Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > disk activity after boot.

disk activity after boot.
silverflyer
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 30, 2007, 07:32 AM

Every time I start my Macbook Pro from cold, or a restart, I get disk activity after boot for about 5 minutes that brings my computer to a halt. When it is done, it operates normally, but during programs take forever to load and the computer is generally slow overall.

I already disabled all the login items in System Prefs> Accounts>Login Items and the problem still persists.

What can I do to fix this?
Mac Pro Dual Quad 3.2ghz, 4gb ram, 4x 1 Terabyte hdd's, 8800GT, 30inch Samsung display running OSX Leopard Server
15 inch Macbook Pro Unibody and Apple 24 inch LED Display.

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Mar 30, 2007, 08:00 AM

I have the same problem with my MacBook (but I have s few startup items)
Signature depreciated.

silverflyer  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 30, 2007, 10:00 AM

It is very frustrating, I am hoping someone will tell us what is going on so we can stop it.
Mac Pro Dual Quad 3.2ghz, 4gb ram, 4x 1 Terabyte hdd's, 8800GT, 30inch Samsung display running OSX Leopard Server

zaghahzag
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 30, 2007, 10:43 AM

i have some stupid backup software that likes to hit the HD constantly for no apparent reason. I quit it every time I start up. Maybe you have something similar installed?

is your HD full? HDs go a lot slower on OSX as they fill up. If you are hitting VM and you have a full HD it will go really really slow. how much ram do you have?

sieb
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 30, 2007, 11:31 AM

Prebinding?
Sieb
Blackbook
(2Ghz, 2GB, 100Gig, week 21)

mfbernstein
Senior User
Mar 30, 2007, 01:46 PM

How much RAM do you have? What does Activity Monitor show during this period (ie which processes are using a lot of RAM and or CPU time)? It's possible that data is being paged in and out of VM storage, though I've not seen this problem myself.

silverflyer  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 30, 2007, 07:10 PM

My HDD has only 28.24 gb used and 83.23 free. I have 2 gigs of ram.

Could ibackup be causing this? I don't think it runs at all unless I tell it to.

What is prebinding?

I know the activity monitor shows a lot of disk activity during startup, but not which programs are doing more than they should. None of them looked like they were causing this. What should I look for?

firefly
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 30, 2007, 09:45 PM

I am 99% sure that the culprit is Unsanity's Application Enhancer, which you must have installed (it could have been bundled with something). The solution is simple: download AE from [unsanity] Welcome - Unsanity - Makers of Haxies, small useful utilities that enhance and redefine how Mac OS X works., run the installer and click uninstall.

For those of you who want to know what's going on, read on. Apparently Unsanity decided to instruct new versions of Application Enhancer to run 'update prebinding' (which is the same thing as the optimizing process that occurs after a software update) at every boot in order to correct problems with Rosetta. Personally, I got Application Enhancer as a little surprise along with Logitech Control Center (another crap piece of software); it was the developer version, so there was no control panel and I had no idea it existed on my system till I eventually ran the AE installer. I was furious about all of this, since it took so long to diagnose, and even reinstalled Tiger along the way. So I hope I'll save you a bit of a headache here!

silverflyer  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 30, 2007, 11:55 PM

I did learn that I had two prebinding tasks running at startup, I figured out how to look at all processes in the activity monitor window.

Although I did not have all of Application Enhancer on my comp, I had enough of a remnant from a backup recovery that it was probably the cause. Unfortunately, before I saw this I decided to use my applecare and let them deal with it...

Well, after having me reset the pram or something, we booted from the CD and verified the disk, that did nothing, disk was fine. His only other option was to do an archive and re-install. I did that, and it fixed it, but I seem to have lost nearly another 9GBs of space on my drive. Anyone know how to recover that?

silverflyer  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 31, 2007, 12:09 AM

I figured out where the Application Enhancer came from...

Audio Hijack Pro. Guess what software I wont be buying.

mfbernstein
Senior User
Mar 31, 2007, 08:42 AM

9GB sounds a bit excessive, but if you're happy with your reinstall, you can go ahead and delete the folder "Previous System" on your drive.

As for Audio Hijack Pro, I believe unless you use the 'instant hijack feature' it does not install APE.

silverflyer  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 31, 2007, 12:09 PM

Thank you for that Info mfbernstein. You are right, Audio Hijack Pro does not install it unless you want that feature, but as far as I know, it also wont capture system sounds without it installed.
( Last edited by silverflyer; Mar 31, 2007 at 02:34 PM. )

urzsite
Mar 31, 2007, 07:16 PM

What is the big deal with "Application Enhancer" ? Is it a tast that takes a lot of resources ? I have 1 running... but how do I tell where it came from ? I don't have any unsanity products.
Macbook Pro C2D / ACD 23" / Nikon D80 + 18-200DX VR = Having fun!

silverflyer  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 31, 2007, 07:28 PM

I just looked through some of my recently installed programs to see if I could find it, and sure enough there it was.

Maybe you could spotlight search it too, I don't know if it would show up or not.

Forum Links
Forum Rules