Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Help me diagnose my MBP

Help me diagnose my MBP
drewcifer
Forum Regular
Feb 6, 2009, 08:09 AM

Hey i just dropped my macbook pro and got two pretty substantial dents on the front left and right corners.

The screen will only operate at the lowest brightness setting, even when it is set to maximum in system preferences.

Anyone know how serious this is and how much it might cost to fix? Also it is still in warranty. Do I call apple? Do I admit that i dropped it? What course of action would you take?

thanks for the replies.
Macbook Pro 15" (fully spec'd out)

...waiting for 6g ipods.

ChrisF
Senior User
Feb 6, 2009, 05:42 PM

If it's dented, you won't have to admit you dropped it. The warranty just isn't going to cover impact damage, and the repair is likely to be quite expensive. Calling Apple is about the only option. I wouldn't specifically say you dropped it, but it really won't matter.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 6, 2009, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by drewcifer's sig
...waiting for 6g ipods.
?

The 6G iPods came out in September 2007

dowNNshift
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 7, 2009, 10:46 AM

Damage caused by dropping your machine is never covered by Apple warranties. We classify it as AD/A Accidental Damage / Abuse.

If the iSight camera still works fine, then avoid an over priced repair and get just the bare LCD replaced. That repair would take roughly 3 hours to perform. The bare LCD depending on your model usually goes for $270.

Check out your authorized service provider options in your area or there are several mail-in options available too.

Forum Links
Forum Rules