Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New MBP is crashing like a 16 year old driver

New MBP is crashing like a 16 year old driver
motlatsi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 13, 2006, 02:26 PM

I recieved my new MBP on wednesday of last week. In 48 hours, it crashed 7 times with the grey screen, and I would have to force a restart. Mail would crash when I tried to send an email. Microsoft Word would crash when I tried to copy and paste. I would lose communication with a working wireless network.The mouse does a 1 second freeze every once in a while.

So I took it to the apple store, and he said the kernal report showed major freezes, but because the problems came from different locations, it couldn't be pinned on one cause. Because of this, he couldn't exchange it, only 2 days after purchase.

So yesterday I reformatted the computer. I zeroed out the drive, rebooted everything, and last night I had another crash. How stoked am I.

Any recommendations guys?

THanks a bunch.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 13, 2006, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by jlit
So I took it to the apple store, and he said the kernal report showed major freezes, but because the problems came from different locations, it couldn't be pinned on one cause. Because of this, he couldn't exchange it, only 2 days after purchase.
That's bizarre that he wouldn't let you exchange it. Anyway, since wiping the drive and re-installing the system didn't solve it, it is clearly a hardware issue. I'd skip the Apple Store and call the Apple Support line, and tell them that you wiped the drive and re-installed the system and it's still giving you problems, therefore hardware problem. They should let you exchange it. If they don't, ask to be transferred to their supervisor and repeat your story.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Jun 13, 2006, 02:41 PM

There really is no reason for them not to exchange it, and it sounds like he didn't even offer to get it repaired... so what the hell does that guy think you are going to do with a broken MBP??

Anyway, replacements are easy to get, just ring Apple support; I rang them for my MacBook, spoke to tech support, told them the probs, and they wanted to repair it. I said no because it is only 2 weeks old, so they said to ring sales. I rang sales, and the 1st thing I said was I want a replacement machine. She said 'have tech support agreed thats what you need?'. I said yes, and she gladly set up a replacement. My point is they are very (at least in the UK) relaxed about giving replacements, as yes, I was telling the truth, but I could have easily just rung up sales, and asked for a replacement, if, say, I dropped my MB and its was horribly scratched.
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

drewcifer
Forum Regular
Jun 14, 2006, 03:47 PM

he didnt offer to replace it or fix it?? wtf????

I wouldnt have left without a brand new replacement. You shouldve asked for the manager.
Macbook Pro 15" (fully spec'd out)

...waiting for 6g ipods.

Forum Links
Forum Rules