Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Re: Severe Power Drainage when not plugged in...

Re: Severe Power Drainage when not plugged in...
Mac Guru
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2004, 11:59 AM

I don't have an internet connection as of right now so I have to live with Kinko's once a week until I can move into my apartment and turn on Cable... so I leave my iBook in my bag. Well every time I come to use my iBook, it's no longer sleeping, (it had a full batt. when it was put to sleep) I then try to boot it up only to find that the battery is 150% drained, so much so that it won't even show status on the LED's.

I downloaded a "iBook / Powerbook battery upgrade" off Software Update about 3 weeks ago and it was supposed to increase the life of my battery. Why is it doing the exact opposite?

I can't use my iBook without it being plugged in or fully charged.

Please help!
Mac Guru

amazing
Professional Poster
Jan 26, 2004, 12:49 PM

Sounds like the iBook is somehow waking up while in your bag, and therefore drains the battery faster than you'd anticipate. Do you have it set to receive faxes or somehow scheduled to turn on?

Try this: Put it on a desk fully charged, on battery, and see if it stays asleep, and how long the charge lasts. At least out of the bag you'll be able to see what's happening to it.

engaged
Location: Close to the sea and a place with a big, big castle...
Jan 26, 2004, 01:17 PM

150% drained?! Kindly explain!

You don't say what iBook you've got, ie how old it is. It could just be that your battery has reached the end of its useful life - they are 'consumable' after all. My Late 2001 iBook battery died after about a year and a half, the iBook would just enter a deep sleep after about fifteen minutes - the only way to rouse it was to plug it in. Same symptoms as yours, but it was back to normal once I got a new battery.

Could be that you need a new battery too; use X-Charge to see what's happening with your battery charge once you unplug it - if it suddenly falls then you require a new one.

Mac Guru  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2004, 01:25 PM

This is a Rev. A iBook Dual USB with a BRAND NEW battery in it.

I was being facetious with the 150% drained to get the point across that it was [bcompletely[/b] drained.

I'll give that app a try and will also try leaving it on a desk open to see if it turns itself back on or not.

Thanks!

Forum Links
Forum Rules