Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Pay me $5,000,000 otherwise I will upload the full version of this video to the web.

Pay me $5,000,000 otherwise I will upload the full version of this video to the web.
Sealobo
Dec 14, 2011, 09:42 AM

Tiresias
Dec 14, 2011, 11:14 AM

I know this is a viral marketing campaign for some movie but I don't get it.

What video?

A grainy super-8 reel of a sunset?

Why do we care if he uploads it or not?

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Dec 14, 2011, 12:14 PM

The grainy blob on the left looks like a tyre of some kind.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Tiresias
Dec 14, 2011, 01:25 PM

And Google identifies the website at the bottom of the page as a possible phising site.

Context please, Sealobo. Why have you deemed this worthy of our attention?

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Dec 14, 2011, 01:29 PM

Maybe it's Cloverfield 2.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 14, 2011, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
Maybe it's Cloverfield 2.
You know, Cloverfield was a damn good movie for the most part. Pretty underrated, I think.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Dec 14, 2011, 04:50 PM

I liked it. My only disappointment was that it (mostly) had nothing to do with Lovecraft's Cloverfield. I still enjoyed it, though.

iM@k
Senior User
Dec 14, 2011, 05:35 PM

I liked it. My only disappointment was that it (mostly) had nothing to do with Lovecraft's Cloverfield. I still enjoyed it, though.
On the contrary I think it is in fact the Cthutulu( sp?), at least that's how I interrupted it (hence the post scene where you see something falling from the sky when they're on the train) and the little things match the smaller creatures Lovecraft described. Grant it's more T-Rex looking then a many tentacled creature.
What, me worry?

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 14, 2011, 06:00 PM

It's the continuation of this.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Dec 14, 2011, 06:03 PM

No doubt, I think it had a lot of Lovecraftian elements to it. I enjoyed it for what it was. I was just disappointed it wasn't an official Call of Cthulhu movie. Guillermo Del Toro has been trying to get funding to do a Cthulhu movie, but the movie studios keep backing out. It's frustrating considering how well Cloverfield did.

Speaking of which, did you ever see The Myst? It's based on Stephen King's book of the same name, but the director improvised a lot with the movie, and modeled it after H. P. Lovecraft more than Stephen King (director admits as much in the DVD extras.) King was worried about the movie after he heard what budget they had to work with, the shooting time (3 weeks!), and all the changes made to the film. When King saw the movie and the new, alternate ending that the director had shot, he said, "THAT'S how my book should have ended!" and was thoroughly impressed with the movie. As was I.

It had a great high-budget feel for what essentially should have been a direct to video B-Movie.

iM@k
Senior User
Dec 14, 2011, 07:56 PM

No doubt, I think it had a lot of Lovecraftian elements to it. I enjoyed it for what it was. I was just disappointed it wasn't an official Call of Cthulhu movie. Guillermo Del Toro has been trying to get funding to do a Cthulhu movie, but the movie studios keep backing out. It's frustrating considering how well Cloverfield did.

Speaking of which, did you ever see The Myst? It's based on Stephen King's book of the same name, but the director improvised a lot with the movie, and modeled it after H. P. Lovecraft more than Stephen King (director admits as much in the DVD extras.) King was worried about the movie after he heard what budget they had to work with, the shooting time (3 weeks!), and all the changes made to the film. When King saw the movie and the new, alternate ending that the director had shot, he said, "THAT'S how my book should have ended!" and was thoroughly impressed with the movie. As was I.

It had a great high-budget feel for what essentially should have been a direct to video B-Movie.
The story was actually a short story in a collection of such by King (So to answer your question: yes I read it, in Middle School). I've not seen the movie but had heard as such.

If they do make a true Cthulhu movie, they should keep the first person/documentary style they did with Cloverfield, but it should be filmed in 8mm black & white as a record of Thurstons investigation stemming from his Uncle's manuscript, thus giving a sense of time period authticity (give him a Watson-esque assistant who can be doing the filming).

As a matter of fact that one of the old T tunnels under city hall in Boston is used for document storage, I'd start the film out in typical 3rd person modern day digital color of two teens breaking into the afore mentioned abandoned tunnel and comming across boxes of "junk". As the teens turn their back to the camera, it pans and zooms to the box they just tossed aside, zooming through the box to show its contents as Thurston's film reels. The cam pans into the reels going black, cue sound of film projector and Thurston's story in black and white begins.

As a nod to Clovefield, When Thurston's story is done, you're returned to the teens in modern day Boston, still in the tunnel. One senses something behind them (off camera), turns around and screams. Screen goes black, scream gets cut off, roll credits.
What, me worry?

Sealobo  (op)
Dec 14, 2011, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
Context please, Sealobo. Why have you deemed this worthy of our attention?
I know this isn't as interesting as poop transplant but still.

Tiresias
Dec 14, 2011, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
It's the continuation of this.
After watching that video one ivanfrancisco83 posted,

am i seriosly this high?!

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2011, 09:47 PM

He wants $5. Pay the man.

Forum Links
Forum Rules