Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Different quality iPhone 3G screens?

Different quality iPhone 3G screens?
CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Aug 26, 2008, 01:34 AM

I purchased a white 16 GB iPhone 3G on July 15th and the screen was great -- very bright, great colors and viewing angle. I just picked up another 8 GB black 3G today which came loaded with 2.0.1 so I'm assuming it was made recently and the screen has a whole different color saturation (blues seem way too bright) and the viewing angle is HORRIBLE compared to the screen on my white model.

Anyone else notice this difference from theirs to someone elses?

gradient
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2008, 01:44 AM

The screen on my 3G isn't nearly as nice as the only on my original iPhone, by far the biggest disappointment of my upgrade experience. It has the well documented yellow hue to it where my original one had a much clearer, crisper display.

macwall
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 26, 2008, 01:54 AM

i've been hearing that some people have "blue-tinted" screens with a worse quality but i never seen it before.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 26, 2008, 02:16 AM

Take it back if you're not satisfied.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 26, 2008, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by gradient View Post
The screen on my 3G isn't nearly as nice as the only on my original iPhone, by far the biggest disappointment of my upgrade experience. It has the well documented yellow hue to it where my original one had a much clearer, crisper display.
Some iPhones had the yellow tint, this problem has since been addressed by a software update as far as I know. I agree, if the screen is a dud, return the phone for repair.

CheesePuff  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 26, 2008, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Take it back if you're not satisfied.
That's what I'm worried about -- are they going to let me exchange it for a new one if to the normal persons eye it looks like a regular display? If I showed the screen to someone they would say it looks great, but when comparing it to my other 3G phone you can tell a difference.

Geofries
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 26, 2008, 10:00 AM

Can you take them both in to point out the difference to them?

Forum Links
Forum Rules