Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MBP weird/annoying hard drive sound.....

MBP weird/annoying hard drive sound.....
lomotion1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 2, 2007, 10:06 AM

I recently purchased the 17inch santa rosa MBP with the 7200 rpm 160gb hard drive. When the hard drive is idle (well as idle as it can be, not playing songs through itunes, etc.) every 20-40 seconds the hard drive makes this annoying sound like the arm is coming to rest but not in smooth fashion. It is hard to explain, but it is there none the less. If you have one and it is quiet in your room, you might have heard it. It is not the "thinking" sound that hard drives make when you open a flle or program. Now, when I am playing songs through Itunes, the sound does not occur. So it only seems to happen when the hd is rather idle. Anyone have a similar experience or have heard of this issue? Thanks!

roller
Forum Regular
Jul 2, 2007, 12:12 PM

I have not heard or heard of this issue. You may well have a problematic HD. I would take it to an Apple Store, if that is an option, or call AppleCare to get a case #, just to be safe.
My Macs: 15" Macbook Pro, Mac Pro,
Lab of ~ 25 various models purchased over the last eight years

My Sites: AppleBytes: Apple-inspired Tees and more, iSwitched: Guide for Switchers,
Yearbook QR Codes, Yearbook Unlimited

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2007, 12:24 PM

Fire up Disk Utility and check the SMART status. Hard drives should make happy sounds, you do have a backup scheme of some kind, right?!

firefly
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 3, 2007, 06:39 AM

Are you sure its not just parking the heads when idle? Most laptop HDs do this.

lomotion1  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 3, 2007, 10:11 AM

that could be it I suppose, but should it be more audible than any other sounds the hard drive makes?

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2007, 10:18 AM

If it was making a "parking sound" it would only do so when it went to sleep. It won't make any more sounds until it woke up. It certainly won't make that sound every 20 - 40 seconds.

lomotion1  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 3, 2007, 10:39 AM

When I have activity monitor opened...it seems that when the sound occurs, within a few seconds there is a small amount of data being written or read...even when I am not accessing anything. It is just odd that when I play mp3s with itunes and mute the sound, the hard drive does not make the sound at all. But when I am not, the darn sound is there every so often.

Forum Links
Forum Rules