Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Anyone use Jaadu VNC on their iPhone?

Anyone use Jaadu VNC on their iPhone?
sknapp351
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 26, 2008, 02:27 PM

I am looking at this software to be able to access my computer from elsewhere in the house, but also while I am at work. I have heard it can be slow over an edge network, but mostly I would be using it over wifi networks. My concern is primarily security. Just hoping for any thoughts.
SAm

Professional Poster
Dec 26, 2008, 04:38 PM

Use free Mocha VNC if it's just casual use.

sknapp351  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 31, 2008, 05:42 PM

Well, I installed Mocha lite (the free one, whichever it is) and it was rough. It could not access the whole screen, so the dock was not able to be used. I found the interface with the cursor to be hardly usable as well. Since I had an iTunes gift card and there were no other apps enticing me, I went for it and bought Jaadu. It is really impressive. Over the local WIFI network there is hardly and lag in screen refresh and control. I logged in to my Mac Pro over the standard Edge network while I was waiting for my wife to get out of work yesterday and the screen refresh is noticeably slower, but still very usable if you needed to retrieve info. I opened TextEdit and left her a note that got me hit later that night when she found it.
There is no 3G here where I live, but if it is decent on Edge I would love to try it on 3G. The button controls are great and all the F- buttons are accessible and so forth. I often hook up my laptop to the TV to use to hatch Hulu and do online lessons from Lynda.com and such. This is the ultimate remote for that too.
SAm

Big-C
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 1, 2009, 12:49 PM

I have it installed, and I like the software, but I don't think I can offer much by way of help. I don't use it over the internet, and thereby don't care about security. I use it to refresh the sync of my appletv from my bedroom so don't even type on it.

I've never tried any of the other apps, so I don't know if there's anything better or not.

All I can offer is that for my basic uses, it is rock solid and has never failed to work.

joe
Mac Elite
Jan 1, 2009, 07:51 PM

I've tried Mocha-lite over WiFi with similar results. I just thought the sluggishness and screen limitations were due to my iPhone's hardware. There is a full version of Mocha tho. Does anyone know how it compares to Jaadu? Are these the main VNC apps for the iPhone? Do they work with VNC apps for 'doze? It would be nice to see a review covering all the features and performance of both.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 2, 2009, 11:51 AM

I use Jaadu VNC. Works very well over 3G (and is great over wifi, obviously). I'm able to control from anywhere my Mac at home. Very handy. Didn't mind the price given the well thought out controls of the Jaadu app.

Forum Links
Forum Rules