Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Police discrimination, misconduct, Ferguson, MO, the Roman Legion, and now math???

Police discrimination, misconduct, Ferguson, MO, the Roman Legion, and now math??? (Page 14)
Thread Tools
Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Shaddim's sock drawer
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 10, 2014, 07:12 PM
 
Frankly that sounds a lot more justified than the Brown shooting.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr
     
subego
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 10, 2014, 07:16 PM
 
Whether this person was shot in cold blood, and whether a DA can prosecute given no other witnesses, are not the same.

To be clear, I think prosecutors are the scum of the earth, and most would totally protect a guilty cop, of which their numbers are legion.

The most upright DA in the universe, even with the knowledge this was likely an execution, would take a pass on this case.
     
OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 11, 2014, 12:00 AM
 
^^^

One would think that the fact that the FORENSICS EVIDENCE shows that this guy was shot from behind would be enough to warrant trial at a minimum. But this is STL. Just like seven eyewitnesses most likely won't be enough to warrant a trial for Darren Wilson. The bottom line is that the judicial system doesn't really value black life. Not when a white cop's freedom is at stake. There's no other way to CREDIBLY read the historical record in this regard. Just saying ....

OAW
     
subego
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 11, 2014, 02:12 PM
 
I feel the forensic details of the shooting are a little thin in that report. I'll see if I can dig up the actual autopsy. Fair?
     
subego
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 11, 2014, 02:26 PM
 
Didn't find the autopsy, but the attorney Pine Lawn uses to independently review police cases is the same attorney hired by Michael Brown's family.

He says this was kosher.

That seems like pretty solid evidence in my book.


Edit: http://m.stltoday.com/news/local/cri...ile_touch=true
( Last edited by subego; Nov 11, 2014 at 02:52 PM. )
     
OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 11, 2014, 03:21 PM
 
Originally Posted by subego View Post
Didn't find the autopsy, but the attorney Pine Lawn uses to independently review police cases is the same attorney hired by Michael Brown's family.

He says this was kosher.

That seems like pretty solid evidence in my book.


Edit: Family wants answers in case of fatal shooting by Pine Lawn police officer : News
I don't think it's that clear cut ....

Just a few hours after the shooting, Pine Lawn police Lt. Steven Blakeney signed a “use of force” report indicating the use of force used in Jones’ death complied with department policy.

“We have no reason to believe our officer did anything wrong at this point,” Pine Lawn Public Safety Director Anthony D. Gray, an attorney who supervises the Pine Lawn Police Department, told a reporter from KMOV (Channel 4) that day. “But we are going to allow the independent investigation to either confirm or refute that belief that we have.”

If Gray’s name sounds familiar, it should. He’s the local attorney for Brown’s parents, and has been pressing for outside investigations of police shootings.

And he was a lot less inclined to let the county police investigation run its course after Brown’s death. Right from the start, the legal team criticized local authorities and called for a federal civil rights investigation.

Gray insisted the Brown and Jones cases were not alike. “If there had been even a scintilla of direct evidence that Jones was surrendering when shot,” he wrote in an email, “you could perhaps make a thinly plausible evidentiary comparison.”
And I agree. The two cases are NOT alike. The only similarities are that it's an unarmed black man shot and killed by a white police officer. Jones may very well have been resisting. But the report said Jones was shot in the "rear of his right arm" ... which seems to indicate he was shot from behind. And Mr. Gray deferred to the "independent investigation". But that was conducted by this guy ...

The investigation was led by Joseph Percich, a county police homicide detective. County police said they would not make him available for comment.

At the time county police took over the Pine Lawn case, Percich was himself a defendant in a federal lawsuit under the Americans with Disabilities Act, claiming he and another officer had violated the rights of a schizophrenic man by using a Taser nine times to bring him under control in 2008.
Macharia said Percich has returned her calls, but has told her there was little about the case he could share. She said he didn’t know if the case would be presented to a grand jury. She said he told her there was little evidence beyond the officer’s statement, and her brother’s criminal history could come into play.

She said she did not have faith that Percich could conduct an impartial investigation.

“He wouldn’t have an unbiased view because he’s in a similar situation,” she said. “Somebody died at his hands due to excessive force. He’d never be able to carry out an investigation on a fellow officer.”
A guy who told Jones' sister straight up that "there was little evidence beyond the officer’s statement, and her brother’s criminal history could come into play". So in my view, once again we have an unarmed black man shot from behind ... but the judicial system simply took the white officer's word for what happened. After all, dead men tell no tales. Especially if one is not inclined to question an officer's account based upon forensics evidence. And this part should concern anyone in my estimation ...

Petrov wasn’t present for what happened next, but his report continued.

“PO Stone observed the suspect run south from the wrecked vehicle and … then ran and caught up to the fleeing suspect,” he wrote.

According to Petrov, Stone shot the driver with his Taser. When the leads hit Jones’ body, Stone fired a five-second electrical charge. Jones fell but quickly got back up “and continued his resistance.” Stone applied another five-second charge, and the “suspect continued his resistance and attempts to flee.” He continued running even after a third charge.

Stone caught up and tried to punch Jones to the ground, Petrov wrote. Jones swung at Stone and threatened to kill him.

Then Jones reached into his front waistband, Petrov wrote. Stone ordered Jones to show his hands, then shot him once, the report said. Jones ran another five to six feet, and collapsed. No gun was found.
So how exactly is Officer Petrov writing the police report about what happened and he wasn't even there because he drove the passenger back to Pine Lawn while Officer Stone pursued Jones? Yet that was the basis for the official police account.

OAW
     
subego
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 11, 2014, 03:36 PM
 
To be clear...

You're proposing I can be more on top of the pertinent details in this case by reading the paper, than by being the attorney for Michael Brown's family?

This strains credulity.
     
subego
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 11, 2014, 04:05 PM
 
I also feel you are laboring under the assumption prosecutors prosecute guilty people. They don't. They prosecute cases they can win. Guilt or innocence plays a surprisingly small role in the process.

This is why I do things like call prosecutors "scum of the earth", and why it you have a desire for justice (as we both seem to) you're going to have a hard time of it.
     
OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 11, 2014, 04:08 PM
 
Originally Posted by subego View Post
To be clear...

You're proposing I can be more on top of the pertinent details in this case by reading the paper, than by being the attorney for Michael Brown's family?

This strains credulity.
What I'm saying is that per the article you seem to be placing more weight on Mr. Gray's statement than perhaps it warrants. All we have is what he said beforehand ....

“We have no reason to believe our officer did anything wrong at this point,” Pine Lawn Public Safety Director Anthony D. Gray, an attorney who supervises the Pine Lawn Police Department, told a reporter from KMOV (Channel 4) that day. “But we are going to allow the independent investigation to either confirm or refute that belief that we have.

And he was a lot less inclined to let the county police investigation run its course after Brown’s death. Right from the start, the legal team criticized local authorities and called for a federal civil rights investigation.

Gray insisted the Brown and Jones cases were not alike. “If there had been even a scintilla of direct evidence that Jones was surrendering when shot,” he wrote in an email, “you could perhaps make a thinly plausible evidentiary comparison.”
But nowhere in the report does it explicitly state one way or the other that Mr. Gray actually AGREED with the results of the investigation conducted by STL County PD. Maybe he does ... maybe he doesn't. I really don't know and the article simply doesn't say. Regardless, I for one am still troubled by an unarmed guy getting shot from behind. Even if he was resisting arrest. Especially when the Taser timestamp says that it was fired 30 minutes after the guy was killed. Because let's face it. Either that's one helluva coincidence or the officer was trying to cover his tracks after the fact. OTOH, the guy was drunk out of his mind, his passenger thought he was tripping and got out of the car. Dude then fled the officer, crashed the vehicle, and took off running. So I certainly think it's plausible that there was some sort of altercation when the officer caught up to him. As I said he's simply not a sympathetic figure. But regardless of whether someone is "sympathetic" or not, I think we as a society need to get to the point where an unarmed person being killed by the police warrants hard evidence as justification and not simply the officer's word.

OAW
     
OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 11, 2014, 04:09 PM
 
Originally Posted by subego View Post
I also feel you are laboring under the assumption prosecutors prosecute guilty people. They don't. They prosecute cases they can win. Guilt or innocence plays a surprisingly small role in the process.

This is why I do things like call prosecutors "scum of the earth", and why it you have a desire for justice (as we both seem to) you're going to have a hard time of it.
Oh believe me I totally understand this. It's an unfortunately reality. But I certainly wish it wasn't so.

OAW
     
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 11, 2014, 04:12 PM
 
Originally Posted by subego View Post
I also feel you are laboring under the assumption prosecutors prosecute guilty people. They don't. They prosecute cases they can win. Guilt or innocence plays a surprisingly small role in the process.
What should their job be?

This strikes me of one of those times where appearance and reality are miles apart in most peoples minds.
     
subego
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 11, 2014, 04:28 PM
 
I'm confused by your question. Their job should be to prosecute guilty people, right?
     
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 11, 2014, 04:32 PM
 
Yeah.

I could see an argument about not wasting public fund or somesuch on fruitless endeavors or something.
     
subego
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 11, 2014, 04:32 PM
 
Originally Posted by OAW View Post
What I'm saying is that per the article you seem to be placing more weight on Mr. Gray's statement than perhaps it warrants. All we have is what he said beforehand ....



But nowhere in the report does it explicitly state one way or the other that Mr. Gray actually AGREED with the results of the investigation conducted by STL County PD. Maybe he does ... maybe he doesn't. I really don't know and the article simply doesn't say. Regardless, I for one am still troubled by an unarmed guy getting shot from behind. Even if he was resisting arrest. Especially when the Taser timestamp says that it was fired 30 minutes after the guy was killed. Because let's face it. Either that's one helluva coincidence or the officer was trying to cover his tracks after the fact. OTOH, the guy was drunk out of his mind, his passenger thought he was tripping and got out of the car. Dude then fled the officer, crashed the vehicle, and took off running. So I certainly think it's plausible that there was some sort of altercation when the officer caught up to him. As I said he's simply not a sympathetic figure. But regardless of whether someone is "sympathetic" or not, I think we as a society need to get to the point where an unarmed person being killed by the police warrants hard evidence as justification and not simply the officer's word.

OAW
You brought up evidence for why we should question the integrity of the investigators. Gray was almost undoubtedly privy to the same information, and he didn't question their integrity.
     
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 11, 2014, 04:39 PM
 
I'm not sure I read correctly, but the grand jury decision might be coming today?
     
subego
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 11, 2014, 05:57 PM
 
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Yeah.

I could see an argument about not wasting public fund or somesuch on fruitless endeavors or something.
This is definitely a thing. Resources are limited, use them in a maximally efficient manner. Losing cases gets you fired.

What's just as bad, if not worse, is prosecutors very successfully run for office based on their win rate.
     
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 11, 2014, 06:06 PM
 
Originally Posted by subego View Post
What's just as bad, if not worse, is prosecutors very successfully run for office based on their win rate.
That's understandable given the low information voter thing. Still, I imagine all it takes is one high profile case you decline to prosecute and your opponent runs ads about you being soft on crime.
     
OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 11, 2014, 06:11 PM
 
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I'm not sure I read correctly, but the grand jury decision might be coming today?
Per the Prosecuting Attorney the grand jury decision won't be released until at least Nov. 15.

OAW
     
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 11, 2014, 06:12 PM
 
Okay. Another forum I read I saw something about the National Guard coming in having hotel reservations (rumormongering, I assume)
     
OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 11, 2014, 06:17 PM
 
As I've said from the beginning as soon as STL County Prosecutor Bob McCulloch took this to a grand jury and allowed Darren Wilson to mount a "defense" without cross-examination the fix was in. You don't make these kinds of preparations in advance otherwise.

Law enforcement agencies from Missouri and local agencies will all work in a unified command when the Ferguson grand jury decision is reached, Gov. Jay Nixon said at a press conference here Tuesday.

The Missouri National Guard will be part of that contingency planning "when we determine it is necessary to support local law enforcement," Nixon said.


Nixon said police are preparing for peaceful protests, but would also be ready to respond if things get violent.

The governor said the violence and property damage that occurred among some protesters after Michael Brown was shot and killed on Aug. 9 "were not representative of Missouri and cannot be repeated."

In anticipation of Nixon's press conference, protesters released prepared statements.

“For nearly 100 days, the preponderance of violence has come from the hands of police," said community organizer Damon Davis. "We have proven we can peacefully assemble and function at a protest, can the police say the same?”

Added Taurean Russell, cofounder of HandsUpUnited.org: "Governer Nixon’s choice to act unilaterally in this police plan is a slap in the face to every protester who has worked tirelessly over the past 90+ days to reach peaceful solutions.”

Among their efforts, protesters have asked Nixon to appoint a special prosecutor in the case.

St. Louis County Prosecuting Attorney Robert McCulloch said Monday that the grand jury is still working on the case. He repeated that the grand jury would likely complete their work in mid- to late November.
Nixon: Police from state, local agencies will respond after Ferguson grand jury decision : STLToday.com

OAW
     
subego
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 11, 2014, 06:28 PM
 
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
That's understandable given the low information voter thing. Still, I imagine all it takes is one high profile case you decline to prosecute and your opponent runs ads about you being soft on crime.
Which is why, in this scenario, the prosecutorial mind starts forming a plan to railroad the ****er.
     
OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 14, 2014, 02:46 PM
 
Doesn't look like Ferguson Police Chief Jackson will be going anywhere soon. The only way around his refusal to step down would be for Ferguson to disband the entire department and have STL County PD provide police services.

For weeks, federal and state officials have been privately — and sometimes publicly — ratcheting up the pressure on Ferguson Police Chief Thomas Jackson to step down.

Those officials hope that protesters, angry over the shooting of an unarmed black teenager by a white Ferguson police officer, would see Jackson’s ouster as a sign of good faith.

They also want to blunt the effects of any unrest if a St. Louis County grand jury decides not to indict Officer Darren Wilson in the shooting death of Michael Brown. That decision is expected before the end of the month.

Jackson has refused to retire or resign, saying he would leave the department only on his own terms.

And because of a fairly new state law, Jackson may be able dictate the terms of his departure.

The law, passed by Missouri lawmakers in 2013 and signed by Gov. Jay Nixon, protects police chiefs from the whims of politicians and was supported by some of Jackson’s most vocal critics.

It says police chiefs can be discharged only if a governing body holds a hearing and decides in a two-thirds vote that there is “just cause” to remove him.

For just cause, at least one of six factors must exist. Those factors include committing a felony or being found incompetent because of alcohol or substance abuse.

The other four factors are: insubordination; showing “reckless disregard for the safety of the public or another law enforcement officer;” causing a material fact to be misrepresented for an improper or unlawful purpose; and acting “for the sole purpose of furthering his or her self-interest or in a manner inconsistent with the interests of the public or the chief’s governing body.”
Ferguson chief resists continued efforts to remove him : STLToday.com

OAW
     
OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 14, 2014, 06:16 PM
 
More bad behavior by Darren Wilson. Here he is abusing his authority and arresting a guy for filming him:

Guy: What's your name sir?

Wilson: You want to take a picture of me one more time I'm going to lock your ass up.

Guy: Sir I'm not taking a picture of you I'm recording this incident sir.

Wilson: Come here.

Guy: Do I not have the right to ...

Wilson: No you don't. Come on.

Guy: to record. Sir you just allowed me, you asked ...

Wilson: Come on. :::::snatches the camera ... fade to black::::::
Darren Wilson illegally arresting a guy for recording him | YouTube.com

OAW
     
subego
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 14, 2014, 07:21 PM
 
I guess we now know his opinion on dash/body cams.
     
OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 15, 2014, 12:24 AM
 
Lawyered up ... and no visible injuries. Imagine that.

Videos obtained by the St. Louis Post-Dispatch show Ferguson Police Officer Darren Wilson leaving the police station hours after he shot dead unarmed teen Michael Brown, and dispatch audio records Wilson's voice before the Aug. 9 shooting.

The video was obtained by the Post-Dispatch under Missouri's Sunshine Law, the paper said. It show Wilson leaving the police station for the hospital, flanked by other officers and a union lawyer, two hours after the shooting, the Post-Dispatch reported. They are seen returning to the police station two and a half hours later, the paper reported.
Video Shows Darren Wilson After Michael Brown Shooting: Report - NBC News

OAW
     
Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Shaddim's sock drawer
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 15, 2014, 02:04 AM
 
His skull would have to be caved in, or he'd have to be wearing a sling, to be able to see any injuries in that video. That's damned ignorant.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr
     
OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 15, 2014, 09:28 AM
 
There are plenty of still images of him standing at the scene for hours. Not a scratch or bruise on him. Nothing that would even remotely suggest some sort of "life or death" struggle. Going to the hospital was all part of the cover story to manufacture an excuse for murdering Mike Brown in cold blood. As SEVEN eyewitnesses all said he did.

OAW
     
Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Shaddim's sock drawer
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 15, 2014, 12:38 PM
 
Yeah, I've heard about those infamous images, even seen them for myself, but obviously there must be some magic goggles required to see that there's nothing wrong with him, because I couldn't tell from looking at them.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr
     
OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 15, 2014, 11:21 PM
 
^^^

A so called "life or death struggle". Where a 300 pound dude supposedly punched you repeatedly in the face to the point where YOU claim you were damned near knocked the f*ck out. But for HOURS afterwards you don't have a scratch or a bruise on you. And THEN ... not immediately ... you decide to seek medical attention. There are those of us in this world who are intelligent enough to recognize that for the bullshit that it is. Apparently you are not among our ranks.

OAW
     
Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Shaddim's sock drawer
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 16, 2014, 02:14 AM
 
You can't tell there's "not a scratch or a bruise on him" from those images, like the video, none are clear enough. One thing you said is correct, though, I'm not among your ranks.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr
     
OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 16, 2014, 02:21 AM
 
^^^

There's a term for that you know. It's called willful blindness. And it suits you so well.

OAW
     
Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Shaddim's sock drawer
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 16, 2014, 03:08 AM
 
You tend to only see what you want to see, jump to conclusions, then you make up the rest (whether that's conscious or not is anyone's guess), and that makes it impossible for any rational person to see things from your perspective. That's what tends to happen when you only follow information from one side of an issue (the one you desperately want to be correct). I don't have an emotional investment in this, I don't have a side at all, but I will say that everyone involved with this, on both sides, is lying and manipulating to get whatever it is they want and the whole thing stinks to hell.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr
     
BadKosh
Professional Poster
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Just west of DC.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 17, 2014, 09:56 AM
 
They are going to set their town on fire for Thanksgiving. Tantrums instead of cool heads. Obama and Sharpton have already seen to that.

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2014...tay-on-course/
( Last edited by BadKosh; Nov 17, 2014 at 10:05 AM. Reason: added link to news report)
     
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 17, 2014, 01:40 PM
 
Originally Posted by OAW View Post
More bad behavior by Darren Wilson. Here he is abusing his authority and arresting a guy for filming him: Darren Wilson illegally arresting a guy for recording him | YouTube.com
More detailed reporting: Ferguson: video shows Darren Wilson arresting man for recording him | US news | The Guardian
Arman, 30, was charged with failing to comply with Wilson’s orders. He claimed in an interview on Saturday that the charge was dropped after he told his lawyer he had video footage of the incident. Arman, who runs a small housing non-profit, has a criminal record and has previously been charged with resisting arrest.
Court and police officials in Ferguson could not be reached for comment. When asked on Friday whether the officer in the video clip was Wilson, a spokesman for the Ferguson police department told the Guardian in an email: “I don’t think that is him.” The spokesman did not respond to further questions.

But a police incident report confirms that Wilson arrested Arman at his home on Redmond Avenue on 28 October 2013. The report states Wilson had arrived to issue a court summons regarding derelict vehicles that were being left on the property in violation of city rules. Redacted images of the report were first published by the Free Thought Project.

Wilson wrote in his report that Arman became upset and said he wanted to record the encounter. Wilson said he told him “a voice recording would be acceptable” but Arman “refused to answer any questions or co-operate as he lifted the phone to begin a video recording of myself” and “stated that I must state my name to him” as Wilson asked for more information on the vehicles.

Arman disputed Wilson’s account of the start of their encounter, saying that he “began recording within moments of Wilson approaching the property” and that Wilson only mentioned a voice recording being acceptable after Arman had been arrested.

Despite being shown at the other end of Arman’s garden path, Wilson wrote in his report that he told Arman “to remove the camera from my face”. He claimed to have asked Arman to place his hands behind his back, which is not visible or audible from the recording. “I was forced to grab his wrists one at a time and secure them into handcuffs,” Wilson wrote.

Wilson drove Arman to the Ferguson police department headquarters where he was charged with failure to comply and breaching regulations on pit bull dogs. The officer noted that he had been unable to enter the rear yard of Arman’s property “due to the pit bulls”. Arman claimed that the charge relating to pit bulls was dropped when he proved his pet was a bulldog.
No angel.
     
Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Shaddim's sock drawer
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 17, 2014, 01:44 PM
 
I don't believe anyone in here ever said he was.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr
     
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 17, 2014, 01:46 PM
 
Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
I don't believe anyone in here ever said he was.
It was a reference to commentary on reports of Travyon Martin.
     
OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 17, 2014, 02:28 PM
 
I must say this captures the situation quite nicely ...



OAW
     
BadKosh
Professional Poster
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Just west of DC.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 17, 2014, 03:33 PM
 
I sure hope both sides can restrain themselves, or it rains like cats n dogs so everyone stays inside. Having no violent outburst would be news in itself.
     
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 17, 2014, 04:26 PM
 
Executive Order 14-14 | Governor Jay Nixon

The governor just declared a month-long State of Emergency in Ferguson. WTF
     
Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Shaddim's sock drawer
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 17, 2014, 05:09 PM
 
With all the media's talk of riots if Wilson isn't indicted, this is a surprise?
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr
     
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 17, 2014, 05:14 PM
 
Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
With all the media's talk of riots if Wilson isn't indicted, this is a surprise?
I suppose I'm being illogical, but I'd have the statement drafted and ready to be signed the moment things went off the rails. Maybe I'm wrong, but I assume these guys will be present before a damn thing occurs, and that reeks of intimidation. Not to mention things tend to escalate when the police are brought in (See: The first time)
     
OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 17, 2014, 05:22 PM
 
Several weeks ago it was reported that the STL County PD had spent about $100K on new "riot gear". That's a lot of grip to spend on something that may not even be necessary. Unless of course, the fix was already in and STL County Prosecutor Bob McCulloch has already given them assurances that he either won't indict Wilson at all or if he does it will only be some BS "slap on the wrist" charge.

OAW
     
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 17, 2014, 05:25 PM
 
Whoops, wrong thread
     
Snow-i
Professional Poster
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Maryland
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 17, 2014, 06:27 PM
 
Originally Posted by OAW View Post
Several weeks ago it was reported that the STL County PD had spent about $100K on new "riot gear". That's a lot of grip to spend on something that may not even be necessary. Unless of course, the fix was already in and STL County Prosecutor Bob McCulloch has already given them assurances that he either won't indict Wilson at all or if he does it will only be some BS "slap on the wrist" charge.

OAW
Or perhaps they are hoping for the best while preparing for the worst.

You know where I stand on the militarization of police, and i support the people of Ferguson in their 1st amendment right to protest peacefully without having AR-15s pointed at their faces. That said, in any gathering of people a few troublemakers can get things out of hand quickly, and it is still the police's duty to keep the peace according to the law to protect innocent protesters caught in the melee.

If it were up to me I'd remove the Ferguson police force altogether and send the state troopers in until this matter is settled.

Though Wilson may not be an ideal servant of the public, I still have trouble being outraged over the death of a man only 20 minutes removed from strong-armed robbery at the hands of the police. Wilson may not have known the man was part of the robbery, but the man had no way of knowing the police were unawares and more than likely assumed that Wilson was there to take him down for the robbery he just committed.
     
subego
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 17, 2014, 06:59 PM
 
I forget if this has been mentioned in the thread yet, if it's actual riot gear, that's defensive, as in it makes it harder for a cop who's wearing it to seriously injure you.

It makes you the Michelin Man.
     
subego
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 17, 2014, 07:37 PM
 
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Executive Order 14-14 | Governor Jay Nixon

The governor just declared a month-long State of Emergency in Ferguson. WTF
If it goes to trial, this is the best troll ever.
     
Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Shaddim's sock drawer
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 17, 2014, 10:20 PM
 
Originally Posted by OAW View Post
Several weeks ago it was reported that the STL County PD had spent about $100K on new "riot gear". That's a lot of grip to spend on something that may not even be necessary. Unless of course, the fix was already in and STL County Prosecutor Bob McCulloch has already given them assurances that he either won't indict Wilson at all or if he does it will only be some BS "slap on the wrist" charge.

OAW
You apparently haven't been pricing defensive tactical gear lately, have you? That's not a lot.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr
     
Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Shaddim's sock drawer
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 17, 2014, 10:23 PM
 
Originally Posted by subego View Post
I forget if this has been mentioned in the thread yet, if it's actual riot gear, that's defensive, as in it makes it harder for a cop who's wearing it to seriously injure you.

It makes you the Michelin Man.
Indeed, this isn't for improving offensive capability.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr
     
BadKosh
Professional Poster
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Just west of DC.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 18, 2014, 10:01 AM
 
Ferguson police will only be in the background, with St. Louis police doing the heavy lifting along with the National Guard. Of course the ass canyons from the Occupy Wall St./Rape tent clan have been training the 'protesters' and helping to stir things up, so yeah its intimidation by outsiders mostly. I hope more than a few of the violent clowns get it the 2nd amendment way if they try to loot & burn the small businesses.
     
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 18, 2014, 10:30 AM
 
Originally Posted by subego View Post
If it goes to trial, this is the best troll ever.
My lord, yes. I think I'd riot in protest of the troll.
     
 
Thread Tools
 
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:02 PM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2017 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.,