Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MacBook Pro black screen

MacBook Pro black screen
Doc HM
Professional Poster
May 20, 2011, 03:45 PM

This has got me scatchng my head

2008 15in MAcBook Pro. Starts fine, chimes, screen lights up, but only for a second, at most. The screen then goes black but te Mac starts fine.

If I connect an external monitor then it's all good and I get a picture on the external screen.

In order to jump over the various trouble shooting issues I went straight to fitting a replacement whole screen assembly thus swapping out the screen, backlight, inverter and cables all in one go.

Result, exactly the same.

Any ideas, graohics card issue should result in external screen not displaying either I would have though?
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
May 20, 2011, 04:50 PM

Weird. I've never seen a GPU issue effect only the built-in display.

Did you eliminate software issues?

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
May 20, 2011, 05:12 PM

2008 MBPs don't have inverters, they have LED driver boards. LED panels don't tend to have backlight issues so is it possible your MBO is older than you think.

Regardless if you have replaced the listed parts (inverter or LED driver) with known good ones, then its the inverter/LED driver feed from the logic board thats probably gone. Much more common in CCFL MBPs and PowerBooks.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Doc HM  (op)
Professional Poster
May 21, 2011, 04:44 PM

Quite right it is earlier. I think your right. Also not helping is the obvious red wine spill all over the optical drive and video cable/logic board connector.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 22, 2011, 04:46 AM

Red wine spill? Yowza. That Mac has a drinking problem. (I know, not a laughing matter for its owner, but it is an expensive lesson!)

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Doc HM  (op)
Professional Poster
May 22, 2011, 05:47 AM

New Mac. His business is buying it for him. So no real lesson learned thee I guess.

Forum Links
Forum Rules