Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Parents - what swingset did you buy?

Parents - what swingset did you buy? (Page 2)
Thread Tools
centerchannel68
Baninated
Join Date: Dec 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 29, 2007, 05:57 PM
 
So she can't control them?
     
Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Chicago
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 29, 2007, 06:05 PM
 
Originally Posted by centerchannel68 View Post
I don't understand why people want their own pool, their own yacht, their own plane, their own swingset, their own everything. I'd rather share most things with people.
Its called having "options"

IF you are smart enough to have good paying job and a career that affords you the ability to have nice things without having to ask the bread winner wife for permission to spend her money it means you can have choices like a huge back yard for your kids to play in whenever they want.

A $700 playset is hardly an extravagance when one considers how much use and enjoyment your child will get from it being steps away from their home.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency
     
mac128k-1984  (op)
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jun 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 29, 2007, 07:07 PM
 
Originally Posted by centerchannel68 View Post
So she can't control them?
So you seem to pick up where you left off before the banning by goating people and then claiming you were the innocent victim

That's ok, I'm not going to stoop to you level. It is clear that you not being a parent are clueless in the nuances in child rearing and in being a good parent but then I wasn't asking you for advice. Perhaps with age you'll acquire a measure of wisdom.
Michael
     
Railroader
Banned
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Indy.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 29, 2007, 07:38 PM
 
Quit using logic mac128k-1984. You'll get no where with that line of thinking.

But I agree with you 100%
     
mac128k-1984  (op)
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jun 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 29, 2007, 08:58 PM
 
I should know better
Michael
     
centerchannel68
Baninated
Join Date: Dec 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 29, 2007, 09:16 PM
 
Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
Its called having "options"

IF you are smart enough to have good paying job and a career that affords you the ability to have nice things without having to ask the bread winner wife for permission to spend her money it means you can have choices like a huge back yard for your kids to play in whenever they want.

A $700 playset is hardly an extravagance when one considers how much use and enjoyment your child will get from it being steps away from their home.

Or it's called being responsible for urban sprawl, and consuming a lot more than you really need to be. When I graduate, I'm confident I'll get a pretty sweet job, and together, we'll be quite well off. And sorry, I won't ever be dropping a few grand on a ****ing playset. Ever. Your argument sounds like most SUV owners who just claim "I"m jealous cuz I can't afford one". You're wrong. If I had a million trillion billion dollars, I would not own a Hummer. Ever. If I had to get an SUV, I'd probably get an old Jeep Cherokee or something, the boxy kind. If I HAD to get a swingset, I'd build it myself. I'm not a blatent consumer who consumes just because they can, like you.
     
centerchannel68
Baninated
Join Date: Dec 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 29, 2007, 09:17 PM
 
Originally Posted by mac128k-1984 View Post
So you seem to pick up where you left off before the banning by goating people and then claiming you were the innocent victim

That's ok, I'm not going to stoop to you level. It is clear that you not being a parent are clueless in the nuances in child rearing and in being a good parent but then I wasn't asking you for advice. Perhaps with age you'll acquire a measure of wisdom.
I have a dog. If I let her run berserk, she'd probably be dead by now. I had to learn how to control her, and teach her what is and isn't acceptable.
     
centerchannel68
Baninated
Join Date: Dec 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 29, 2007, 09:18 PM
 
Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
Quit using logic mac128k-1984. You'll get no where with that line of thinking.

But I agree with you 100%
Take your own advice and ditch your bible.

Christianity is a manmade religion, has a false god, and is responsible for millions of deaths. Christians= morons.
     
mac128k-1984  (op)
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jun 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 29, 2007, 10:26 PM
 
Originally Posted by centerchannel68 View Post
Take your own advice and ditch your bible.
Actually you have it backwards. It would be illogical for him ditch the Bible.

You should try reading it, you have some serious anger issues that if you allowed God to work in your life you might be able to over-come.
Michael
     
design219
Professional Poster
Join Date: Oct 2004
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 29, 2007, 10:30 PM
 
He's angry and he has a high-powered spud snipper thingy.
__________________________________________________

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.
     
centerchannel68
Baninated
Join Date: Dec 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 29, 2007, 11:17 PM
 
Originally Posted by mac128k-1984 View Post
Actually you have it backwards. It would be illogical for him ditch the Bible.

You should try reading it, you have some serious anger issues that if you allowed God to work in your life you might be able to over-come.
You mean like go on crusades and kill millions of people who disagree with me? Sounds like a blast. Maybe I can just stone people to death who disagree with me, or have them torn apart by bears.
     
Rev-O
Mac Elite
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Parker, Colorado
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 29, 2007, 11:18 PM
 
Originally Posted by centerchannel68 View Post
Or it's called being responsible for urban sprawl, and consuming a lot more than you really need to be. When I graduate, I'm confident I'll get a pretty sweet job, and together, we'll be quite well off. And sorry, I won't ever be dropping a few grand on a ****ing playset. Ever. Your argument sounds like most SUV owners who just claim "I"m jealous cuz I can't afford one". You're wrong. If I had a million trillion billion dollars, I would not own a Hummer. Ever. If I had to get an SUV, I'd probably get an old Jeep Cherokee or something, the boxy kind. If I HAD to get a swingset, I'd build it myself. I'm not a blatent consumer who consumes just because they can, like you.
Can you back up to make the connection between buying a swingset and being responsible for urban sprawl? Furthermore, buying a swingset does not render a person a consumer whore any more than you building a swingset makes you a rugged individualist. Supporting your arguments will make you sound more intelligent, and do more to convince people than having a tantrum. And, answering the obvious retort, if you are not concerned with swaying people with your opinion, why post in a forum such as this?
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!
     
Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: New York City
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 29, 2007, 11:56 PM
 
Originally Posted by mac128k-1984 View Post
The girls are 16 mos. old, you cannot explain the facts of life to them quite yet they only understand basic commands and being 16 mos old they are incredibly curious which is why they do run at things they do not understand.
Uh, I -- or someone -- takes my 16 mo old girl out to the big bad public park EVERY DAY.
     
Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: New York City
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 29, 2007, 11:59 PM
 
Hmm...another thing. Y'all love to gang up on ole Cash -- hey, if you don't like his message, just ignore it.

I happen to agree with him on this one -- big swing playsets often say more about the parent than the kids, who might be just as happy playing with the boxes that playsets came in. I could be wrong, Cash could be wrong, whatever -- no need to beat anyone up about it.
     
centerchannel68
Baninated
Join Date: Dec 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 30, 2007, 12:00 AM
 
Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
Can you back up to make the connection between buying a swingset and being responsible for urban sprawl? Furthermore, buying a swingset does not render a person a consumer whore any more than you building a swingset makes you a rugged individualist. Supporting your arguments will make you sound more intelligent, and do more to convince people than having a tantrum. And, answering the obvious retort, if you are not concerned with swaying people with your opinion, why post in a forum such as this?
Read Captain Obvious's post. He's making it out like "If I don't want my own personal thousand+ dollar swingset for my kids, it's because I can't afford it". He never stops to consider that maybe it's because some people just don't want it. I have my reasoning for not wanting 'my own' everything, because I think it's stupid, a waste of resources, and expensive. I'd rather take advantage of playgrounds I already help pay for (taxes). I love city parks too, which means I don't want a huge gigantic lawn either. In fact, I hate lawns. I'd be happy with a rooftop garden, really.
     
paul w
Mac Elite
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Vente: Achat
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 30, 2007, 12:01 AM
 
It's important to expose our young to the common folk early so as to lessen the inevitable shock later in life.

Be sure to have plenty of those disinfecting wipes on hand, however.
     
centerchannel68
Baninated
Join Date: Dec 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 30, 2007, 12:01 AM
 
Originally Posted by Timo View Post
Uh, I -- or someone -- takes my 16 mo old girl out to the big bad public park EVERY DAY.
Yeah, but your kids probably aren't stupid. When you have stupid kids, they can easily be killed at a public park. We had metal slides when I was a kid. The bottom part got beat down a little from kids swinging onto the slide at the top. There was a noticable gap between the sides of the slide, and the slide itself. I noticed it. So did most kids. But there was this one STUPID kid, who put his fingers around the edges of the slide and went down it. Zzziiiiiiip. Off they went. They sewed them all back on, of course, only to have him wind up with 3 felonies before he was 21. Again, stupid kid. Personally, I think the more dangerous the playground equipment, the better. I remember we had tire swings, roller slides (a slide comprised of rollers, that had pinched thousands of fingers, a big rusty merry go round, and lots of other rusty metal playthings that kids had to be INTELLIGENT not to get hurt on.
     
centerchannel68
Baninated
Join Date: Dec 2006
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 30, 2007, 12:03 AM
 
Originally Posted by Timo View Post
I happen to agree with him on this one -- big swing playsets often say more about the parent than the kids, who might be just as happy playing with the boxes that playsets came in. I could be wrong, Cash could be wrong, whatever -- no need to beat anyone up about it.
Egg-zactly. They somehow feel spending a few grand on a playset will make up for the fact that they don't spend enough time with their kids or something. That or it's a 'keeping up with the jones's' fad. And sorry Mac128k, I still don't believe you that you don't live near any parks. You sound like someone who lives in a beige house in the suburbs, if I ever heard one.
     
andi*pandi
Moderator
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: inside 128, north of 90
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 30, 2007, 12:21 AM
 
^it's one thing to disagree about it, another to make judgement calls like that one.

Who knew playgrounds were so controversial?

next let's discuss the merits/downsides of juice boxes.
     
Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Chicago
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 30, 2007, 02:48 AM
 
If you live in Manhattan its a little different to claim that its impractical to have a personal playground outside like the one we've been discussing when the truth is that you couldn't have one even if you wanted to because there is no room. Of course you're going to take your kid to a public park then. You don't have much of a choice when you live in a crowded area like that.

If you have the room and your neighbor with kids the same age as yours hasn't already built one its retarded not to put one up. I had a baseball field a block away but between me and my friends we didn't need to rely on it as our only place to play. I had the yard we could play football in and the swing set, the guy two houses down had the basketball hoop, one of the girls on the next block had the pool, and if there was a game on field we'd just play 500 at someone else's yard. Not to mention we had "woods" (which by city standards is just a small stretch of yet undeveloped land) to play in. All of it was on private property.

Its simply not a bad investment to build your own playground if you have little kids. When they want to play at 8PM or when you have family parties where large numbers of children will be at your home its just superior to have someplace for them to play so you don't have to walk them half a mile to a park.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency
     
 
Thread Tools
 
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:49 PM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2017 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.,