Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Startup "Option"

Startup "Option"
electroJerm
Forum Regular
Sep 11, 2001, 05:19 AM

I read somewhere on these forums that holding down the option key when starting up will let you select from different boot options. Is there any way to choose a startup system folder this way or is this only a feature used by people with multiple drives? I hate when I instinctively restart without remembering to check the startup disk control panel / system preference. Ruins my day.

While I'm at it, I might as well ask this:
Every so often when I switch from 9.2 to 10.0.4, I get kernel panic upon OS X login. First of all, for a OS X newbie, what exactly IS a kernel panic? How is it caused? What might I compare it to in OS 9, etc. Secondly, any idea what causes this on startup/login? Forces me to restart. Ruins my day.
My name is Jeremy Cogan, and my thoughts are here: JeremyCogan.com

jock
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 11, 2001, 05:41 AM

The startup option only works with multiple disks or partitions, if you have 10 and 9 on the same partition then use the control panel.
Kernal panic is not good, I would reinstall 10.

electroJerm  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 11, 2001, 05:52 AM

OS X is working perfectly for me right now... its just a weird startup thing... once I reset OS X again, it always seems to be fine the second time around? I just don't understand what caused it. I haven't messed with the OS at all... its just the standard factory installed 4R14 that came with my quicksilver.
My name is Jeremy Cogan, and my thoughts are here: JeremyCogan.com

jock
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 12, 2001, 08:17 AM

A couple of things to try,
Zap the pram as I think it may be a start up issue relating to selecting the system folder to start from.
Does this happen if you boot into 9?
Also what is the message when the kernal panic happens, try and write it down it usually gives a clue.
I guess you could call apple as your machine is brand new
Hope this helps

jock
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 12, 2001, 08:17 AM

A couple of things to try,
Zap the pram as I think it may be a start up issue relating to selecting the system folder to start from.
Does this happen if you boot into 9?
Also what is the message when the kernal panic happens, try and write it down it usually gives a clue.
I guess you could call apple as your machine is brand new
Hope this helps

tmornini
Sep 12, 2001, 07:52 PM

Originally posted by electroJerm:
<STRONG>First of all, for a OS X newbie, what exactly IS a kernel panic? How is it caused? What might I compare it to in OS 9, etc. Secondly, any idea what causes this on startup/login? Forces me to restart. Ruins my day.</STRONG>
The kernel is the true core of the operating system. If the kernel doesn't panic, then the OS is up and running, even if small (applications) or large (subsystems, such as Quartz Graphics) cannot operate.

The closest thing in pre-OS X would be the ubiquitous "bomb" window or a hard freeze.
--
-- Tom Mornini

Forum Links
Forum Rules