Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Am I crazy for this?

Am I crazy for this?
sdilley14
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2006, 04:12 AM

Ok, so I have a 12" PB, 1.5, 768, 80, SD, BT, AE. I'm wanting to upgrade for more screen space, a tad more speed, and a brighter screen with a higher resolution. I'm thinking of getting a 15.4" PB, 1.67, 2gig, 80-100, SD, BT, AE. Or maybe even getting a 17" if I can get one with the recent revisions and at the right price. Now, I know I can get a BlackBook for $1299 refurbed, but is the viewable space that much more noticeable over the 12"? And I could MAYBE get a MBP, but the price is a little too much to swallow, especially with all the known defects and the primary programs I use aren't universal yet.

So am I crazy sticking with a PowerBook? I use PhotoShop, DreamWeaver, iTunes (extensively for songs and videos), Safari, MSN, and LimeWire, and am doing some rather light web design. The 12" PB, 1.5GHz w/768MB RAM actually handles all of my extensive multitasking and web design needs perfectly. Never any lag, slow down, crashes, nothing. So I don't actually NEED a boost in performance...but why not? I'm thinking a 1.67GHz PB w/2gigs RAM should be a nice, noticeable difference and still handle all of my needs more than satisfactory.

Also, I plan on adding an external monitor eventually, so in the mean time (could be months), screen space and running PS and DreamWeaver are my primary needs.

So is this a bad idea, or should I go for the MacBook? Screen space, resolution, and brightness are my most important needs. No gaming, no video editing, no hardcore image editing, nothing too extensive.

Jason
Jul 18, 2006, 04:32 AM

Well i wouldn't say you're crazy for wanting either the PB or the MB, they will both be nice upgrades. Personally since you like the idea of the screen real estate, i would say go the PB, also you're getting that with 2GB of ram compared to the 1GB in the MB. And since the CS3 suite won't be out until Q2 2007 at the earliest, i would say go the PB over the MB.

However since you said you don't do any 'hardcore image editing' i'm thinking that the PB would be faster and whatnot, although the MB would definitely be more than adequate for any 'non-excessive' editing in the non-universal applications.

Mind you, the MB will be faster than the PB in anything that is universal! So i have decided to change my vote

I say Macbook! (yes i said powerbook earlier, i'm allowed to change!)
"Amidst all the hype of modern design and computers, we have remained true by generating the majority of our designs by hand, viewing the computer as a tool and not letting it dictate our designs." - Ames Design.

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2006, 08:06 AM

I would definately say some type of intel mac whether it be a Macbook, MBP or whaterver. Even the latest revisions of PPC machines are already outdated IMO. Intel only versions of many programs are looming and even some current new universal apps will only run on the higher end PPC computers.

drewcifer
Forum Regular
Jul 18, 2006, 03:24 PM

just stick it out and stay with what you have till everything goes universal. save money and by the time 2007 rolls around you can buy an MBP 15.4". its stupid to upgrade to another PPC machine, itll be obsolete so quickly.

plus the bugs in the MBP will probably be ironed out by then. even more reason to wait.

my 2 cents
Macbook Pro 15" (fully spec'd out)

...waiting for 6g ipods.

buddy1065
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 18, 2006, 03:44 PM

I agree; hang on to what you have until at least the next revision Macbook. There are probably many others who have their finger on the trigger but are waiting to see the next revisions, including myself. I could go with the argument "you will always be waiting for the next best thing then" but not until reports confirm better quality control will I change. Sure, many have no problems and only those with problems are liable to report here, but I still think it's just not quite the right time. Also the shared GPU should have been better than 64 MB, almost certainly an improvement due next revision.

Time for Apple to stop pretending it's still an iBook; it's a 13 inch notebook and Sony already has an nVidia 128 MB GPU in theirs, Dell has a 256 MB GPU in their 12" laptop, and from what I hear some of that memory, at least 64 MB is dedicated, and I haven't read many reports of those laptops being hot potatoes, even though they also have dual cores. So yes even though the Sony is a little thicker I think with better ventilation design Apple can pull off a real screamer with the Macbook, not sayin' they will though. Personally I wouldn't mind a little heat along with some killer specs. Indeed; waiting, researching and the anticipation is all part of the fun for me.

So if what you have ain't broke my friend, why be in such a hurry to fix it? Just my 2 cents.
( Last edited by buddy1065; Jul 18, 2006 at 04:01 PM. )

sdilley14  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2006, 03:29 AM

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm just gonna throw some RAM in this 12", get an external monitor, and wait it out for the next revision of the MB/MBP, and prolly pick up a MBP in 2007 when the bugs are worked out and I got some more cash money stocked up. If I get a killer deal in the mean time, I may pull the trigger, but we'll see. My gf wants to buy my 12" PB for $800, and I can get a final rev. 1.67 PB w/2gigs for like $1100, so I may do that. Guess I'll just have to wait and see.

Forum Links
Forum Rules