Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Cultural things you think others don't know?

Cultural things you think others don't know?
Synotic
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2005, 01:00 AM

In an attempt to highlight our differences, I'd like to hear some of the little cultural quirks about different areas or countries. I'll start:

West coast vs. East coast: West says "binder" for the larger, zippered binders, while the East says "trapper." West says soda, east says pop (probably more well known).

France (probably other countries too): All carts are connected to one another when stationed in the cart area. To disconnect them, you have to put in a Euro or a coin shaped like one to remove the cart. Annoying, but it keeps the carts out of the lots. Also there are no baggers at all, and not getting bags at all isn't uncommon (like Aldi in the US). In a supermarket, or similar big store, the cashiers are, it seems, exclusively women. (I noticed this when I saw the "uniform" in a particular store was a pink shirt; looking down the both sides, I noticed they were all women.) However, in places where there is just one cashier, there doesn't seem to be a preference. The toilets are usually separated into a separate "toilet room." Bread (a baguette) is always eaten during lunch and dinner. I don't know if it was my particular family, but every dish is wiped clean with bread. The soda cans are heavier. I don't know if it's a different alloy or distribution of metals, but it's annoying as it always seems as if there is more soda left in the can.

Feel free to be more organized.

Kevin
Baninated
Aug 11, 2005, 01:10 AM

LTNS Sy

Atomic Rooster
Aug 11, 2005, 02:28 AM

I was raised on aunt, then a few years ago I noticed people pronouncing it awnt...especially black African Americans.

Did I miss something?

mojo2
Professional Poster
Aug 11, 2005, 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by Atomic Rooster
I was raised on aunt, then a few years ago I noticed people pronouncing it awnt...especially black African Americans.

Did I miss something?
Well, you kinda skipped the large subsection of folks who call it an 'aint.' As in, Aunt (pronounced Aint) Bea on the Andy Griffith Show.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 11, 2005, 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by Synotic
West says soda, east says pop (probably more well known).
South says "coke." Not as much anymore, I think, but that's the native Southern word for it.

Incidentally, funny story about that: At my mom's work once, the new guy offered to throw everyone a kind of get-to-know-you pizza party. At the end of the invitations, he wrote, "BYOP." Everybody at the office was getting pissed because they thought he meant "Bring Your Own Pizza." Fortunately, my mom had lived out east, so she recognized the term and saved him from a reputation as an amazingly bold cheapskate.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 11, 2005, 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by Atomic Rooster

Did I miss something?
You're going to have to clarify how "aunt" is pronounced differently from "awnt." I pronounce both "aunt" and "ant" the same, personally.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 11, 2005, 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
You're going to have to clarify how "aunt" is pronounced differently from "awnt." I pronounce both "aunt" and "ant" the same, personally.
Yeah, that's what he meant - he pronounces aunt as "ant," and the pronunciation to which he is referring places a short u in the word, so that it rhymes with haunt.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Aug 11, 2005, 03:54 AM

Actually in the show, "Andy Griffith" pronounces Awnt Bee like this: Aint Bay with a southern drawl...

What do you want? They named their son: Opee, pronounced: Oh-pee....

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 11, 2005, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by budster101
Actually in the show, "Andy Griffith" pronounces Awnt Bee like this: Aint Bay with a southern drawl...

What do you want? They named their son: Opee, pronounced: Oh-pee....

Right, I'm not disputing that pronunciation - although I have only heard it from one source: Andy Griffith. But the original poster was referring to the pronunciation popular in African American communities.
( Last edited by Big Mac; Aug 11, 2005 at 04:19 AM. )

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

budster101
Baninated
Aug 11, 2005, 04:15 AM

Oh. As in... Sooth Afreekin?

anthonyvthc
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 11, 2005, 04:18 AM

I moved to the west about a year ago. I was made fun of for saying 'wicked,' meaning 'extremely' (as in 'this soup is wicked hot; that girl is wicked hot). Out here ' hella' is the more appropriate word. I think that hella sucks.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 11, 2005, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by anthonyvthc
I moved to the west about a year ago. I was made fun of for saying 'wicked,' meaning 'extremely' (as in 'this soup is wicked hot; that girl is wicked hot). Out here ' hella' is the more appropriate word. I think that hella sucks.
And most of us thought Eric Cartman came up with the prefix hella.

budster101
Baninated
Aug 11, 2005, 04:25 AM

Chicago-speak.

http://www.seanparnell.com/Chicago/Chicagoese.htm

Learn to talk like a Chicagoan... o'er by dare. (Over there)

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2005, 04:27 AM

playbill and program?
iamwhor3hay

Forum Links
Forum Rules