Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > upgrading to faster hd

upgrading to faster hd
yoyoman
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 7, 2006, 11:57 AM

http://www.seagate.com/cda/newsinfo/...1,3196,00.html

"Seagate's second-generation 2.5-inch enterprise class disc drive, the Savvio 10K.2, delivers high I/O transaction performance with world-record 1.6 million hour MTBF reliability and up to 146GB capacity. With ultra-low power consumption that has dropped an average of 15% over its prior generation, and a size that is 70% smaller than conventional 3.5-inch drives, the Savvio 10K.2 makes possible the integration of more drives into smaller chassis sizes to enable storage systems to run cooler, faster, and more reliably than ever."
or Three of Seagate's Momentus family 2.5-inch notebook PC hard drives are now available with perpendicular recording technology to deliver unmatched mobile computing capacities of 160GB. The drives include the Momentus 5400 PSD, a 2.5-inch notebook hybrid hard drive that combines rotating disc storage with flash memory for greater power efficiency, faster boot-ups and increased reliability; the Momentus 5400.2 FDE, the industry's only 2.5-inch encrypting drive that delivers the highest levels of protection for data on lost, stolen or retired notebook PCs; and the Momentus 7200.2, a 7200-RPM drive for high-performance laptops.

Which do you think would be faster. One has higher RPM's and the other has a flash drive built in at 256 megs or something like that.
I am plaining to get a mac book in August and was looking to do this upgrade.

The Grammaton Cleric
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 7, 2006, 02:34 PM

Perpendicular recording is sweet, these first drives coming out using are just barley touching the surface of what can be done with it. I doubt the 5400 PSd would do anything for ya today. I haven't read any reviews of that drive, but most uses of hybrid disks require the OS to support them. Basicly they use the flash memory for optimizing throughput, like your temp file and open files will save there, then get transfered the disk in the background while they aren't needed. The encrypting drives again need operation level support. One thing I always liked about the dell and IBM notebook is that they would let you use a HD password which basically locked the hard drive's controller, so that even if you pulled the HD and put it into another machine you couldn't use it without that password. I see the encrypted HD as fathering that feature, but you need hardware level support to "unlock" it. Again I don't current mac books could make use if it. The 7200.2 sounds like your best bet.

yoyoman  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 7, 2006, 03:00 PM

so no 10k hd with 146 gigs ether?

yoyoman  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 8, 2006, 03:28 AM

Jerome
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 8, 2006, 12:36 PM

So what are the currently biggest 7200RPM drives that fit in the Macbook?

yoyoman  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 8, 2006, 07:21 PM

100 gigs is the max for 7200 but this 10k is 146 gigs.

Forum Links
Forum Rules