Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Scratched iPhone Screen- Repair ideas ?

Scratched iPhone Screen- Repair ideas ?
hopmad
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 21, 2008, 05:44 PM

I was under the impression the iPhone glass was very scratch resistant. I was wrong.
(sigh)
I managed to scratch a straight line on the glass. Does anyone have any knowledge on
'filling in' glass marks. All the solutions I've read so far all require some sort of 'buffing' and abrasive measures. I will not do that to my iPhone.

I always thought there was a way to fill in the crack/scratch like they do for stone-chip repairs for car wind-shields instead of replacing the entire units. Usually if it's a small crack, they can place some sort of resin and by providing a 'suction' device, the resin gets forced into the cracks and you wipe off the excess before the resin dries.

ANYONE?

reRESERVEDFX
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 24, 2008, 12:28 AM

All I know is buffing it or trying to work it out using some diamond stuff. I don't really know. I would talk to someone who knows a lot about glass. But if you're too worried then just leave it there. One scratch will at least be like a birth mark. It will let u know it's ur iPhone
MacBook Pro 15.4" 2.4Ghz/2GB RAM/GE FORCE 8600M GT/200GB HDD
Apple Cinema Display 23"
New Mac Pro coming this summer....

Randman
Posting Junkie
May 24, 2008, 12:44 AM

Screen protector films are the best!

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

eggman
Mac Enthusiast
May 24, 2008, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Randman View Post
Screen protector films are the best!
Which may be true, but doesn't help the guy who has a scratched screen. In fact, it's kinda rubbing salt in his wounds.

Randman
Posting Junkie
May 24, 2008, 01:47 PM

Not so much rubbing salt but a gentle reminder to those reading this thread to go out and get a freaking screen protector.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
May 27, 2008, 10:19 AM

I was going to ask about this exact thing... so screen protectors do not interfere with the touch controls? Does anyone have any experience with the one from invisible shield? I've used those for a long time and like them, but I had assumed that they would make it harder to use? I guess not.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 27, 2008, 12:39 PM

Screen protectors don't impact usage at all.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Forum Links
Forum Rules