Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Nice TiBook Bag/Briefcase (revisited?)

Nice TiBook Bag/Briefcase (revisited?) (Page 2)
riverfreak
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 8, 2002, 08:42 PM

Originally posted by Christina:

Ok, going w/the super expensive Coach bag!
Hey C -

Did you have a chance to check out this bag in person? Does the Ti fit in it comforatbly? I'm going out to an outlet tomorrow to see what else they have, and am interested in that same coach.

Thanks,

river

riverfreak
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 8, 2002, 08:47 PM

Originally posted by dialo:

Look at me. I feel like an unpaid sales rep. But it's also a small company out in boulder which makes me feel good about giving them money.
Heh! If they can afford to live in boulder they can't be hurting too badly for your money. Had you said, alamosa, well then maybe...

Christina  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 8, 2002, 08:55 PM

Are you interested in the leather one? (Yeah, the $498 bag), or the canvas one on that link?

I want the leather one myself, not been able to find it in a store, and I live near a big big mall. If it doesn't fit, I'm sure I can send it back. I did hear of some other girl on the Ars Technica forums who had a 'coach bag' that her TiBook fit in great, but I never did find out exactly which bag she had...

Christina
Originally posted by riverfreak:

Hey C -

Did you have a chance to check out this bag in person? Does the Ti fit in it comforatbly? I'm going out to an outlet tomorrow to see what else they have, and am interested in that same coach.

Thanks,

river
TiBook - 1GHz, 1GBB, 60GB HD, Combo Drive

riverfreak
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 8, 2002, 09:34 PM

Are you interested in the leather one? (Yeah, the $498 bag), or the canvas one on that link?
I'm looking at that same leather Coach bag. I've never seen that particular model, but I have seen some that the Ti would fit in easily. Still, I hate having to send things back - it's such a pain, making sure you get credited appropriately, etc. It would be good to know up front if the PB will fit.

I'll see if I can see it in person tomorrow, coach store right here, and outlet down the road.

river

kluau88
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 9, 2002, 02:06 AM

If you're near a Coach store and you see something in their catalog you want, they will order it for you

Christina  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 9, 2002, 02:26 AM

Yeah, but you can order online... The stores aren't any cheaper. But will the stores not charge shipping then? That might be a nice break...

Originally posted by kluau88:
If you're near a Coach store and you see something in their catalog you want, they will order it for you

yzeater
Forum Regular
Nov 9, 2002, 09:41 AM

I got the sleeve from sfbags.com with a strap. It's a great bag. Very minimalist, sleek. I like it, and it's dirt cheap!

off/lang
Forum Regular
Nov 9, 2002, 02:50 PM

What size bag did you order? Will the widescreen sleeve fit in them all?

river
I personally got the El Centro. It is 1300 cubic inches (15.75" W x 12.75" H x 6.5" D).

And, yes, all the bags will fit the widescreen powerbook (although, you cannot get the optional laptop sleeve with the smallest bag, The Sweet Pea).

They also have Laptop sleeves, including one specifically for the G4 powerbook

sunkist
Banned
Nov 9, 2002, 11:52 PM

I went to the Coach store and looked at the 498 dollar bag, the Connor Brief. Here is my HUMBLE review.

1) It is not designed with the Powerbook in mind. The compartment for the powerbook will allow it to move around freely, instead of holding it in place like I think it should.

2) If you have a notebook, maybe another text book or something to carry around, this bag isn't for you. Itll hold maybe a small notebook, and some accessories.

3) It's a nice bag, smells good and feels good when the strap is parallel to the bag or if it is around your neck and the bag is draped to your side. But let me re-emphasize that is is NOT designed with the powerbook in mind. The "Foam" type inserts which are used to hold a notebook in place are only helpful in keeping movement from occuring from side-to-side motion. The powerbook will still bang against the front and back of the compartment. I believe a bag, if it is going to be used for the powerbook, should hold it snuggly in place.

I had my credit card ready to go on that bag when I walked into the store. It's beautiful, yuppie-ness at its pinnacle, but it just won't protect the powerbook as well as the the bag mentioned below.

Any other questions, just post them.

As a side note, a friend of mine has a bag from http://www.timbuk2.com and it is great. I went to his place and had him put his powerbook in it along with a couple text books and it felt great. The Notebook computer insert which you can purchase while you are _designing_ your bag is designed explicitly with the powerbook in mind. It fits it *perfectly*. Along with the construction of the bag and the little things it comes with it makes a classly looking bag along with a sporty feel while protecting the powerbook 100%. My friend Chris also likes it because it doesn't really have that appearance of a notebook bag, so stealing it is deterred. I will probably get their bag, the version he has is the Mogwai Commuter Computer bag with Notebook insert (widescreen size).

Just my 34.5 cents!

-Chris
( Last edited by sunkist; Nov 10, 2002 at 12:06 AM. )

riverfreak
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 9, 2002, 11:55 PM

Originally posted by sunkist:
I went to the Coach store and looked at the 498 dollar bag, the Connor Brief. Here is my HUMBLE review.
Thanks! This was really helpful!

How is the potential extra carrying capacity of the Mogwai? Ie adaptors, water, etc? I see they also have a new one, the El Centro which has already been mentioned on this thread as well.

sunkist
Banned
Nov 9, 2002, 11:59 PM

The Mogwai had the space for 3 large programming books and a 5-star 5 subject notebook with the bag closed, as well as the power adapter, a mouse, an ipod and a pair of headphones and of course the powerbook itself. This was a bit overkill, but it was a test of the bag. With all of that stuff in the bag I opened up the bag and looked at the notebook in its computer sleeve and it wasn't squished or anything. In addition to the sleeve it also comes standard with a divider, so that in addition to the sleeve provides ample protection without making it too bulky.

The best thing about it really was that it kept the stuff safe and secure and felt good on my person. Either on the shoulder or the strap over my neck with the bag draped to the side, it felt good, not too straining.

-Chris

SoCal_BigFoot
Nov 10, 2002, 12:41 AM

Chris,

Which fabrics version did your friend choose? Balistic or canvas? How does it feel - soft? How long did he wait for the bag? Thanks

Christina  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 10, 2002, 01:37 AM

Wow, thank you so much! I was going o check, I called Woodfield and the Coach store said they had it... How about if you had your powerbook in a sleeve already, would that inhibit sliding and all? I guess I can check once I have both together and then try at the store...

Again, thanks.

1) It is not designed with the Powerbook in mind. The compartment for the powerbook will allow it to move around freely, instead of holding it in place like I think it should.

2) If you have a notebook, maybe another text book or something to carry around, this bag isn't for you. Itll hold maybe a small notebook, and some accessories.

3) It's a nice bag, smells good and feels good when the strap is parallel to the bag or if it is around your neck and the bag is draped to your side. But let me re-emphasize that is is NOT designed with the powerbook in mind. The "Foam" type inserts which are used to hold a notebook in place are only helpful in keeping movement from occuring from side-to-side motion. The powerbook will still bang against the front and back of the compartment. I believe a bag, if it is going to be used for the powerbook, should hold it snuggly in place.

I had my credit card ready to go on that bag when I walked into the store. It's beautiful, yuppie-ness at its pinnacle, but it just won't protect the powerbook as well as the the bag mentioned below.

Any other questions, just post them.

As a side note, a friend of mine has a bag from http://www.timbuk2.com and it is great. I went to his place and had him put his powerbook in it along with a couple text books and it felt great. The Notebook computer insert which you can purchase while you are _designing_ your bag is designed explicitly with the powerbook in mind. It fits it *perfectly*. Along with the construction of the bag and the little things it comes with it makes a classly looking bag along with a sporty feel while protecting the powerbook 100%. My friend Chris also likes it because it doesn't really have that appearance of a notebook bag, so stealing it is deterred. I will probably get their bag, the version he has is the Mogwai Commuter Computer bag with Notebook insert (widescreen size).

Just my 34.5 cents!

-Chris

sunkist
Banned
Nov 10, 2002, 02:45 AM

I bet if you had a sleeve it would stop all sliding. The compartment for the notebook (powerbook in this case) is rather large as mentioned before. I bet the sleeve would do the trick.

In reference to the person who asked about fabrics he chose for his timbuk2 bag, it was the ballistic nylon. It felt good, not rough at all, very strong. The bags are constructed very well. He waited about a week for his bag.

-Chris

riverfreak
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 10, 2002, 07:50 AM

Originally posted by sunkist: (Re Timbuk2 Mogwai)

The best thing about it really was that it kept the stuff safe and secure and felt good on my person. Either on the shoulder or the strap over my neck with the bag draped to the side, it felt good, not too straining.
-Chris
Thanks Chris -

This was exactly the type of "test" I wanted to see - really gives a good sense of the bag.

river

TobyX
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 10, 2002, 10:48 AM

Anyone ever heard about the PowerSleevz from RadTech ? They seem to be nice just for protection of the cosmetic aspects. BTW, I ordered the Kensington Saddlebag with Apple logo along with my PowerBook from the German Apple Store.
Soylent green is people.

mrchin
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 10, 2002, 01:30 PM

How 'bout the Kensington Saddlebag with embroidered Apple Logo. Nice and inexpensive with great room inside. It has nice padding for the book with many pockets, even a cell phone pouch. It also lets you have 3 carrying options: bike handle, shoulder strap (removable) and backpack (hidden compartment).

I've also got the Aluminum briefcase from Sharper Image from like a year ago. Not at all functional. No space but it looks great whippin' one out at a client.
Dual 2.0 G5/2.5GB/ATI 9800 Pro | MacBook Pro 2.16 Gore Duo/2GB/ATI X1600

DJ Ed White
Nov 10, 2002, 05:52 PM

art_director
Professional Poster
Nov 10, 2002, 06:56 PM

coach products are cheaply made. get yourself an aluminum case from halliburton. they rock.

Christina  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 10, 2002, 07:09 PM

I'm trying not to look like some geeky spy-chick. As I said, I was looking for a nice, quality leather bag that didn't look like a computer bag.

Coach stuff is shoddy? I own a bunch of it, it's lasted for years so far, and it's not made in China.

Originally posted by art_director:
coach products are cheaply made. get yourself an aluminum case from halliburton. they rock.

sunkist
Banned
Nov 10, 2002, 08:58 PM

I'm trying not to look like some geeky spy-chick. As I said, I was looking for a nice, quality leather bag that didn't look like a computer bag.
For 498 dollars, I could probably get a custom made bag the same way as the Coach Connor which fit the Powerbook more securely.

-Chris

Christina  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 10, 2002, 09:11 PM

Well, I saw the bag too, and guess I'd agree. I'd rather spend $100+ less (if I stuck with Coach) and just put the laptop in a sleeve and drop it in one of their totes than get the Conner bag.

For 498 dollars, I could probably get a custom made bag the same way as the Coach Connor which fit the Powerbook more securely.

-Chris

UnixMac
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2002, 11:38 PM

you guys should really look at the London Fog for $99, its a high quality bag and looks good too. I am very detail oriented and have an eye for quality, and it is top notch (could sell for more than $300) with the right name brand.
Mac Pro 3.0, ATI 5770 1GB VRAM, 10GB, 2xVelociraptor boot RAID, 4.5TB RAID0 storage, 30" & 20" Apple displays.
2 x Macbook Pro's 17" 3.06 4 GB RAM, 256GB Solid State drives
iMac 17" Core Duo 1GB RAM, & 2 iPhones 8GB, and a Nano in a pear tree!
Apple user since 1981

jambajooz
Forum Regular
Nov 11, 2002, 04:51 PM

I ordered the Icon backpack made for the Ti G4 at www.spire-usa.com. Anyone have this and have comments? it cost me $130.

riverfreak
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 17, 2002, 11:37 PM

Well, I saw the bag too, and guess I'd agree. I'd rather spend $100+ less (if I stuck with Coach) and just put the laptop in a sleeve and drop it in one of their totes than get the Conner bag.
Christina -

So what did you end up getting? I was just out at a coach outlet store. They didn't have the connor, but they did have a few other laptop oriented bags.

I was, sadly, not impressed. The leather is certainly nice, but they've gone with these very cheap and chintzy feeling zippers. I hate that, it just ruins a perfectly good bag. I cannot understand my manufacturers do that. Just get a big beefy zipper that isn't going to break off from metal fatigue.

On the other hand, I also stopped at the Tumi store. They have some really interesting bags, although it's more of the really soft leather, which isn't really my thing. But you might want to check them out if there is a dealer around you.

river

himself
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2002, 02:08 AM

While it may not be a high-class, super expensive decked-out coach leather bag, drop makes acouple of good laptop bags especially designed for the TiBook... and check the names (Mackin Pro and Mac Pro). the previous TiBook bag model they made was the MacDaddy, and it was one of the flyest laptopo bags I ever seen. Too bad they don't make those anymore.
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

superfoo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 2002, 03:39 AM

I bought a "Trager Hipster" a while back from ebags.com, and I love it.

It fits my TiBook perfectly within an adjustable padded pocket... The materials and craftsmanship of this bag are both top-notch, and I've gotten nothing but compliments about it.

I also like that Trager is a good 'ol American company, that has been around for decades making high-quality outdoor packs and the like.

Their website is http://www.tragerusa.com

superfoo

William_F_House
Forum Regular
Nov 18, 2002, 10:44 AM

Heh! If they can afford to live in boulder they can't be hurting too badly for your money. Had you said, alamosa, well then maybe...
Hey now....living in "the little town between the mountains and reality" isn't that bad.

For the record, I use an Oakley Icon Pack (in red) with a SleeveCase from Waterfield. Perfect amount of stowage and style to suit my tastes.

Going to pick up a 1Ghz Supdrive Powerbook at the Apple Store in Denver this week. I put my name on one only yesterday. Seems like they're beginning to hit the stores now.
- William F. House

Boulder, Colorado
Pre-med student, Radiology Assistant
& sometimes writer

sproutsie
Nov 21, 2002, 11:32 AM

That's actually not too bad. One of the most interesting things I saw listed here so far.

I guess I'm just looking for a nice leather bag that is more like a tote or satchel, etc. Mainly just don't like looking like I'm carrying a computer around. Maybe my computer dorkiness still shines through anyway. lol

hi, christina- i was having the same problems as you- i travel a lot overseas and didn't want my bag to scream- please steal me, i have an expensive computer inside. so for that i got a waterfield design bag and sleeve which have proven to be excellent- sort of laptop-y, but the bag also fits lots of other stuff and is very secure when carried on my person. but i teach at university, and i am on the job market this year, so i also needed something a little more elegant- i looked at coach, thought- damn, those are expensive, and took myself off to tj maxx, where i found an all-leather "a. gianetti" tote- about 18X13X5, which fits my tibook in its waterfield sleeve, my notes and books, and all sorts of other things. i am sorry i don't have a picture of it- but my suggestion to you would be to look for a large leather tote with wide handles- mine is constrcuted of nice thick, well-stitched black leather, has some unobtrusive pockets around the outside, a nice wide flat bottom so it doesn't fall over, and it zips closed. it has solved the purse/briefcase dilemma for me, since i hate carrying so many bags, and has proven to be an absolute workhorse. the final plus is that it holds my tibook perfectly, but it doesn't look like a laptop bag.

-susan
I began casting around desperately for some kind of weapon- maybe an Italian tank with one gun in front and three in the rear in case of retreat, or a huge bush-hog.
-H.S. Thompson

UnixMac
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2002, 11:46 AM

Originally posted by William_F_House:

Hey now....living in "the little town between the mountains and reality" isn't that bad.

For the record, I use an Oakley Icon Pack (in red) with a SleeveCase from Waterfield. Perfect amount of stowage and style to suit my tastes.

Going to pick up a 1Ghz Supdrive Powerbook at the Apple Store in Denver this week. I put my name on one only yesterday. Seems like they're beginning to hit the stores now.

I checked out your site...... nice writing, and poems.
Mac Pro 3.0, ATI 5770 1GB VRAM, 10GB, 2xVelociraptor boot RAID, 4.5TB RAID0 storage, 30" & 20" Apple displays.
Apple user since 1981

William_F_House
Forum Regular
Nov 21, 2002, 01:00 PM

Originally posted by UnixMac:

I checked out your site...... nice writing, and poems.
Thanks UnixMac. I'm working hard with my editor to get several novels published sometime in the new year (I'm sick to DEATH of working in the tech industry!!) Take care.
- William F. House

Boulder, Colorado
Pre-med student, Radiology Assistant
& sometimes writer

riverfreak
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 21, 2002, 04:40 PM

I know. I'm just jealous. But Long Island is a lot like boulder, so it's not that big of a deal

freebird
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 21, 2002, 05:26 PM

You should check out the Sumdex bags. I have the leather flight bag which came free when I bought my Pismo Powerbook from Outpost 2.5 years ago. It still looks great and the Ti fits perfectly. There's good protection for the Ti with a raised bottom and a strap that can velcro over the top. I've taken it on many flights and there's plenty of room for the adapter, snacks, paperback book, etc. and an outside pocket for a newspaper. Ebags has them for $64.99 http://www.ebags.com/products/index....5_Link=Details. They have many other bags as well.

claughery
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 21, 2002, 06:28 PM

vanguard hard cases are the best.
Dual 1.8 G5, 23" cinema oldschool, PB 1.5 ghz 12" SD, iBook 1.07 Ghz, mac mini 1.42, iPod mini, iPod photo 40gb, SE K700i

UnixMac
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2002, 09:36 PM

Thanks UnixMac. I'm working hard with my editor to get several novels published sometime in the new year (I'm sick to DEATH of working in the tech industry!!) Take care.
I agree, tech is for fun, not work (thats my view at least)..... I'm sure you'll do well..... you write well, and heck.... you even sound like a writer William F House.... I'd buy just for the authors name. One of my favorite writers is William F Buckley, though most (not all) of his stuff is non-fiction.
Apple user since 1981

vsurfer
Senior User
Nov 21, 2002, 10:17 PM

That's actually not too bad. One of the most interesting things I saw listed here so far.

I guess I'm just looking for a nice leather bag that is more like a tote or satchel, etc. Mainly just don't like looking like I'm carrying a computer around. Maybe my computer dorkiness still shines through anyway. lol

I have a black Burton DJ bag ready and waiting for the TiBook. It was a natural choice for a boarder. It's carried Hendrix vinyl box sets across the atlantic, kept the rain out, Delta shuttle every month, and has tons of room, plus some nice dedicated CD pockets/sleeves. Durable.

DJ Bag

will supplement the protection that this padded bag offers with a Brenthaven sleeve, as the bottom of the bag is a bit less protected than the sides. The Brenthaven sleeve will also have to keep the dog's claws off, inside the house, in case he decides to type his memoirs.

dvd
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 22, 2002, 01:21 AM

i just got back from the valleyfair applestore and got myself a Incase laptop sleeve, its great!! it cost the same, $40 bucks with tax so about 44. BTW i love the apple store! i wanna work there.
-Athlon XP 1500+, 256 PC2700 DDR RAM, 30 + 60 gig HD.
-Powermac G4 "Digital Audio", 384mb ram, 40gig HD, 16mb rage pro 128
-original iPod 5gig =]

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Nov 22, 2002, 01:27 AM

Originally posted by jambajooz:
I ordered the Icon backpack made for the Ti G4 at www.spire-usa.com. Anyone have this and have comments? it cost me $130.
Spire makes great stuff! My Spire back has been the trustiest backpack I've ever had. Very well put together. Enjoy.

As for the rest of these posts... just, wow... I envy anyone able/willing to buy a $500 bag. I ordered a sleeve from the Apple Store to fit my new TiBook and will carry it around in my Spire backpack/Gap saddlebag. It doesn't scream "STEAL ME!" nearly as much as a $500 leather bag probably would.

rjsen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 22, 2002, 01:53 AM

I just picked up a Gregory Beta backpack and SleeveCase for my new TiBook, and they're both great. The TiBook in the sleeve fits perfectly in the computer area, and there's some extra padding built into the pack. It doesn't hold quite as much as I had hoped, but I wouldn't want a larger pack. (I had hoped to get the TiBook, all its accessories, my schoolbooks, and soccer gear in there, which was probably a bit optimistic. I can fit everything but my cleats and guards, though, or leave behind the AC adapter, extra battery, cables, etc.)

All in all it's a really nice pack with lots of room that doesn't look a thing like a computer bag. It seems really well constructed, and it's a lot more supportive than my old L.L. Bean backpack (it feels much lighter with the same stuff in there). It's even got a nice spot for an iPod, though I don't have one.

madchumpy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 22, 2002, 05:47 AM

Bah... coach stuff looks good, but they aren't made for abuse.

I got an expensive laptap bag $600 from coach as a graduation present a few years ago. Traveled every week for 2 years straight. The leather strap got frayed, strap had a horrible shoulder pad (barely any cushioning), heavier than equivalent nylon bag, laptop compartment overly big, compartment frame became loose.

It was an awesome looking bag and I got plenty of compliments about it. Too bad it couldn't take the abuse of frequent traveling, and I take good care of my belongings. Coach stuff just isn't designed for use, it's designed for looks. I guess that's a broad generalization but I don't think I would buy Coach with my own money.

Forum Links
Forum Rules