Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Hands On: Frax HD 1.3.1 (iOS)

Hands On: Frax HD 1.3.1 (iOS)
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Feb 12, 2016, 01:31 PM

Fractals are pretty neat - those intricate geometric curves that seem to continue on infinitely. Fractals are often used to explain the way crystals grow and snowflakes form, and even the way galaxies have come to be. On top of that, as Frax HD shows, they're pretty cool looking as well.

Now that you know what what a fractal is, you might be wondering what is Frax HD? It's an interactive fractal viewer that allows you to explore different types of fractals. You can view a vast library of different, gorgeously rendered fractals. Frax HD is an interesting way to visualize math, though there's no real educational value in it. What it lacks in educational value it immediately makes up with some of the coolest aesthetics we've come across so far.

Instead, it touts itself as more of an interactive art piece. There's a robust library of fractals that you can play with - some of them are animation heavy, others are more geared toward color shifting. Some of them play with 3D lighting in interesting ways that we didn't expect. Pinch to zoom, swipe to move, and drag your finger to change the color of your fractals with vibrant gradients and real-time lighting.

Is there any real solid reason to own Frax HD? It's not a tool, so it's not going to perform some sort of service for you, and it's not a game so there's no real measurable progress you'll make in it -- but that doesn't mean that it's not an interesting download nonetheless.

Frax HD is a great relaxation tool, something to swipe away at while you're listening to music or taking a five minute break at your desk. It's almost meditative, and it's certainly interesting to say the least. If you're the type who likes interesting things just because they're interesting, Frax HD is available for $5 with plenty of extra fractals to buy and is an iPad exclusive.

Who would like Frax HD:
Mathematicians, artists, and art lovers alike are sure to love this interactive app.

Who doesn't need Frax HD:
If you're not much for math, art, or interactive art pieces, there's probably no real reason for you to download this one.

-Amber Neely (@SurferAmber)
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Feb 12, 2016 at 08:04 PM. )

panjandrum
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 12, 2016, 03:49 PM

Wow, those examples are stunning. Thanks for the review. I haven't really played with fractal software since clear back in the Atari ST/TT & Commodore Amiga days. When those platforms more or less vanished from daily use the fractal software available on both PC and Mac systems was orders of magnitude slower, making the process almost unbearably slow for those of us accustom to higher-performing systems. Maybe it's time for me to check it out again though. This should look amazing on a retina display.

thinkman
Feb 12, 2016, 07:16 PM

I've been on the Mac since 1993, when Photoshop was at version 2.5!! Back then, the name Kai Krause (apparently one of the creators of this App) was synonymous with ground breaking Apps (Tools). A number of years ago I found an article on him, living back in Germany and surrounded by Macs. To see his name today is a momentous blast from the past. If I'm not mistaking he created the first really interesting Fractal Generator upon which this one, that blows the others out of the water by a mile, was patterned after. I hope that means he's back in the Mac Apps game! Total genius!

And yes, panjandrum, it is DEFINITELY time for you to check this one out. I believe it's currently free, with no in App purchases, i.e., you get everything this baby has to throw at you. You'll be mesmerized. (P.S., I had an Amiga too ; )

thinkman
Feb 12, 2016, 07:20 PM

P.S., I've been a "Fresh-Faced Recruit" now or over 11 years. I wonder what I have to do to earn my stripes? Anyway, at 70, it's not so awful to be known as "Fresh-Faced".

Steve Wilkinson
Senior User
Feb 12, 2016, 09:14 PM

Wow, yea, that's REALLY cool. And, I absolutely remember Kai! I also used to actually hang out in a 3D forum with John Knoll (co-creator of PhotoShop and ILM fame) back when he used Electric Image Animation System.
------
Steve Wilkinson
Web designer | Christian apologist
cgWerks | TilledSoil.org

NickChapin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 19, 2016, 01:26 PM

I curse you Amber and Frax! After reading this review last week I downloaded and paid for the advanced version with the extras. I'm hooked and have had little sleep since.

Forum Links
Forum Rules