Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Liimit of burnt CDs with the SuperDrive

Liimit of burnt CDs with the SuperDrive
ARENA
Mac Elite
Mar 14, 2003, 12:58 PM

I have to do a project which requires me to burn about 300 cds with a QuickTime presentation. The only burner i have is the SuperDrive in my TiBook, so i wonder how many discs can i burn without causing any harm to the drive...Is there a known limit of burns to burners iun general, and specifically, to the SuperDrive?

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

morlium
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 14, 2003, 01:01 PM

How many burns could a burner burn if a burner could burn burns?

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Anyway, I don't believe there is any cap on the amount of burning a CD-R drive can do.

You may encounter some coasters along the way, but all in all, you should be fine.
Michael Simon, Executive Editor
Collar and Carapace Press

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Mar 14, 2003, 05:10 PM

As long as it didn't get too hot you shouldn't get into trouble.
The way I see it though, say your drive will do 2000 discs before it dies, then you're 300 less on that number.

morlium: clever joke, I liked that

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 14, 2003, 06:00 PM

Most drives are built to read and write thousands of disks.
( Last edited by seanyepez; Mar 14, 2003 at 06:15 PM. )

Karim
Senior User
Mar 15, 2003, 02:30 AM

This is actually a good question.

I couldn't find specs on the UJ815 in the PBG4 SD but here is a desktop version the DVR-104 (I imagine the portable version will have a worse failure rate)

MTBF 60,000 hours for just being "on"

MTBF 12,000 hours for reading (20% total)

MTBF 1,200 hours for writing (2% total)

So, 1200 hours before failure for writing is actually not that high.

If you write a full CD at 8x speed it would take almost 10 minutes. That's 6 discs an hour making the total number of CD's you could write at around 7,200 before you can expect your drive to go caput.

However with DVD-R's it's about 1,200 before its all over.

And this is assuming no other use of the drive, so their is definately a limit to the amount of burning a drive can take.

But, making 300 copies isn't going to hurt, your only burning up to 4% of the drive's lifespan.

ARENA  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 16, 2003, 02:29 AM

That's the kind of answer i was expecting.
Thanks for the info.

Originally posted by Karim:
This is actually a good question.

I couldn't find specs on the UJ815 in the PBG4 SD but here is a desktop version the DVR-104 (I imagine the portable version will have a worse failure rate)

MTBF 60,000 hours for just being "on"

MTBF 12,000 hours for reading (20% total)

MTBF 1,200 hours for writing (2% total)

So, 1200 hours before failure for writing is actually not that high.

If you write a full CD at 8x speed it would take almost 10 minutes. That's 6 discs an hour making the total number of CD's you could write at around 7,200 before you can expect your drive to go caput.

However with DVD-R's it's about 1,200 before its all over.

And this is assuming no other use of the drive, so their is definately a limit to the amount of burning a drive can take.

But, making 300 copies isn't going to hurt, your only burning up to 4% of the drive's lifespan.

SplijinX
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 16, 2003, 09:08 PM

I can't imagine the sheer fact of having to insert and eject 300 CDs, best of luck to you on the project.
Are those free-ranged animal crackers?

spiff41398
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 16, 2003, 09:57 PM

Just make sure you burn in batches and to stop at regular intervals to allow the drive to cool off.

I just finished burning 100 CDs for a wedding giveaway and after the 90th disc, I consistently produced coasters. After experimentation, I found out that the CD-R laser was not functioning anymore (CD-RW still worked). It's a good thing I still had warranty and the store just replaced it with a brand new unit (LG 4320B combo drive).

You can also buy a fast IDE burner and plop it in an external Firewire case, so you don't risk shortening the life of your SuperDrive.

Dave Hagan
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 16, 2003, 10:21 PM

I would think it would be cheaper to have them sent out to a duplicating facility where you could have the CDs pressed.
Dave Hagan | Apple Certified Technical Coordinator | iMac G5 1.9GHz | PowerBook G4 1.5GHz | Power Mac G4 933 MHz

romeosc
Mac Elite
Mar 16, 2003, 10:50 PM

Originally posted by Dave Hagan:
I would think it would be cheaper to have them sent out to a duplicating facility where you could have the CDs pressed.
..... $60 per thousand. One day delivery

Karim
Senior User
Mar 16, 2003, 10:55 PM

That seems like a good price. Who have you used to do mass duplication?

Forum Links
Forum Rules