Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > APC BackUp Pro 1500 Not Showing in Energy Saving System Prefs Panel

APC BackUp Pro 1500 Not Showing in Energy Saving System Prefs Panel
Anto39x
Jan 10, 2014, 03:17 PM

Hi there... I recently purchased and received (today) a brand new APC BackUp Pro 1500 and I set it all up and started up my MacPro only to find that no settings were appearing in the usual Energy Savings System Prefs dialog panel.... ?

Has anyone experienced this and is there any workaround ? All cables connected to my MacPro pro have been checked and all are correctly attached from the APC UPS to the MacPro. My MacPro is a 12Core MacPro (Mid-Late 2010) and I'm running OSX 10.9 with 32GB RAM. I have no control over the setting for this.

I contacted APC Support about this today and they emailed me back with a MacOSX SetUp Guide... the images in the guide look like they are for OSX 10.6 or 10.7 and their Phone Support Lines are closed now for the weekend.

Any help or comments would be much appreciated.

Regards, Irish MacUser & MacAddict

is not
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 11, 2014, 12:21 PM

Hi,

Does it show up in System Profiler? I have an APC Back-UPS ES 700 and it is connected by USB to an old G4 and it shows on Energy Savings and on the menu bar as menulet. I'll try on Mavericks later.

Anto39x  (op)
Jan 11, 2014, 12:28 PM

Thank you for your reply and comments Fresh Face Recruit... much appreciated.

It is showing up in System profiler under the USB section... saying:
Back-UPS RS 1500G FW:878.L4 .I USB FW:L4 :

Product ID: 0x0002
Vendor ID: 0x051d (American Power Conversion)
Version: 0.90
Serial Number: 3B1324X13079
Speed: Up to 12 Mb/sec
Manufacturer: American Power Conversion
Location ID: 0x3d100000 / 2
Current Available (mA): 500
Current Required (mA): 2

I used to have an APC Smart UPS 750 and that did display in the Energy Savings prefs... but not sure if it was after a system update or what... but that also stopped displaying.... I had issues with the system and APC could figure if it needed a battery replacement or if the hardware was damaged... so I decided to buy this new one instead... and I'm getting the same non-display of the setting in Mavericks... and and old APC didn't display in 10.8 either.

So not sure what this new one isn't working either.... ggggrrrrrr.... so frustrating...

Regards,
Anthony

is not
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 11, 2014, 12:49 PM

Hi Anthony

Just checked on Mavericks, the APC is showing up in System profiler and Energy Savings pref too but without a colorful graphic with the battery charge as was show on the G4 running 10.5.8

Anto39x  (op)
Jan 11, 2014, 01:17 PM

Hi again....

Are you a MacPro 12 Core (Mid- Late 2010) machine also..?

I have tried looking as a Test and Guest user and still nothing showing in the Energy Savings dialog box... Nadda... nothing so that I can control the UPS.

Anyone know of any good quality third party workaround software that will work with OSX 10.9 ?

I tried APCUPSD but it's only compatible with 10.6 and I don't seem to be able to use it to set the settings.

Regards,
Anthony

is not
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 11, 2014, 01:41 PM

Hi Anthony,

My machine is a Mac mini i7 16GB RAM SSD + HD.

Have you installed any other software for controlling the UPS? I remember the software that came with APC was failing after 10.5.x (or it was 10.4??) and next OS versions always on intel machines. I think it was powerchute.
( Last edited by is not; Jan 11, 2014 at 03:01 PM. )

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 12, 2014, 02:09 PM

Did it come with a CD? I've run into an occasional issue with Macs not adding the device properly until the "PowerChute" utility was run/installed via the CD.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Anto39x  (op)
Jan 14, 2014, 03:45 PM

Hi there ghporter and others... thanks again for all your contributions.

Powerchute doesn't work for MacOSX anymore... only Windows.... I have spoken with APC Tech Support and they say it should just work out of the box with the native Energy Savings Prefs dialog box.... but it isn't.... we are going down the step by step troubleshooting process at present and with no success with that... they are now replacing the USB/Serial cable... I'm not holding out much hope of that working.... I think I will be stuck with the system with no controls and hoping that if I do get a power cut I will be there to manually shut it down myself. I work long hours so the chances are that will work.

Thanks again for all your help guys. Much appreciated.

Regards,
Anthony

Forum Links
Forum Rules