Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Positive Macbook Pro Feedback (for a change)

Positive Macbook Pro Feedback (for a change)
Ratspittle
Mac Enthusiast
May 30, 2006, 12:12 AM

All,
A web client recently purchased a Macbook pro 15 inch 2.16 Ghz, 1Gb Ram, 100 Gb Hd for me as payment for work, in advance. Good deal, and I had been expecting this notebook for three weeks and I may have read every thread in this forum in anticipation. It has been my experience that those with issues complain the most, and for good reason. It is sort of like the thing about the service industry. A bad experience generates three times the amount of publicity as a good one. I mean come on.....it is WAY more interesting to talk to someone about a really bad experience than a good or just satisfactory one.
That being said, I have had my new MBP for exactly one week and I must say it is a dream. COMPLETELY silent...no HD noise, no whine, only the sound of the optical drive on shut down/ sleep/ and wake. The heat is not bad...while I was installing boot camp and windoze xp, it got fairly warm, and that is it. Running Photoshop on a 250 MB file did not even make the fans kick in.. The lid is slightly raised on the left side when closed (maybe 2 mm), but you would have to be very observant to even notice. The keyboard is straight as an arrow and the screen is incredibly bright and colorful. What more can I ask for?!?!?!? MANY of my friends are owners of various iBooks and powerbooks, and the screens all look washed out compared to this beast. Battery life is about three hours (more than my LG cell phone {talk time} ha!). The trackpad is great too! The two finger scrolling feature is fantastic.
Complaints? Two....the screen had a tiny little scratch on unpacking that is invisible while lit, and the M key looks like a W upside down (the outside edges are slanted, not straight). All in all, I can live with it.
It would be nice to have some positive experiences of people's MBPs to balance the negative. I certainly do not wish to dismiss Apple's QC issues, I had a pop/click apple display at one time that I had to make a huge fuss about (but eventually they fixed it out of warranty for no charge). Ocassionally companies drop the ball, and if you spent 2K on a new machine, you should be spitting mad if it is not up to par, but I think there are some of us that are extremely happy with our machines, and I for one would like to let anyone considering buying one that it ain't all bad...I am very happy with mine and all my friends are green with envy...mwahahahahahaha!
-Ratspittle
PS. why dont they ever take any good pics of the backlit keyboard?! It is one of the best features of the pro machines..
( Last edited by Ratspittle; May 30, 2006 at 09:28 AM. )
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

Jason
May 30, 2006, 05:03 AM

Hey Raspittle, it's good to know someone here is enjoying their macbook pro! I myself often wondered why there was so much negative opinions about the macbook pros, and then, when I would go and look at the macbook pro picture page, i would funnily enough find under 10 people with the macbook pro, although there would be like 30 people with complaints about the macbook pro! that really made me think of whether or not they actually had a MBP or if they were just jumping on the band wagon. Anyway, glad to hear its all good. Take care of it!
"Amidst all the hype of modern design and computers, we have remained true by generating the majority of our designs by hand, viewing the computer as a tool and not letting it dictate our designs." - Ames Design.

delafoo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 30, 2006, 02:49 PM

I, too, am very happy with my new (refurbished) Macbook Pro. I got the 15" 2GHz machine and upgraded the RAM with another gig. I'm very much a customizer and had gone the distance with my XP box, making it look like OSX, but this is so much better.

My MBP came with 3 tilted keys: eject, tab and backslash. I can live with them, but I'll try to get them fixed at the Mac store when I have time just to have the clean lines. The metal around the edges (near the latch button) is a little warped and doesn't fit flush, but it's very hard to notice. When closed, the lid is straight as an arrow. Yes, it does get hot even under normal use, but I bought a nice Macally memory foam case which helps when sitting on my lap for periods of time, plus it allows me to use the book without taking it out of the case if I want. Also, people need to understand the form of this thing along with the power of the processor is not easy to balance. There are going to be trade-offs, especially when comparing them to older, much slower Powerbooks.

This is my first ever Mac and I love it. It just works. I had always built my own PCs and did Photoshop on them, but I need my own dedicated machine with portability so I can co-operate with others on projects. I didn't even consider other laptops (such as Dell or even the regular Macbook). I had tried them in-store whenever I would get a chance (or the girlfriend let me). They just felt bulky and I hate XP so much. This has the matte screen with great color when properly calibrated, a good size and weight, very low noise, and it just works with everything I've thrown at it. Plus, getting it refurbished cut 500.00 off the cost (the Macbooks came out right after I placed the order - so another 200 was knocked off after a quick phone call).

I am most pleased. Anything can be nit-picked and everything technology related has something wrong with it. I'm sure the next gen will be even better. I'm an Apple fan for life now.

Recommendations:

- The Macally case I mentioned above
- Keep it plugged in whenever possible (it cuts down on the heat)
- Up the RAM for Photoshop under Rosetta (lots of memory use there)
- Use UNO to unify the windows and applications. It's a great little mod.
- Quicksilver is one the the greatest apps EVER. You won't be able to live without it.
- Firefox is not as bad as people say if you take the time (or learn more) to set it up properly.
Safari has frustrated me more than once, especially for free hotel wireless.

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
May 30, 2006, 02:50 PM

I just helped my father in law set up his MBP17. It's a terrific machine - no whine, screen is bright, etc. 100% satisfaction, here, too.

b1NARY73
Mac Enthusiast
May 30, 2006, 05:34 PM

Here, here, Happy and running puuurrrfffeecct for 3 weeks now. Very Happy. Upgraded from a 17" PB and a 12" PB... and not missing a beat.
 Macbook Pro 17" / 2.5GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo / 4GB Ram / 350GB
 Macbook Pro 17" / 2.16GHZ Intel Core Duo / 2GB Ram / 120GB
 Macbook Black / 2.4GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo / 4GB Ram / 350GB

ak1nza
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 30, 2006, 06:00 PM

I know on my iBook I hate carrying it around because it feels like the screen presses up against the keyboard and can be mushed back and forth while carrying it. Does the MBP or MB have this problem? I want a solid machine.

quarter_pounder
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 30, 2006, 07:13 PM

I personally love my Macbook Pro. My wife is even jealous of the amount of attention i give to my new laptop. (I love the wife more i swear).
I have no problems whatsoever. Screen is perfect, no whine, no moo, no whirring. Today the fans turned on for the first time as i was doing video encoding. Temps never get above 72C even under 100% processor usage. Fans turn on around 70C apparently.
There are no flaws in the machine, keyboard is perfectly straight, i guess the fact that the screen is not 100% even when closed (sits a little higher on the left) could be consider a flaw, but come on people, it's aluminium!
It feels a bit uncomfortable sometimes when i sit with it directly on my lap, but that's because i'm in Arizona and any extra heat is unwelcome.
I got the laptop because i am heading off on a deployment in Iraq and the built in isight is a really nifty feature in the macbook pro. This is my first time using a mac so i am really enjoying it alot. I installed windows xp in case i needed a crutch, but i haven't found that i need to log into windows at all.
Overall A++

Ratspittle  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 30, 2006, 07:42 PM

I forgot to mention....the magsafe connector is GREAT!!! What a strong magnet! Love this machine (and my GF is probably getting a litle jelouse too, even though I love her more) Wireless reception is fine too, no dropped connections, good range.
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

hoo311
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 30, 2006, 08:05 PM

I too am pleased. I have some tilted keys (eject and the arrow keys), and the the left corner of the display is raised by 1/4". I plan to have these serviced under warranty or service plan. My only fear is not having the MBP for a period of time.

I do have the 1.8Ghz 15" MBP with the 80MB and 1GB RAM. I would like to upgrade to the 100GB hard drive, but could not justify the extra dollars for the 2.0Ghz 15" model.

After reading though sites like this I was a bit worrier with the nay sayers' that I may have made a mistake. This is my first personal notebook, and my first Mac ever. Although I have used Dell's notebooks for the late 90's, ThinkPad for 3 years, and a Compac for one yea, but was wondering if purchasing the Mac was niaive

I have no regrets!! The MBP beat them all hands down.

dmcnickle
Senior User
May 30, 2006, 10:07 PM

I have had my MacBook Pro 2.0 for 4 weeks now and have not had a single problem with it.
There is no whine, no screen problems, no keyboard problems. It had not gotten unusually hot either.
I have used it when my home is perfectly quiet and have not even heard the fan kick in.
I did a build to order to get a 120gb hard drive but other than that it is the stock model.

I have not even had to add any more ram but I plan to very soon.

I was worried about getting the MacBook Pro because of all the posts about the whine but am very glad that I did.

What a wonder laptop.

b1NARY73
Mac Enthusiast
May 31, 2006, 01:14 AM

I just plopped in a 1 gb stick of Patriot RAM from Newegg for 87.00, and now I am cruizin with 2GB RAM, and loving it.... I only wish I has a 7200 RPM Drive..... but I am not ready to crack this beast open quite yet..... I have plenty of room right now... =)
 Macbook Pro 17" / 2.5GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo / 4GB Ram / 350GB
 Macbook Pro 17" / 2.16GHZ Intel Core Duo / 2GB Ram / 120GB
 Macbook Black / 2.4GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo / 4GB Ram / 350GB

Equals
May 31, 2006, 12:07 PM

I have a 17MBP with the glossy screen, 7200 drive, adding the other gig soon (any recommendations?).

Everything seems perfect - nice even bright lit screen, no whacked keys, lid is straight and lays flat - it gets a little hot while charging but once it's 100% it cools down quite a bit. All in all I LOVE IT!

I've had Macs since 92 (Mac Classic) and this is the best one to date!

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
May 31, 2006, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by btollenaar
I have a 17MBP with the glossy screen, 7200 drive, adding the other gig soon (any recommendations?).

Everything seems perfect - nice even bright lit screen, no whacked keys, lid is straight and lays flat - it gets a little hot while charging but once it's 100% it cools down quite a bit. All in all I LOVE IT!

I've had Macs since 92 (Mac Classic) and this is the best one to date!
Not trying to hijack this thread, but how do you like the new screen? I added one of those glossy screen protectors to my ol' PB17, generating better to read text -- but massive glare that was so bad I tossed the protector in an airport when I was showing something to a friend on my PB. The anti-glare coating on MBPs really DOES work.

Equals
May 31, 2006, 02:52 PM

Love the screen. I work in a fairly controlled environment and it rocks - clear with great contrast, like a nice flat highend CRT.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 1, 2006, 12:31 AM

My MBP = portable 2.5GHz dual processor PowerMac G5. That is to say, I've managed to replace my desktop and 12" PBG4 with a single machine.

My one and only complaint is heat-related video noise on black portions of the screen image when connected to my 30" cinema display. Occurs only when the MBP gets very hot (like when charging the battery, heavily using the machine and connected to the 30" all at same time), or when using Windows XP via BootCamp. Doesn't occur when connected to a non-dual-link external display or when the computer is kept cooler (like on a laptop stand with fans). This seems to be a wide-spread issue, and the fact that it happens always when running Windows makes me think there may be a possible software fix/workaround.

Other than the dodgy dual-link circuitry, its all good.

fowler
Forum Regular
Jun 1, 2006, 05:35 PM

I love mine. I guess I'm able to live with the little issues such as the heat and whine.. never really seemed like a big deal to me.

The screen is great, it's fast.. I love it.
[font=verdana]2.16 macbook pro | 2gb | 7200 rpm | 2405FPW[/font]

cool1
Baninated
Jun 1, 2006, 05:58 PM

The only complaint I have is that three weeks after receiving my MBP the 2.0 model was reduced to the price I paid for my 1.83.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 1, 2006, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by sayitfast
The only complaint I have is that three weeks after receiving my MBP the 2.0 model was reduced to the price I paid for my 1.83.

Same thing happened to me three days after I bought mine. Apple refunded me the difference.

ak1nza
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 2, 2006, 12:04 AM

Will someone answer my question, is the macbook pro good for portability? Does the screen feel like it squeezes down against the keyboard when carrying it?? please!?

sammyb1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 2, 2006, 12:57 AM

This is my first laptop. i love the screen, the colors jump at you.
no complaints.

GoCats
Jun 2, 2006, 04:04 AM

I just got my MBP 2.16 today. I don't have the whine, thank god. The screen is perfect. Performance is good, not overwelmed yet... though, my main machine is a dual 2.7 G5, so this doesn't really compare.

The magsafe power connector is really nice, though I do hate how large the power brick is. Keys are all straight, so overall I'm pretty happy with it.

My only MAJOR complaint is how HOT this thing gets when charging! Holy crap! I did notice, however, that when you're running off of just the battery it's pretty much fine... still hotter than my Powerbook G4 1.67 was, but not bad.

Finally, Parallels is very nice. I got it up and running with Windows 2000 very quickly. I can't say that the performance blew me away, but it is definitely WAY better than VPC. I tried to play a 720p HD video in Quicktime to see how it would do. Well, not great. Performance was all over the place, from 9fps to 24fps. Mostly around 10-15fps. I know Parallels isn't finished yet, so I'm not complaining, I just thought I'd pass along my experience. In any case, while I'm not blown away with the performance, I can certainly say that I'm pretty happy with it.

So back to the point of the thread... you can count me in as a happy MBP owner.

herald
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 2, 2006, 03:30 PM

Hi
I have to also say, that I am very pleased with my MBP. But it took awhile, let me explain. I purchased my first MBP from a dealer here in Montana. It had the whining noise. They agreed to exchange it. I got my second book, and the lid was about 1/4" raised on both sides. Now I know that some of you would propably think that I am being unreasonable. But I bought the 2GHz model and when it was all said and done, with apple care, I paid a lot of money and felt that the machine should be near perfect condition for the price. I went back to the store and they only had one more left and they did not want to open it, so they volunteered to call Apple. We managed to get to customer relations who was very apologitic about the whole situation and offered to send me a new machine directly from Apple. At that time, Apple had just announced the Macbook and they bumped the processor in the MBP. What I got back, instead of the 2.0, I got the 2.16. The lid is not perfect but closes a lot better then the previous ones I had, there is no whining, the right arrow key is slightly slanted, no big deal.

I am very happy. I got Windoze XP running with bootcamp, and everyone is envious that I have this machine. I love this puppy, and Apple did right by me.

herald
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 2, 2006, 05:07 PM

Hi have to also say, that I am very pleased with my MBP. But it took awhile, let me explain. I purchased my first MBP from a dealer here in Montana. It had the whining noise. They agreed to exchange it. I got my second book, and the lid was about 1/4" raised on both sides. Now I know that some of you would propably think that I am being unreasonable. But I bought the 2GHz model and when it was all said and done, with apple care, I paid a lot of money and felt tha the machine should be near perfect condition for the price. I went back to the store and they only had one more left and they did not want to open it, so they volunteered to call Apple. We managed to get to customer relations who was very apologitic about the whole situation and offered to send me a new machine directly from Apple. At that time, Apple had just announced the Macbook and they bumped the processor in the MBP. What I got back, instead of the 2.0, I got the 2.16. The lid is not perfect, there is no whining, the right arrow key is slightly slanted, no big deal.

I am very happy. I got Windoze XP running with bootcamp, and everyone is envious that I have this machine. I love this puppy, and Apple did right by me.

GoCats
Jun 3, 2006, 12:30 PM

Okay, I have to amend my post. Now that I've had the Macbook 3 days, I can definitely hear the whine. It's not bothering me TOO much, but I can definitely hear it. I'm also curious why my fans aren't coming on... this thing gets DAMN hot and I never hear any fans!! Anyway, the whine is actually about the same as from my G5, but since I don't work as closely to my G5 as I do my MBP, I don't notice it

Charles Bouldin
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 3, 2006, 11:30 PM

I've now had a stock configuration 2.16 ghz 15" for about 3 hours. It seems....perfect. No dead pixels, and -fast-....I'm coming to this from a 1 ghz Tibook, and I'd say that even the Rosetta PPC apps are noticeably faster than the old Tibook. CPU temp seems to be a steady 63 C and the case is warm, but nothing unreasonable. It does make a little noise, but it is much, much quieter than the Tibook was. The screen is awesomely, painfully bright. I have it set 3 clicks from the lowest brightness setting....I usually ran the Tibook at full brightness, or nearly so.

It took over an hour for Migration Assistant to move all my stuff, and it didn't move the Developer directory, so I'll do that by hand.

So far, this is an amazing laptop and an incredibly smooth transition between machines.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 3, 2006, 11:59 PM

Just installed Parallels RC2 and set up a Windows XP virtual machine. Impresses people at work, for sure. The cube-effect when switching in & out of Windows fullscreen mode. Very cool.

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 4, 2006, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Cadaver
Just installed Parallels RC2 and set up a Windows XP virtual machine. Impresses people at work, for sure. The cube-effect when switching in & out of Windows fullscreen mode. Very cool.
Do the ports all work under RC2? I have waited to install until I can be sure to be able to at least use an external USB mouse.

Convert
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 6, 2006, 02:39 AM

Today was the acid test. I bought this to replace both a 15" PB 1.67ghz and a dual 1ghz PowerMac. Today I did my first video project, including editing DV project in FCP (with media on a firewire 400 drive), doing titles in LiveType, some Photoshop CS2 work, and finalizing the project in DVDSP. It all worked very well, even the Photoshop stuff running in Rosetta. It is faster than my dual G4 at everything, and now I can have all my work in one place. I am driving a Dell 24" ultrawide display and the MBP handles the display perfectly, either with the lid closed or open as a desktop extension. It mostly ran just warm, but got hot during video rendering and compression, and while I was installing windows on Parallels.
...---...---...---...---...---...---...
The early bird may get the worm, but the early worm gets eaten!

Tenacious Dyl
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 6, 2006, 12:34 PM

Well, I just got my 17" MacBook Pro last night. Spent all night playing with it, installing things, etc. And I have to say: NO COMPLAINTS

I got the "glossy" screen, and I love it. The "studio" room I keep it in, for the most part, seems to be ideal, but even when I turned on extra lights, I didn't have a problem. The "glossy" screen compared to the normal screen on my 12" alubook is incredible. Way brighter, much better color depth, and much much more real black / darks. Oh yeah, not one dead or stuck pixel.

It did, on 2 occasions, get very warm, but never the "burning" temps that people keep having issues with.

I have it connected to a 20" Al Display, with no issues, not much heat, and NO WHINE.

I got the 120 GB 5,400 drive instead of 100 GB 7,200, and I am happy with that. I know it is a little slower, but it still does hold more, and I work with very big files.

The new trackpad features work very well, and the built in iSight is pretty cool, as is the remote.

I give this product two huge thumbs up
yep.

Charles Bouldin
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 7, 2006, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Charles Bouldin
I've now had a stock configuration 2.16 ghz 15" for about 3 hours. It seems....perfect. No dead pixels, and -fast-....I'm coming to this from a 1 ghz Tibook, and I'd say that even the Rosetta PPC apps are noticeably faster than the old Tibook. CPU temp seems to be a steady 63 C and the case is warm, but nothing unreasonable. It does make a little noise, but it is much, much quieter than the Tibook was. The screen is awesomely, painfully bright. I have it set 3 clicks from the lowest brightness setting....I usually ran the Tibook at full brightness, or nearly so.

It took over an hour for Migration Assistant to move all my stuff, and it didn't move the Developer directory, so I'll do that by hand.

So far, this is an amazing laptop and an incredibly smooth transition between machines.

To follow up after a couple of days....I just installed the 2nd gig of RAM, and a fast machine is now even faster. If you are condemned to use MS Office or other big Rosetta-apps, I think the 2nd gig of RAM is almost essential.

Also, this is the quietest computer I have ever used. The fan noise that was the bane of my existence with the Tibook is utterly inaudible. I am not even sure if/when the fans have ever come on, for they are no longer than the very faint sounds made by the hard drive. This might be the best Mac I've ever owned (and my first machine was a 128K original...)

janeiro
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 9, 2006, 09:12 PM

Hi,

I got my 17 MBP 2 days ago. And I don't have much thing to say that I'm very happy with it. Until now no Whine/screen/hot issues. I just love it. When reading forums about MBP issues I was worried, because I live in french guiana where there is no Apple store to return the product. Finaly it seems I'm lucky.

For information my MBP is week 18.

Janeiro
( Last edited by janeiro; Jun 9, 2006 at 11:02 PM. )

bwatson009
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 12, 2006, 07:41 PM

I've been holding off for a while on this reply, mainly to really get some mileage out of this thing before i made a judgement call. Immediate impressions were great, with minor suckiness as it pertains to battery life. Heat is a bit more noticable during regular use, particularly when plugged in, but is not unbearable. (lap usage while plugged in is a no-go) All in all, i've very pleased. It's faster and more powerful, so naturally less battery and more heat with current technology. The performance is really a huge jump over my last-gen (1.67 HighRes) Powerbook, and the introduction of real virtualization options is very useful. I had a very slight whine, but the firmware upgrade essentially eliminated it. Still anxiously awaiting an EVDO option, but for now using my phone via bluetooth. That's about it, great machine so far for me...

B
15" Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

olegww
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 13, 2006, 11:28 AM

I received my 17" MBP last night after several weeks of anxious anticipation. I've read a million horror stories on this site, and my mom's 15" MBP has the whine issue, so I was nervous opening the box. I'm happy to say there are absolutely no cosmetic issues, whatsoever. The lid has no odd gaps, the keys are all lined up, there are no scratches or dents...it's perfect.

Of course, I was petrified to start the thing and hear the annoying whine. Several minutes into the startup process, I felt relief as there is no whine issue. Otherwise, the computer rocks. I was also apprehensive about my screen type choice, as I chose the matte screen and I know how great the glossy screen can look. While I don't have both screens in front of me to compare and contrast, I can honestly say that I have no buyer's remorse in this area. The screen is big, bright, even, and clear.

As far as heat goes, when I copied the 20gigs of music from my ipod to the MBP, it did get warm, but not ridiculously so. I used the computer for several hours on my lap, on battery power, and heat was a non-issue. I did not use it on my lap and plugged into a power source, so perhaps this moves the heat level to an unacceptable level. Honestly, I think people are exaggerating the heat issue. They often get warm, and sometimes "hot", but these things are only 1" thick! If it were another 1/2" thick, the heat would probably be less of an issue, but who knows.

The bottom line is I'm ecstatic with the computer. I'm a switcher and it's my first Mac, and thus far the experience has been pleasant. The illuminated keyboard is a joy for finding seldomly used keys in the dark (some F keys, etc), and the speakers are suprisingly impressive. I've never heard a laptop with sound this good...I'm usually happy just to get some semblance of noise out of the thing at all. Am I lucky to have avoided a lemon, or are the problems exaggerated? I don't know...but I'm happy.
( Last edited by Muffinman; Jun 13, 2006 at 11:43 AM. )

mydog8mymac
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 14, 2006, 08:57 PM

Four days with my new MBP 17" and I love it. There is a small heat issue when it's recharging, and it seems to be the hottest on the case bar above the function keys (a place where one never touches anyway). I can't believe how quiet it is! I went from a 1GHz Powerbook which I thought was pretty quiet until I got this thing.

The most amazing thing was the "Migration Manager" during set up. It asked if I wanted to transfer any data, files, applications etc. from my old computer. I said yes, and it led me through the process which was so easy, and in one hour everything was transfered over! All my network settings, email, everything was just like it had been on my old PowerBook. I didn't have to install anything! I was astonished!

drewcifer
Forum Regular
Jun 14, 2006, 10:09 PM

i have odd gaps in the lid when closed
a couple slanted keys
some whine, not too bad though
a lot of heat

I'm still happy with it though. Its quick, and all around awesome, and I really don't notice the problems too much.
Macbook Pro 15" (fully spec'd out)

...waiting for 6g ipods.

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 15, 2006, 11:10 PM

I just "downgraded" from a 1.67GHz 17" PowerBook to the modest 2GHz MacBook. I consider the 17" PB the best Mac I've ever owned. This MacBook is TIGHT. The display is stunning, the keyboard is perfect, and the fit and finish is German auto like. Did I mention it's fast?

I don't doubt some folks are having issues, but I'm really glad I didn't settle for a MacBook because of the complaints in this forum.
MacBook and iMac Core 2 Duo 24"

seadaymon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 16, 2006, 02:21 PM

Long time lurker, extremely rare poster.

I have spent the last 7 years working for a company that has supplied me with three different Mac laptops (Pismo, and two white iBooks). However, I am changing jobs to become a faculty member at a small university that insists that I use the Gateway tablet PC that is utilized by the faculty and staff of the department I am joining.

My wife (who I converted to the glory of all that is Apple Macintosh) insisted that we make a trip to the Apple Store at Easton (Columbus, OH) so that I could get a machine that I would enjoy using while finishing my Ph.D.

I picked up a stock 2.0 Ghz Macbook Pro and I absolutely love it!

Granted, it does get warm (but I am not planning on having more children anyway), however, the fan has only come on during the Firmware update. Also, my eject key is a bit askew, giving it character! I realize that this machine is far from perfect, yet I am completely satisfied.

ccsccs7
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 17, 2006, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Ratspittle
…the M key looks like a W upside down (the outside edges are slanted, not straight).…
Oh yeah. My 12" PowerBook looks that way too. Never paid it much mind.
12" Powerbook 1.5GHz/SuperDrive, 1.25GB Ram, 80GB HD, Airport Extreme, Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger
iBook (Late 2001)600MHz/Combo, 640MB RAM, 20GB HD, Airport, Mac OS X 10.3.9 Panther — web server

Burn
Forum Regular
Jun 18, 2006, 12:56 AM

I ordered my 17" MBP (glossy screen, 7200rpm hd, 1GB ram) on Monday the 5th, it was built on Tuesday the 6th, shipped from Shanghai on Wednesday the 7th, arrived to me here in Winnipeg on Tuesday..

LOVE IT. This machine is blowing me away.. it's the first time I have ever purchased the higher end unit in the Apple lineup (owned Apple machines since the 1984 IIC) I can't say enough good about it. Seriously, it is incredible.. defect free. I agree with chrisutley - it is the best Apple I have ever owned.. very toight, fit and finish is stellar. The screen is amazing, bright and incredibly crisp. This book just MIGHT move me away from CRT once and for all. I have worked in graphic design for many years and I can't believe how impressed I am by this display. I RARELY have it on the brightest setting.

Bill.

matteo_man
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 19, 2006, 08:17 AM

Got my Macbook Pro 2.16ghz 15.4in glossy today and it is amazing. Not hotter than expected and quieter than i thought it would be. Haven't heard any noises that i shouldnt hear so fingers crossed it's ok. Keyboard is perfect and it all closes together fine. Am really happy with the glossy screen - it looks vibrant (I know it's all down to personal preference on that one.)

Good stuff Apple....

Thraxes
Jun 29, 2006, 02:30 PM

Chalk up another satisfied owner... a verrrry quiet whine - inaudible in anything but perfect silence (I live under the climb-out of Frankfurt airport so any minute noises succumb to the might of Pratt&Whittney / RollsRoyce / GeneralElectric), excellent build quality and heat is well what I was expecting for such a high performance compact computer.

When i have it on my lap it's always running on battery anyway where the whole system throttles down.

My first pro mac and I doubt I will ever go back
15" MBP - 2.16 - 2GB - 120GB + 500GB External
Backup: Athlon XP2200+ - 1GB - 600GB
MythTV DVR: Intel PIII-500 MHz - 384MB - 60GB

Jason
Jul 2, 2006, 11:02 AM

Well guys, I have to say, I purchased my MBP 4 days ago and I love it! Everything is awesome on this machine. No whine (touch wood) all the keys are nice, no marks on the casing, no dead pixels, the screen fits flush with the bottom of the machine, so everything is good!.

All in all, if I had to say something that I dislike, it would be that there is a tiny little mark on the shift key (left side) and I think the eject key might be a tiny bit further up than it should be (probably less than a millimeter) These things are only noticable if you put your nose to the keyboard and look from letf to right! (As i was doing to make sure there was no whine, but ive noticed from youtube videos, the 'whine' is quite loud, all i can hear if the fan, and thats when i put my ear to the keyboard!)

I wasn't going to post in here, but I thought I should do it just incase there is anyone who is a little on the fence about purchasing a MBP. I was on the fence for a few months, but I caved in! and I must say, it was a good choice.
"Amidst all the hype of modern design and computers, we have remained true by generating the majority of our designs by hand, viewing the computer as a tool and not letting it dictate our designs." - Ames Design.

wintersway
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 2, 2006, 04:15 PM

I purchased a 17" MBP on Friday and It is perfect. No whine, no messed up backlighting and I can use it on my lap for hours with no discomfort.

I was really nervous about dropping 3k on a machine that seemed to have nothing but problems. Well lets say that I learned a lesson about what an echo chamber the internet can be!

I will say that after I calibrated my battery as per the users manual my idle (no heavy apps going just Camino) temps dropped from 54c to 47 c. which totally surprised me.

I am completly satisfied with my MBP in fact I am developing a strong emotional bond to it and lol thats kinda disturbing!

Forum Links
Forum Rules