Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > windows burnt dvd-r's in panther

windows burnt dvd-r's in panther
piovere
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 16, 2003, 11:05 PM

Just made the switch on a 12" g4, and have had only this problem (at least, this is the only problem that i couldn't solve in a couple of minutes)--

I can't play dvd's that I recorded in my WinXP desktop. They were recorded using the latest nero and work fine in my XP laptop and my TV-type dvd player, but not in my roomate's panther-running g4 desktop. This is true for apple and non apple approved dvd-r's. the discs won't even mount, and neither will a vcd burned in windows (audio cd from the same computer worked fine, as did a data cd).

I haven't tried it with a data dvd as I haven't got any of those. A commercial DVD and a DVD burned on an apple both worked.

help?!

jamerican
Nov 17, 2003, 12:13 PM

I routinely play dvd-+r's burnt in WinXP Home on my G4 without any problems. I do not use Nero, however. One thing I have found is that if the dvd-+r does not have an AUDIO_TS folder on it, it is not recognized by the Apple DVD Player. In such cases, I have to mount them from a FW DVD-ROM drive to access the VIDEO_TS folder on the disc.
2007 iMac 24" 2.4 Core2Duo (currently 1Gig Ram), 4 FW400 hd's, 1 FW 800 HD, Brother MFC420N,, Liteon DVD-RW, Epson R320.

daftpig
Forum Regular
Nov 17, 2003, 01:02 PM

Have you tried VLC?

(Get from versiontracker)

piovere  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 17, 2003, 06:02 PM

I have tried VLC (now), to no avail. The DVD doesn't even mount on the mac (the drive doesn't even sound like it's spinning up, so I can't just point the programs to its VIDEO_TS folder.

The DVDs in question do not have an AUDIO_TS folder, but neither do the ones that work...

Attempts to manually mount did not work, possibly because i am unsure which device the dvd actually is...

jr

Forum Links
Forum Rules