Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPad as e-reader outdoors?

View Poll Results: How often do you plan to use iPad outdoors?
Poll Options:
All the time. 0 votes (0%)
Most of the time 2 votes (28.57%)
Sometimes. 2 votes (28.57%)
Not at all 3 votes (42.86%)
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll
iPad as e-reader outdoors?
chrisqmalibu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2010, 07:54 PM

Amazon started a new Ad last week showing how bad the iPad is as outdoor e-reader. I immediately agree having been used the iPad on the beach. However, I found a YouTube video showing how to use the iPad as e-reader under sun light. I can now use the iPad quite nicely outside even under strong sun light. The tips is to use white on black quick switch mode, maximum brightness and polarized sunglasses. Using the techniques properly makes the iPad much more comfortable as e-reader outside. It's a great PDF ebook reader.

Kindle pool Ad: YouTube - New Kindle Pool Ad
Using iPad outdoors: YouTube - Unofficial iPad answer to Kindle by the pool Ad. Version 2

Railroader
Banned
Sep 22, 2010, 09:05 PM

I have tried using the iPad outside many many different ways. I just wasn't nearly as satisfied as I was when using a friend's Kindle outside. No comparison. Period.

That said, if a person is buying an iPad for exclusive use as an eBook reader than they are wasting their money. A Kindle is only $130 and is much easier to use and read as an eBook reader.

The thing that bugs me is that the comparisons between an iPad and a Kindle are disingenuous due to the fact that THEY ARE COMPLETELY DIFFERENT DEVICE FOR COMPLETELY DIFFERENT PURPOSES!!! It is like comparing a home land-line phone service to a smartphone. They both happen to do one similar thing, but that is it.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 22, 2010, 09:41 PM

Here's an unrelated question: I just found a free app (calibre) that lets you convert PDFs and HTML into ePub (iPad eBook) format. Hyper awesome.

Can you do that with a Kindle ?
Just curious, since I thought the Kindle can only get loaded with stuff directly from Amazon.

-t

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 22, 2010, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by chrisqmalibu View Post
The tips is to use white on black quick switch mode, maximum brightness and polarized sunglasses. Using the techniques properly makes the iPad much more comfortable as e-reader outside. It's a great PDF ebook reader.
This approach makes a lot of sense. LCD displays tend to be very much either "good" or "bad" with polarized sunglasses, but going from a black-on-white to white-on-black format should play to the strengths of the display's characteristic polarization.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

chrisqmalibu  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 23, 2010, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
I have tried using the iPad outside many many different ways. I just wasn't nearly as satisfied as I was when using a friend's Kindle outside. No comparison. Period.

That said, if a person is buying an iPad for exclusive use as an eBook reader than they are wasting their money. A Kindle is only $130 and is much easier to use and read as an eBook reader.

The thing that bugs me is that the comparisons between an iPad and a Kindle are disingenuous due to the fact that THEY ARE COMPLETELY DIFFERENT DEVICE FOR COMPLETELY DIFFERENT PURPOSES!!! It is like comparing a home land-line phone service to a smartphone. They both happen to do one similar thing, but that is it.
I do have the latest Kindle as well. The problem is Kindle is horrible

1) when the light is low. I have to actually use headlamp to read with Kindle!!! How fun is that? This applies to even indoors during the day. Kindle lack of backlight backfires for most e-readers who won't want to spend time reading under the sun. Who want cancer for a book?

2) when I need to navigate complex PDF ebooks. Have you tried converting PDF into ePub or a format that work better with Kindle? We lost most of the formatting. It messed up format big time. Multi-touch is the key for PDF ebooks. A good e-reader must have multi-touch. I find Kindle is not suitable for serious PDF ebook readers. Most e-books are PDF.

3) Kindle does not support ePub! It does support PDF and Amazon proprietary format.

4) I don't want any books available on Amazon. They are expensive. I need e-reader for Itunes U. iTunes U comes with video and PDF ebooks. Can the Kindle play video in full color? If I ever want any books on Amazon, I can use Kindle for iOS.

When Apple releases the 7" iPad, Nobody would want Kindle. I'll return my Kindle soon. I feel it's a waste of money. I'll buy the 7" iPad as a lighter alternatives when it comes out.

Kindle does try to do what iPad does with web browser. It's horrible! There are more to life than just reading books on black and white screen.

chrisqmalibu  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 23, 2010, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Here's an unrelated question: I just found a free app (calibre) that lets you convert PDFs and HTML into ePub (iPad eBook) format. Hyper awesome.

Can you do that with a Kindle ?
Just curious, since I thought the Kindle can only get loaded with stuff directly from Amazon.

-t
KIndle does support PDF as well. You can connect it to your Mac and it will show up as a USB drive. Simply drag and drop PDF into Documents folder and eject it. KIndle will see it.

KIndle does not support ePub. Worst, PDF to ePub conversion is not very good for technical books (programming, Physics, etc). Conversion almost always messes up formatting making it a real headache.

Even with Kindle DX using 9.7" screen, you are better off with the iPad (specially for PDF ebooks).

chrisqmalibu  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 23, 2010, 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
This approach makes a lot of sense. LCD displays tend to be very much either "good" or "bad" with polarized sunglasses, but going from a black-on-white to white-on-black format should play to the strengths of the display's characteristic polarization.
Yes, it does. Adjusting the combination properly and the iPad works quite decent in strong sun light. Nobody will spend 8 hours reading in the sun. I would say 30-45 mins is enough before cancer kicks in. iPad can handle that just fine (at least for me).

I'll hope to reshoot this weekend. It's not easy to show what I see through my sunglasses and to try to do the same with DSLR lens/circular polarizing filter.

I almost gave up on the iPad and go for Kindle. Kindle is not very good for what power e-readers need (beyond reading novels and stuffs). I did try to give Kindle a fair chance. It fails.

I do like 1) how light Kindle is 2) how long the battery last. I dislike Kindle for 1) can't handle PDF ebooks very well 2) black & white screen 3) dog slow 4) low quality build 5) where is multi-touch? 6) the web browser is based on Apple webkits but the navigation is horrible. 7) 4GB storage!!!! Most people I know have PDF ebooks way more than that. Why doesn't Amazon offer SD slot?

Phileas
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2010, 01:52 PM

In direct sunlight the Ipad is 100% useless, however in the shade with the brightness cranked up it's fine, even on a very sunny day. I've used it on the beach, sitting in the shade underneath a tree, without problems.

chrisqmalibu  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 24, 2010, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by Phileas View Post
In direct sunlight the Ipad is 100% useless, however in the shade with the brightness cranked up it's fine, even on a very sunny day. I've used it on the beach, sitting in the shade underneath a tree, without problems.
What you see at YouTube - Unofficial iPad answer to Kindle by the pool Ad. Version 2 is actually iPad on direct sun light. Note how's hot it was (I had to take my shirt off during the shoot).

Note that, I use a combination of white on black mode, max brightness, and most importantly polarized sunglasses. If you get the right angle, even in direct sun light, the iPad will be ok as well. It's good enough for me not having to use Kindle in direct sun light.

Please take a look again. I'll reshoot this weekend to hopefully figure out a way to get rid of the flare. I think I know exactly what equipment I need.

pcryan5
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 24, 2010, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by chrisqmalibu View Post
I do have the latest Kindle as well. The problem is Kindle is horrible
Eye of the beholder perhaps. I have both. My iPad overheats outside in quite quickly. My kindle is great for the beach, when flying, in bed and so on. I like flicking my kindle books to my iPhone, my iPad and so on. My iPad is great for reading kindle books when sitting up.

Different places / different readers - i like them both - works for me.

~P

chrisqmalibu  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 24, 2010, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by pcryan5 View Post
Eye of the beholder perhaps. I have both. My iPad overheats outside in quite quickly. My kindle is great for the beach, when flying, in bed and so on. I like flicking my kindle books to my iPhone, my iPad and so on. My iPad is great for reading kindle books when sitting up.

Different places / different readers - i like them both - works for me.

~P
I'm trying to make myself like Kindle. It's just not very good for power readers. Most of the ebooks are in PDF and are in color. Kindle is a horrible PDF readers. Most of my books are in PDF format and it's in color.

I even take Kindle with me alongside the iPad. I ended up using the iPad 99.999% of the time. I'll continue to take the Kindle with me a few more weeks just to be fair. I rarely use Kindle. I'm trying to force myself to use the Kindle.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 24, 2010, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by pcryan5 View Post
My kindle is great for the beach, when flying,
LOL, yeah, I saw that women on the plane, reading a kindle in the darkned cabin, with a flashlight in her hand.

I enjoyed my iPad even more after that

-t

Forum Links
Forum Rules