Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Welcome to Indiana, home of the $1,000............

Welcome to Indiana, home of the $1,000............
Thread Tools
OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: I don't know anymore!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 27, 2007, 05:01 PM
 
speeding ticket! Apparently, they've decided to do something about morons who speed through construction zones. Good for them!

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/05/27/w...cket-and-that/
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?
     
torsoboy
Mac Elite
Join Date: Mar 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 27, 2007, 11:43 PM
 
You're kidding right? You can't seriously see this as a good thing.... right?? Oh wait, are you on that city counsel?

Here you get a "double fine" for speeding in a construction zone, but about 80% of the time there are no construction workers even at the site. I think that having slightly higher fines for construction zones is fine, so long as there are actually construction workers there, and the area is actually under some sort of construction. A lot of times they will put up construction barrels and their "double fine" signs up waaaay before any work is done on the site.

Anyway $1,000 is too much for a speeding ticket in my oppinion. And the $5,000 for "aggresive driving" (brighting the car in front of you) in the construction zone? Give me a break. Sounds like the city wants to line its pockets a little more.

I really wish they would give a slow speed ticket to people that go too slow in a construction zone (and all other zones as well). Every day for the past year I have had to drive through a 3 mile construction zone on my way to work; the speed limit through the construction is 25 MPH, but almost EVERY SINGLE DAY I manage to get behind someone doing 15(!!) through the thing. It is very irritating to say the least. This "road beautification" 18 month project really sucks for getting to work every day.

PS. The construction workers should watch for traffic like normal people before walking blindly into the roads... there wouldn't need to be a speed reduction if they actually stayed in their construction area.
     
Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Join Date: Mar 2002
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 28, 2007, 12:22 AM
 
Wow. $10,000 the second time you flash your high beams at someone going the speed limit in a work zone.

This is extreeme. I'll just avoid Indiana forever.
     
Cipher13
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Apr 2000
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 28, 2007, 06:27 AM
 
How ridiculous.

I remember a period of about two months where the major freeway in Sydney was being re-sealed and the speed limit was set to 60km/h (it's usually 90-100km/h). Even after all work was finished, the signs were left up out of pure laziness for at least another month.
     
mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jun 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 28, 2007, 08:35 AM
 
So by slowing down in a construction zone, you now get to see men (and woman) holding up shovels and standing there.

I agree torosboy, 9 out of 10 construction zones are unmanned (at least in the Boston area) and not being worked on, regardless if its during the morning commute, or mid-day or evening.
Michael
     
OldManMac  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: I don't know anymore!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 28, 2007, 11:39 AM
 
Originally Posted by torsoboy View Post
You're kidding right? You can't seriously see this as a good thing.... right?? Oh wait, are you on that city counsel?

Here you get a "double fine" for speeding in a construction zone, but about 80% of the time there are no construction workers even at the site. I think that having slightly higher fines for construction zones is fine, so long as there are actually construction workers there, and the area is actually under some sort of construction. A lot of times they will put up construction barrels and their "double fine" signs up waaaay before any work is done on the site.

Anyway $1,000 is too much for a speeding ticket in my oppinion. And the $5,000 for "aggresive driving" (brighting the car in front of you) in the construction zone? Give me a break. Sounds like the city wants to line its pockets a little more.

I really wish they would give a slow speed ticket to people that go too slow in a construction zone (and all other zones as well). Every day for the past year I have had to drive through a 3 mile construction zone on my way to work; the speed limit through the construction is 25 MPH, but almost EVERY SINGLE DAY I manage to get behind someone doing 15(!!) through the thing. It is very irritating to say the least. This "road beautification" 18 month project really sucks for getting to work every day.

PS. The construction workers should watch for traffic like normal people before walking blindly into the roads... there wouldn't need to be a speed reduction if they actually stayed in their construction area.
No, I'm not on that city counsel. and you obviously didn't read the article, as it has to do with the state of Indiana, not a city. The reasons they put barrells and signs up before the zone is to get people acclimated to slowing down, even though most morons don't. This isn't just about construction workers walking into traffic; it's about people plowing into construction workers because they're too busy playing Chatty Kathy on their cell phones, or doing any of the number of things people do when they should be focused on the most important thing they're engaged in at that time, and that is driving a car. Unfortunately, most people think that driving is a car is as simple as putting a key in the ignition, starting the engine, and pointing the car in the direction they want to go. Maybe if people payed attention to the signs they wouldn't have to worry about paying fees; what a concept, eh?
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?
     
zro
Mac Elite
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The back of the room
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 28, 2007, 11:52 AM
 
Jesus, how many workers get killed in Indiana annually to warrant such ludicrously excessive finage?
     
mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jun 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 28, 2007, 12:04 PM
 
It is excessive and ridiculous no matter how you slice it.

What's next a $10,000 fine for running red lights, or $20,000 for double parking. I cannot wait to see what the fine for jay walking is going to be.
Michael
     
Railroader
Banned
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Indy.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 28, 2007, 12:16 PM
 
I like Michigan's approach to construction zone traffic violations. MDOT - What Michigan's Tough Work Zone Laws Could Cost You

I also think people should be fined heavily for not merging safely before a construction zone, as and was mentioned above, for going too slow in a construction zone. Both of these actions cause accidents.
     
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: yes
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 28, 2007, 12:34 PM
 
I think they should fine people for receiving fines, and then fine that. That would be fine.
( Last edited by besson3c; May 28, 2007 at 02:32 PM. )
     
nerd
Senior User
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 28, 2007, 12:49 PM
 
I don't get why people get so pissed about big fines for speeding or running red lights. I drive faster then the limit almost everywhere but I take the risk knowing what the fines are. Yes I would like the fines to be less but why? So I can break the law more often and afford it?

Here in Albuquerque, NM they started red light cameras that will also get you for speeding. The outcry over these cameras boggle my mind. Before the cameras went up people were running red lights up to 5 seconds after the light turned red. Now you actually see people stopping when they should so it's made the intersections safer.

In defense to the people who complain about the cameras they state that an actual officer should be the one issuing the ticket. Problem is I can watch an officer waiting at a red light and see 2 people run the one in the other direction and the officer does nothing. This is at intersection where there are no cameras, maybe the city should've made the officers work first. Either way I'm a supporter of red light cameras and hefty fines in zones where people are working.
     
Railroader
Banned
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Indy.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 28, 2007, 01:16 PM
 
Well said... err... nerd.
     
Cold Warrior
Moderator
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Polwaristan
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 28, 2007, 02:22 PM
 
These fines go way beyond hefty into purely absurd. You're talking about a simple mistake or two potentially impoverishing or ruining someone for a year or two. Fines of this level should require more due process. Indiana shows us how sick and greedy it is.
     
CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Dec 2000
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 28, 2007, 02:34 PM
 
Yeah, officer, I just accidentally flashed my brights at the guy in front of me who astonishingly enough happened to be actually following the law. My hand slipped on the lever. Honest!

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!
     
torsoboy
Mac Elite
Join Date: Mar 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 28, 2007, 02:46 PM
 
Originally Posted by KarlG View Post
No, I'm not on that city counsel. and you obviously didn't read the article, as it has to do with the state of Indiana, not a city. The reasons they put barrells and signs up before the zone is to get people acclimated to slowing down, even though most morons don't. This isn't just about construction workers walking into traffic; it's about people plowing into construction workers because they're too busy playing Chatty Kathy on their cell phones, or doing any of the number of things people do when they should be focused on the most important thing they're engaged in at that time, and that is driving a car. Unfortunately, most people think that driving is a car is as simple as putting a key in the ignition, starting the engine, and pointing the car in the direction they want to go. Maybe if people payed attention to the signs they wouldn't have to worry about paying fees; what a concept, eh?
Next time finish reading my whole post before commenting on it. I put specific information from the artilce in my post so I obviously read it. As soon as I hit the save button I thought... wait that was the whole state, not just a city. So anyway, you involved in the state government there then? This a pet project of yours?

As most people agree it is excessive and greedy of the government (city or state) to do this. Are they giving the money to the construction crews? I didn't think so.

I don't normally speed through any construction areas but it is way too high of a fine for people that do it.

Originally Posted by KarlG
Yeah, officer, I just accidentally flashed my brights at the guy in front of me who astonishingly enough happened to be actually following the law. My hand slipped on the lever. Honest!
I admit that I bright once or twice (for about 1/10th of a second) the people that are going 5-10 under the speed limit, but I don't agree that it should be a ticketable offense. At all. A $5,000 fine for something that brings the other person's attention back to driving instead of playing with his radio knobs is absurd.
     
CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Dec 2000
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 28, 2007, 02:55 PM
 
Originally Posted by torsoboy View Post
As most people agree it is excessive and greedy of the government (city or state) to do this. Are they giving the money to the construction crews? I didn't think so.

I don't normally speed through any construction areas but it is way too high of a fine for people that do it.
The idea is to get people to pay attention. Because if you're distracted enough by your cell phone or whatever to miss the plethora of signs announcing the construction zone and the reduced speed limit, you're probably also not going to notice some construction worker until you've already hit him/her.

There's a big fine for it because ignoring the signs can result in PEOPLE GETTING KILLED. Talk to the family of some construction worker you ran down and see if they care whether your speeding in the construction zone was an "accident" or not.

Originally Posted by KarlG
Yeah, officer, I just accidentally flashed my brights at the guy in front of me who astonishingly enough happened to be actually following the law. My hand slipped on the lever. Honest!
I admit that I bright once or twice (for about 1/10th of a second) the people that are going 5-10 under the speed limit, but I don't agree that it should be a ticketable offense. At all. A $5,000 fine for something that brings the other person's attention back to driving instead of playing with his radio knobs is absurd.
That was me, not KarlG. And the reason for that fine is that otherwise, people will flash their brights to try to intimidate those rare people who actually follow the law and drive the speed limit into speeding in the construction zone and posing a danger to construction workers. Why does everyone seem to think that the speed limit is a minimum speed limit?

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!
     
BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: The Rockies
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 28, 2007, 03:02 PM
 
If they're going too fast in a construction zone, they shouldn't pay an extra fine. They should lose their privilege to drive.
     
OldManMac  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: I don't know anymore!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 28, 2007, 03:36 PM
 
Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
The idea is to get people to pay attention. Because if you're distracted enough by your cell phone or whatever to miss the plethora of signs announcing the construction zone and the reduced speed limit, you're probably also not going to notice some construction worker until you've already hit him/her.

There's a big fine for it because ignoring the signs can result in PEOPLE GETTING KILLED. Talk to the family of some construction worker you ran down and see if they care whether your speeding in the construction zone was an "accident" or not.

How dare you bring logic into this? Just a few weeks back a mother and daughter were driving on the freeway and they were apparently so busy chatting that the mother drove at full speed into the back of a stopped tow truck, despite having its flashing lights activated. The two died. The majority of drivers haven't got a clue about what driving really entails, so sometimes the rules have to be a little stiffer to hopefully get them to think about what they're doing behind the wheel, which is a foreign concept to many.

It's actually rather simple to avoid the fines; drive at the posted speed limit. It's really not beyond most peoples' abilities, although it's obviously beyond comprehension for some.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?
     
Cipher13
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Apr 2000
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 28, 2007, 03:48 PM
 
Do you really think the people that cause problems like actually have the foresight to say to themselves "hmm, I better not speed here, I might get fined..."?

Hell no.

They'll speed through a school zone, putting on lipstick, humming along to Avril Lavigne, thinking "I'll never hit anything! Not me!", and plough into a 5-year-old kid coming out of school with their oversized, unecessary bullbar, then think "oh crap...".

This won't prevent anyhting... it'll just allow the gvt. to profit like lawyers do.

...and by fining people that are actually paying attention well enough to flash their highbeams rather than being so oblivious as to not do anything at ALL, like braking..
     
Cold Warrior
Moderator
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Polwaristan
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 28, 2007, 03:49 PM
 
What's next, $4000 for jaywalking (that's dangerous too - risk of car accidents) and $6000 for talking on your cell phone with or without a hands-free device (studies show little to no difference in increased risk)?

It's simply draconian and excessive.

Go live in Saudi Arabia if you like hellish penalties for minor offenses.
     
Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 28, 2007, 03:54 PM
 
Originally Posted by KarlG View Post
How dare you bring logic into this? Just a few weeks back a mother and daughter were driving on the freeway and they were apparently so busy chatting that the mother drove at full speed into the back of a stopped tow truck, despite having its flashing lights activated. The two died. The majority of drivers haven't got a clue about what driving really entails, so sometimes the rules have to be a little stiffer to hopefully get them to think about what they're doing behind the wheel, which is a foreign concept to many.

It's actually rather simple to avoid the fines; drive at the posted speed limit. It's really not beyond most peoples' abilities, although it's obviously beyond comprehension for some.
It's not difficult to come up with reasonable speed limits or wisely decide when and where to do construction either, but somehow they manage to **** that up every single time.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."
     
BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: The Rockies
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 28, 2007, 04:27 PM
 
Originally Posted by Cipher13 View Post
Do you really think the people that cause problems like actually have the foresight to say to themselves "hmm, I better not speed here, I might get fined..."?

Hell no.
Of course the level of punishment has some effect on behavior.
     
Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Chicago
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 28, 2007, 04:33 PM
 
Stupid.
The only people who this fine would stick to are individuals who are involved in accidents in those zones. Even a hack lawyer would be able to get this pushed down to a regular speeding fine in court.

You'd have to be a real idiot to believe this will be a widely applied law much less that it will lead to changes in speeder's behavior. This is just an attempt to draw attention to the dangers of speeding in construction zones by getting the topic in the news.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency
     
mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jun 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 28, 2007, 04:52 PM
 
I think we should ban all motor vehicles since they are the cause of so many accidents. That way there will be no speeding violations or issues in construction zones
Michael
     
torsoboy
Mac Elite
Join Date: Mar 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 28, 2007, 05:22 PM
 
Originally Posted by KarlG View Post
How dare you bring logic into this? Just a few weeks back a mother and daughter were driving on the freeway and they were apparently so busy chatting that the mother drove at full speed into the back of a stopped tow truck, despite having its flashing lights activated. The two died. The majority of drivers haven't got a clue about what driving really entails, so sometimes the rules have to be a little stiffer to hopefully get them to think about what they're doing behind the wheel, which is a foreign concept to many.

It's actually rather simple to avoid the fines; drive at the posted speed limit. It's really not beyond most peoples' abilities, although it's obviously beyond comprehension for some.
Well at least the two of you agree that it's a good thing. I don't know if you should keep trying to convince others though cause it's not going to happen. It *IS* excessive regardless of what you think. I am curious as to why you are so hard-nosed about it though; are you a police officer or a traffic safety instructor?

If you want to bring "logic" into it, why is driving in a construction zone a bigger offense (bigger fine) than driving in populated residential area downtown? Are you more likely to not see a giant orange cone (or a stopped truck with blinking lights) than a little kid on a bike? Of course not! So why have a higher fine for the construction zone? Are more construction workers killed/injured by motorists than non-construction workers? I highly doubt it.

And I see that you ignored the comment about the money not going to the construction workers... as expected. This is just a way for the state to make more money on something ridiculous.

Because this was bothering me I just did some quick googling to see how often a car accident actually happens in a construction zone, and though I didn't get any straight numbers everying that I saw was involving a flag person. The common thread was that someone smacked into a flag man and killed/injured him. I have wondered for a long time why they actually use flag people to stand in the middle of the road instead of using those movable traffic lights when there is only one lane open. They could even have a person pushing a button via remote to change the color of the lights of they didn't want to do it automatically (cause sometimes they need to stop both sides for a tractor to drive through). This would eliminate most of the injuries and there wouldn't be this problem any more. And it would cost the construction companies less than hiring two people to stand in the sun/snow/rain all day long holding up a sign.
     
Kevin
Baninated
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: In yer threads
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 29, 2007, 10:00 AM
 
Someone is trying to make a name for him/herself.
     
Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: New York City
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 29, 2007, 02:23 PM
 
Originally Posted by zro View Post
Jesus, how many workers get killed in Indiana annually to warrant such ludicrously excessive finage?
If the fine reduced fatalities by even one person, it would be worth it.
     
Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: New York City
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 29, 2007, 02:28 PM
 
Originally Posted by Cipher13
Do you really think the people that cause problems like actually have the foresight to say to themselves "hmm, I better not speed here, I might get fined..."?

Hell no.
Of course the level of punishment has some effect on behavior.
Yep. There is a level where a fine or punishment will change behavior.

In this case it's too bad it has to come to this -- everyone is supposed to take the responsibility in driving very seriously, but as KarlG states, few do.
     
Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 29, 2007, 02:41 PM
 
Originally Posted by Timo View Post
If the fine reduced fatalities by even one person, it would be worth it.
Ridiculously disproportionate penalties for offenses are worth it if one person's life is saved as a side effect? Locking everybody up in individual cells for their entire lives would reduce the death rate drastically. Worth it?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."
     
RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 29, 2007, 02:55 PM
 
Man, lots of drama queens in this thread.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint
     
shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Somewhere in the Pacific Northwest
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 29, 2007, 03:05 PM
 
This is awesome.

I've lived in Indianapolis my whole life. Right before the Super 70 project started (the state is renovating a segment of I-70 that has been in poor disrepair for nearly a decade), the cops started setting up stings/speed traps where they would pull over five or six people at a time who were speeding through posted work zones.

Several construction workers have died as a result of people speeding through these zones. There's absolutely no reason for that to happen. There are alternate routes to every - and I mean every - location that is accessible from I-70; so the "I was running late" thing is a load of crap.

Not only that, but if you read the article, you'll see that the tickets are incremental - first offense is $300. This is the same as speeding in a school zone (which is just as idiotic - while I hate our school zone times, there are certain schools where many kids walk to/from, and a kid getting hit by a car speeding through a school zone as just as needless as a construction worker getting hit) in Indianapolis. Second offense if $500. If you are purely idiotic enough to speed through a work zone more than once, I think you deserve it. Third offense is $1000. Three strikes, you're out.

The "$1000 speeding ticket" headline is just meant to catch your eye. I don't believe $300 speeding fines are uncommon in urban areas or high-risk zones, and what you're really going to get as a first-time offender is a $300 fine.

FWIW, the original article can be found here:
Indiana Adopts $1000 Speeding Tickets

How hard is it to slow down? I never go the speed limit myself, unless (a) the roads are flooded, (b) the roads are icy, (c) it's a school zone, or (b) it's a work zone.

<edit>
It should also be added that work zone speed limits are not always in effect 24/7 in Indiana. In many rural areas, work zones are only in effect "when flashing" or when the sign is visible. In parts of Indianapolis, if there are severe lane restrictions, there will be a posted work zone speed limit regardless of workers being present or not - but you probably shouldn't be going 85mph in a lane that's barely wide enough for a semi, anyhow.
</edit>
     
Thorzdad
Moderator
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Nobletucky
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 29, 2007, 03:32 PM
 
By the way...that fine for "aggressive driving" a.k.a. "flashing your lights"? They say it's aimed at people flashing their lights at cars in front of them. This isn't exactly true.
What it's really aimed at is the practice of flashing your headlights to warn oncoming traffic of a speed trap down the road.
When I want your opinion,-
I'll read it in your entrails
     
olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Dec 1999
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 29, 2007, 03:36 PM
 
I have an idea: don't break the law?
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts
     
olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Dec 1999
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 29, 2007, 03:39 PM
 
Originally Posted by RAILhead View Post
Man, lots of drama queens in this thread.
"OMG! Red light cameras! They're an invasion of privacy!"
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts
     
shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Somewhere in the Pacific Northwest
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 29, 2007, 03:43 PM
 
Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
By the way...that fine for "aggressive driving" a.k.a. "flashing your lights"? They say it's aimed at people flashing their lights at cars in front of them. This isn't exactly true.
What it's really aimed at is the practice of flashing your headlights to warn oncoming traffic of a speed trap down the road.
That would make sense, except that the primary work zones in Indiana this summer are from the Super 70 project - where flashing your lights won't warn anyone, since there's a giant concrete median in the middle of the highway.

Plus, you get pletny of fair warning before a work zone - there are signs for miles before you actually hit the decreased speed zone.

That's the thing about these "speed traps". When it's a posted reduced limit zone, it's not so much a speed trap as it is you ignoring the bright orange and neon yellow signs telling you it's a reduced limit zone.

I'm looking forward to reading irate letters to the editor in the Indianapolis Star about how "I can't afford this $500 ticket" or "They're just trying to weasel more money out of us"...because simply not speeding is just too dang easy.
     
BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: The Rockies
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 29, 2007, 03:57 PM
 
Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Ridiculously disproportionate penalties for offenses are worth it if one person's life is saved as a side effect? Locking everybody up in individual cells for their entire lives would reduce the death rate drastically. Worth it?
Wow, yeah, lock everyone up in individual cells. He didn't say that any "ridiculously disproportionate penalties" are worth it, he said this fine was worth it if it reduced fatalities.
     
OldManMac  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: I don't know anymore!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 29, 2007, 05:26 PM
 
Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
I have an idea: don't break the law?
What a concept, eh? Apparently it's a hard one for some people to grasp.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?
     
smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Across from the wallpaper store.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 29, 2007, 06:41 PM
 
Originally Posted by KarlG View Post
What a concept, eh? Apparently it's a hard one for some people to grasp.
Apparently so is the concept of the punishment being reasonable.

Indiana sucks but retarded things like this are the exception. One of the things I DO like about living here is that we are generally way behind the curve when it comes to new and improved ways to treat people like children who must be constantly watched and caned for stepping out of line.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.
     
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: yes
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 29, 2007, 06:51 PM
 
Am I the only non-staunch Republican Indiana resident in here?
     
mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jun 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 29, 2007, 07:09 PM
 
Originally Posted by RAILhead View Post
Man, lots of drama queens in this thread.
Macnn home of the drama queens
Michael
     
Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 29, 2007, 07:11 PM
 
Originally Posted by BRussell View Post
Wow, yeah, lock everyone up in individual cells. He didn't say that any "ridiculously disproportionate penalties" are worth it, he said this fine was worth it if it reduced fatalities.
This fine is ridiculously disproportionate (well, would be if it were actually enforced as a rule, which as CO pointed out it probably won't). If you support this, you are supporting ridiculously disproportionate penalties. I agree the position I named is eminently unreasonable — so is a $1000 speeding ticket.

Originally Posted by KarlG View Post
What a concept, eh? Apparently it's a hard one for some people to grasp.
It's not hard to grasp the concept. I completely understand it. What I don't understand is why people who support the concept would also support completely inane laws. Did you see the video some Georgia students made about how driving the speed limit there was actually harmful? If you want people to respect the law, make the law something respectable. Don't throw your support behind people who want to make a joke out of it.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."
     
Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 29, 2007, 07:12 PM
 
Originally Posted by RAILhead View Post
Man, lots of drama queens in this thread.
You mean the people who are like, "ZOMG, HUEG SPEEDING FINES OR PPLZ WILL DIE!!!"?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."
     
CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Dec 2000
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 29, 2007, 07:25 PM
 
Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Did you see the video some Georgia students made about how driving the speed limit there was actually harmful?
Which is exactly the point. The reason it was harmful, if I remember right, was because everyone else was driving way faster than that and it became impracticable as a result to drive the speed limit.

Apparently whatever speed limit laws were in effect there weren't doing squat to keep people from speeding. Raising the fines might make people at least stop to think about whether they really want to be risking that or not.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!
     
Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 29, 2007, 07:45 PM
 
Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
Which is exactly the point. The reason it was harmful, if I remember right, was because everyone else was driving way faster than that and it became impracticable as a result to drive the speed limit.
Actually, the problem was that the speed limit is way slower than the natural flow of traffic. Even the city traffic manager said so, if I recall. You're mistaking an effect for the cause.

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
Apparently whatever speed limit laws were in effect there weren't doing squat to keep people from speeding. Raising the fines might make people at least stop to think about whether they really want to be risking that or not.
They shouldn't have to. Making people **** their pants at the idea of a minor violation is what you expect from some fascist, totalitarian state. This kind of inane zero-tolerance policy on crime is where we get schools expelling kids for hugging other kids.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."
     
CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Dec 2000
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 29, 2007, 08:24 PM
 
Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Actually, the problem was that the speed limit is way slower than the natural flow of traffic. Even the city traffic manager said so, if I recall. You're mistaking an effect for the cause.
So what defines the "natural" flow of traffic? Are you telling me that construction workers should have to dodge cars going 85 mph through a construction zone because that's the "natural" flow of traffic?

They shouldn't have to. Making people **** their pants at the idea of a minor violation is what you expect from some fascist, totalitarian state. This kind of inane zero-tolerance policy on crime is where we get schools expelling kids for hugging other kids.
When you're doing something that's liable to get other people killed, like barrel through a construction zone (or a school zone for that matter!) at a ridiculous speed, it ceases to be a minor violation.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!
     
Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 29, 2007, 08:49 PM
 
Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
So what defines the "natural" flow of traffic? Are you telling me that construction workers should have to dodge cars going 85 mph through a construction zone because that's the "natural" flow of traffic?
Are you telling me that it's safe for construction workers to jump out in middle of the street, outside of the roped-off construction zone, if cars are going 45 mph? Because I don't really think so.

And that isn't really the question here. The point is that not every minor infraction deserves a stupidly huge penalty "just to make people think first."

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
When you're doing something that's liable to get other people killed, like barrel through a construction zone (or a school zone for that matter!) at a ridiculous speed, it ceases to be a minor violation.
I don't believe we've established that 46 mph is significantly more ridiculous than 45 mph.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."
     
CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Dec 2000
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 30, 2007, 05:19 AM
 
Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
I don't believe we've established that 46 mph is significantly more ridiculous than 45 mph.
Police rarely stop someone for going 1 mph over the limit. You know damn well what is going on here - people are barreling through the work zone at 75 or higher.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!
     
Thorzdad
Moderator
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Nobletucky
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 30, 2007, 07:12 AM
 
That would make sense, except that the primary work zones in Indiana this summer are from the Super 70 project - where flashing your lights won't warn anyone,
They will be using that "aggressive driving" rule everywhere, noy just work zones. They use the work zones as an excuse. The real point of the flashing lights rule is to stop people from warning about radar cars parked in the median throughout the whole state.
It's all about revenue enhancement, folks.
When I want your opinion,-
I'll read it in your entrails
     
SeSawaya
Mac Elite
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: in a weapons producing nation under Jesus
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 30, 2007, 09:24 AM
 
good ole Mitch, loves to F with our roads, usually in a bad way - see "Selling our toll road"

It's hard not to speed in this state, nothing but corn fields everywhere!
     
Thorzdad
Moderator
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Nobletucky
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 30, 2007, 09:42 AM
 
I live up on I-69, and can honestly say the worst offenders are the cars with Michigan plates. It's like the minute they cross the border, they hit the afterburners. They will roll right up on your bumper and stay there until you can get over to let them pass...or they will pass on the right, even if you are doing over the speed limit yourself.
When I want your opinion,-
I'll read it in your entrails
     
 
Thread Tools
 
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:08 AM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2017 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.,