.

Demonhood
Administrator
Jan 27, 2006, 01:24 PM

you'd only need a PC if you were using the engine of a PC only game. there are mac programs you can use to grab footage from a mac game. the gaming community on the PC is just so much larger that you'll naturally find more people delving into machinima.

a Marathon one might be fun....

Scooterboy  (op)
Senior User
Jan 27, 2006, 06:30 PM

I was reading about Sims 2 on the Aspyr site. The Mac version includes movie making software, so that looks good. Rooster Teeth are producing a new sitcom about a bunch of Sims that don't know they're Sims, called The Strangerhood. They use the Sims 2 engine, so maybe I'll pick that up and give it a go. But how would I capture the footage and import it into iMovie? Or maybe the movie making part of Sims 2 includes an editor?
( Last edited by Scooterboy; Jan 28, 2006 at 06:04 PM. )

Scooterboy  (op)
Senior User
Jan 28, 2006, 06:05 PM

previous post edited for my crappy spelling

Forum Links
Forum Rules