Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Installing a SuperDrive Pioneer A03 on a Quicksilver

Installing a SuperDrive Pioneer A03 on a Quicksilver
electroJerm
Forum Regular
Mar 2, 2002, 02:29 AM

Does anyone have any information on how to install a SuperDrive (Pioneer DVR-A03) on a Quicksilver? Instructions for this installation process exist for G3 and Pre-Quicksilver G4 models (over at xlr8yourmac.com), but with Quicksilver models, the internal configuration changed a bit, and the design of the front bezel as well. I was curious if anyone has tried this or knows of any documentation / walkthroughs. Also, anyone been shopping out there for one of these? Any sites with the best prices?
My name is Jeremy Cogan, and my thoughts are here: JeremyCogan.com

DaedalusDX
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 2, 2002, 02:51 AM

Originally posted by electroJerm:
<STRONG>Does anyone have any information on how to install a SuperDrive (Pioneer DVR-A03) on a Quicksilver? Instructions for this installation process exist for G3 and Pre-Quicksilver G4 models (over at xlr8yourmac.com), but with Quicksilver models, the internal configuration changed a bit, and the design of the front bezel as well. I was curious if anyone has tried this or knows of any documentation / walkthroughs. Also, anyone been shopping out there for one of these? Any sites with the best prices?</STRONG>
I'd like to know myself. i have a similar config of Quicksilver 733 and i was always iDVD envious.

Also, I'd like to find out where I can get compatible DVR-A03s for cheap.

Blake Bowden
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 2, 2002, 11:26 AM

I recently bought a 733 and looked to install an aftermarket SuperDrive. After reading several posts on the subject I ordered one. I got my from www.newegg.com for about $400 bucks. You can find it cheaper but I've had great service in the past from Newegg. Anyway, one of the things that I've noticed about the "factory" superdrives that apple has is that the trim on the door opening is taken off. I assume this allows the drive bay doors to pop down easier. Once I got the drive I popped off the cd/dvd tray trim, installed it, and walla...works great! I've burned about 4 DVD's so for with absolutely no problems. I'am not too happy with the CDROM and CDR speed, but I wanted to use this computer for the DV stuff anyway. To sum it up, yes it does work...pretty effortlessly. GOod luck!

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
Mar 2, 2002, 08:47 PM

Take a look at this page. Apple provides instructions and movies.

I put the DVR-AO3 in my DP450 and it works great (tho slow at burning CDs). Installation was easy and the machine recognized the drive right away. The drive tray also seems much "smoother" than the clattery tray on the factory DVD drive.

I believe the only difference between my machine and the Quicksilvers is that you pull the drive out the side rather than sliding it out the front. That's probably even simpler since you don't have to take off the bezel and it's easier to access the cables.
"I'm an award-winning creative, the rules of society no longer apply to me."

L-47
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 3, 2002, 08:25 PM

You just might be better off getting a firewire one (like LaCie or APC). I wish I had done that instead of getting it built into my 933 (I have a TiBook and an iBook so I would like to have my SuperDrive be portable)

It would also allow you to not void the warranty on your G4.

[ 03-03-2002: Message edited by: L-47 ]

electroJerm  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 3, 2002, 08:30 PM

But if I go with firewire, how can I be sure it will work with iDVD, DVD Player, DVD studio pro, iTunes, Disc Burner, etc etc.... Apple has a history of screwing people who don't use their hardware... and the number one reason for getting the drive would be to take advantage of all the great software Apple makes (or will make).
My name is Jeremy Cogan, and my thoughts are here: JeremyCogan.com

The Stumper
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 3, 2002, 11:02 PM

Yes, and you'd get screwed here too.

The firewire burners will NOT work with iDVD. For now, you are stuck with an OEM drive if you want to use iDVD.

If you got a FW drive, you could conceivably use Toast to burn your DVD's, but without much flair. Or you could spend $1000 and use Apple's DV D Studio Pro. DVD SP is a great app, and afford quite a few useful professional feature not present in iDVD. But... its $1000, and its not nearly as easy to use as iDVD.

Someday, perhaps Apple will offer iDVD support for non-OEM burners, but I'm not holding my breath.

Later,

Stumper.

Dan Szwarc
Senior User
Mar 4, 2002, 08:08 AM

If you want superdrive and FAST CD burning, always go with an internal superdrive and an external (FW) burner. iDVD doesn't support external DVD burners (as was said), but most FW CD burning configs are supported right out of the box even without Toast.

iDVD is so super-easy to use. I just wish it had more features (like transition movies in the menus, longer than 30 seconds of audio and video during menus [they squeezed the entire Apollo 13 soundtrack into the menu on the DVD!] and a way of doing chapters for a movie!). Overall, it is great and can only get better. $999 for DVD Studio pro is $999 more than iDVD. Maybe if they can close that gap (and not by bringing the bottom up!).

I don't think there is any way to have iDVD render the DVD image to the drive before burning. Or is there?
Dan
"I guarantee that I am correct."
(not a guarantee)

Forum Links
Forum Rules