Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Anyone else notice this in the MBPs ? (Startup Sound)

Anyone else notice this in the MBPs ? (Startup Sound)
cold aspiration
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 13, 2006, 03:52 PM

In my old ibook g4, I could have my audio cable to my creature II speakers plugged in and when I startup the computer, the booming startup sound would come through the external speakers, not the ibook speakers.

Now though, with the MBP, even if the audio cable is plugged in, the startup sound always comes out the MBP speakers and nothing comes through the external speakers until os x has started up. Does this mean the sound board doesnt fully turn on until os x? Does that make sense?

I'm kind of worried because lets say I have my volume on pretty loud and then I shut down. The next time i have to use the mbp is in the library. I open it up, boot it and plug in my headphones because I don't want to disturb others and then BOOOOOOOOOOM. Great. and mbp speakers can get pretty damn loud.

On a side note, i noticed a curious red light eminating from the headphone port while running boot camp. Is that normal? Anyone else see this? Do you think because I installed boot camp it might have an effect on the symptoms I mentioned above?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2006, 04:02 PM

This is the same with my MacBook, and my Intel iMac - hence it must be an Intel thing (as my old iBook did what your old iBook did). Its probably becuase the sound card is part of the main motherboard - whereas I am guessing the old PPC stuff had a 'real' sound card.

About the problem with the library senario: Don't shut down your laptop - sleep it like a normal person!

And yes, the red light is normal - its because the port is an optical audio port, and the drivers for the sound in boot camp for some reason keeps the light on. IIRC, this is detailed in the boot camp documentation
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

cold aspiration  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 13, 2006, 10:27 PM

Don't worry, I sleep my laptop usually anyway. Let me ask you though, do you have boot camp running on your intel macs?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 14, 2006, 02:54 AM

It's not an Intel thing. Apple changed this behavior before the release of the first MacIntels. My PPC mini for example does the same.

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2006, 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by Simon
It's not an Intel thing. Apple changed this behavior before the release of the first MacIntels. My PPC mini for example does the same.
Strange, because my iMac G5 (isight) and iBook G4 both routed the sound through the speakers
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2006, 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by cold aspiration
Don't worry, I sleep my laptop usually anyway. Let me ask you though, do you have boot camp running on your intel macs?
Yep I have BC running on my iMac, and did have it on my MacBook until I realised I didn't need it on both. Both of them had the red lights on from the optical audio ports when running boot camp

cold aspiration  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 14, 2006, 03:16 AM

Since there is a discrepancy between whether the new behavior is due to macs having intel processors ... maybe it could be a boot camp thing? harrisjameih, does your macbook still route the sound only through the internal speakers after boot camp was taken off of it?

JasonPro
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 14, 2006, 06:46 PM

Procedure to turn on your macbook (pro) that potentially could have the volume turned up in a library without getting nasty looks:
1. Press the power button
2. Immediately hold down the mute button until OSX starts to boot
Not a problem

cold aspiration  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 14, 2006, 09:53 PM

wow! I didn't think of that one. I'm going to try it as soon as I get to my macbook pro =). Oh and I uninstalled my windows by using boot camp assistant to partition by drive into one mac os x again. But before I reinstalled windows, I tested the startup sound and it was the same so having windows on the computer isn't it. =p

drewcifer
Forum Regular
Jul 15, 2006, 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by cold aspiration
wow! I didn't think of that one. I'm going to try it as soon as I get to my macbook pro =). Oh and I uninstalled my windows by using boot camp assistant to partition by drive into one mac os x again. But before I reinstalled windows, I tested the startup sound and it was the same so having windows on the computer isn't it. =p
i couldve told you that. why would installing windows on an etirely seperate partition effect the booting of OS X?
Macbook Pro 15" (fully spec'd out)

...waiting for 6g ipods.

cold aspiration  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 15, 2006, 05:59 AM

Well I know that the usb drivers had to be cleared for windows to recognize ... same with sound i believe. But guess not

Forum Links
Forum Rules