Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Best online backup solution?

Best online backup solution?
m i k e
Dec 19, 2007, 04:53 PM

What I want is a free place to store all of my documents online that preferably would automatically sync back up to the web server once I edited the file(s). I know theres FolderShare that Microsoft acquired that seems to function the way I want however, it does not save to web but rather sets a computer of your own as the file server. I know there is box.net and a series of others but the ones I've looked at don't seem to be sync capable (correct me if I'm wrong) and there is mozy.com but that seems to be more geared to pure backup where as I am going to be constantly working with the files. Essentially I want a place where I can store all my documents so that I can access them anywhere there is internet. And then when I get back to my my own computer the files will be there on the server ready for me to download and edit at home and so on (you get the idea). So any suggestions would be much appreciated.

It also seems that Google is coming out with their own online backup solution in 2008. I'm optimistic about that but there are no real details. Besides which, I need something now.

hwojtek
Forum Regular
Dec 20, 2007, 06:25 AM

I am a big fan of Mozy - once set up, it's an invisible backup solution.

If you'd rather work with your files, check google's docs&spreadsheets.
Wojtek

All Macs still running: iMac G3 Trayloader 333MHz, iMac G3 350 MHz, iMac G4, PM G4 DP 1.6 GHz, 2 x eMac 1 GHz, PBG4 12" 1.5 GHz, Mac SuperMiniā„¢ C2D 2.33GHz/802.11n/200GB, Mac Pro Quad Core 2.0 GHz/4GB.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 20, 2007, 10:36 AM

I would suggest something application agnostic so that you aren't locked in to some proprietary app or "blackbox" service. If it were me, I would want flexibility in how I can access my data.

There are several places that will provide online storage that is accessible via AFP, SSH, or WebDAV, and several techniques for shuttling files to and from this way (e.g. scp/ssh, rsync, scripted WebDAV share mount/copy, etc.)

NateEssex
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 17, 2008, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
I would suggest something application agnostic so that you aren't locked in to some proprietary app or "blackbox" service. If it were me, I would want flexibility in how I can access my data.

There are several places that will provide online storage that is accessible via AFP, SSH, or WebDAV, and several techniques for shuttling files to and from this way (e.g. scp/ssh, rsync, scripted WebDAV share mount/copy, etc.)
Would you mind sharing some of the "trusted" online backup solutions? I would prefer to select what data gets backed up as opposed to having Mozy do it in the background, not really being sure what is being backed up.

Thanks!
MBP 15" 2.33 ghz 256Video Card
40 Gig iPod, Airport Extreme

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 17, 2008, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by NateEssex View Post
Would you mind sharing some of the "trusted" online backup solutions? I would prefer to select what data gets backed up as opposed to having Mozy do it in the background, not really being sure what is being backed up.

Thanks!
Honestly, I think that trusted online backup solution is an oxymoron - at least as far as free ones go... that is, they don't exist.

Nothing is free. What is in it for these companies to provide a free online backup service and the disk space to store your data? The answer is that they want to control your data. They want to be able to mine it and sell this data to advertisers, lock you into some other product of theirs - something. There is always a catch, there has to be.

Fortunately, there also really isn't a need for an online backup service if you are savvy enough to setup your own backup system. Your backup system can be machine to machine (local or on another network), machine to NAS (local or on another network), or machine to your own server (such as your web server where your domain is hosted, if applicable).

The problem with most of these right now is bandwidth. Most ISPs throttle back your upload bandwidth big time. In many cases, there is not even enough bandwidth available to stream an mp3 file. In these instances, it is generally impractical to backup a 30 gig home directory to anywhere outside of your LAN.

Personally, I backup my home machines to a Linux box in the house attached to a lot of disk, and this Linux box is facing the world so that I can retrieve files when I'm not in the house. This works quite well, these aforementioned ISP bandwidth restrictions do not affect LAN performance.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 18, 2008, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Honestly, I think that trusted online backup solution is an oxymoron - at least as far as free ones go... that is, they don't exist.
Mozy (mentioned above) is encrypted. You pick a key, the data is transmitted and stored encrypted.

Unless there is a back door in the client software, the stored data is safe.

-t

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 18, 2008, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Mozy (mentioned above) is encrypted. You pick a key, the data is transmitted and stored encrypted.

Unless there is a back door in the client software, the stored data is safe.

-t

I'm not that concerned with the safety of data from the outside world with these sorts of services, these companies have some incentive to keep your data fairly secure. I'm far more concerned with these companies using your data to turn themselves a profit, as I've described.

It would be foolish to think that these companies aren't in it to make a profit.

Forum Links
Forum Rules