Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > New 2 Windows !!! Anti Spyware, Anti What ???!!

New 2 Windows !!! Anti Spyware, Anti What ???!!
chezpaul
Senior User
Aug 19, 2006, 12:54 PM

Okay so I'm about to install Windows XP in order to run a few games.
Now my question is.. Should I have some sort of Anti something program running on my XP or am I fine with the latest security updates that it will install ? i've just heard so many stories about windows spywere this and that. Funny that I NOW have to deal with it !!!
Dual 1 Gig DDR & 15' Powerbook 867 MHz, Sony Ericsson T637 phone

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Aug 19, 2006, 01:33 PM

For Anti Virus I would go for AVG which is FREE for home use and is regularly updated with new definitions. Anti Spyware is more difficult, as there is no 100% 'Fix All' solution. MS has it's Windows Defender which catches a lot, and there is also Ad-Aware which has been round a long time and well trusted. Another approach is to install Zone Alarm a free application based firewall, that pops up a window every time an app attempts to connect to the internet which you can then approve or decline it's request to connect.

chezpaul  (op)
Senior User
Aug 19, 2006, 04:47 PM

Thanks tons for the info. Will lokk intot he Free bees and move on from there.
Dual 1 Gig DDR & 15' Powerbook 867 MHz, Sony Ericsson T637 phone

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 19, 2006, 06:07 PM

Apple prominently posts on the Boot Camp page that you should be "prudent" about antivirus. And in my experience, you MUST use a decent antivirus package to keep from having the bad guys hose your system. (I toned that down from HOLY CRAP HOW COULD YOU THINK OF RUNNING WINDOWS WITHOUT ANTIVIRUS?!?!) You might also consider using a software firewall like ZoneAlarm-the Windows firewall is ok, but it only looks at incoming traffic, not stuff that's phoning home from your comupter.

That's where spyware and adware come in-they're insidious because they report on you-bad code! Bad coders! In any case, I like SpyBot and Ad-Aware in concert. They use different methods to identify non-signature spyware, and use different lists of "known spyware/adware" in cleaning a system. Run them about once a month and you won't accumulate much of anything (unknowingly) from the web sites you visit.

On the flip side, with a good firewall, good antivirus, and an eye to combing out the occasional malicious cookie, surfing with Windows (but NOT with IE, of course!!!!) can be quite safe. I've been doing it for years without a single virus or serious spyware issue.

Enjoy!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Aug 21, 2006, 05:36 PM

I think Apple should put a 'windows introduction' type page together in the bootacamp section of it's site, with some 'prudent' advice and links to the popular FREE solutions. I know It's not 'Apples job' to look after people once they install Windows on there Mac, but it wouldn't hurt. They could even do it as an 'Auto link' that opens when all the drivers have finished loading from the Bootcamp Driver CD, a sort of "You have now completed the instillation of Windows on your Mac, now for some friendly advice" sort of message.

Forum Links
Forum Rules