Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > I bought the Dark Knight & Want to get it to my iPhone

I bought the Dark Knight & Want to get it to my iPhone
NateEssex
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 13, 2008, 08:47 PM

I bought the Dark Knight & Want to get it to my iPhone. I usually use MTR and then Handbrake, but MTR couldn't do it. So, I found RipIT, which worked. However, Handbrake crashes every time I try to open the video file created; the kind is "DVD Player Media Document".

The digital copy that comes with the DVD, I think, is PC only. I looked around in the folders and didn't find anything familiar.

Any help would be appreciated.
MBP 15" 2.33 ghz 256Video Card
40 Gig iPod, Airport Extreme

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2008, 11:09 PM

I believe, someone please correct me if I'm wrong, that the media file RipIt creates is a package. If you right click and select "Show Package Contents" you should be able to access the VIDEO_TS folder etc.

Cold Warrior
Dec 13, 2008, 11:19 PM

Just use handbrake only. It'll go from DVD source to MP4 for iPhone. Make sure you're using the latest version of handbrake because it has some nice upgrades.

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2008, 11:58 PM

But is Leopard only...
I have returned... 2020 MacBook Air - 1.1 GHz Quad-Core i5 - 16 GB RAM

64stang06
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2008, 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by Mac User #001 View Post
But is Leopard only...
Sure is and according to the sig for the OP, they have an Intel Mac
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2008, 12:24 PM

Also, if you're using the latest version of Handbrake, make sure you have the latest version of VLC installed. Handbrake no longer does its own DVD decryption, but will transparently use VLC's decrypting capabilities if it can find it.

Atheist
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2008, 12:29 PM

Did you check out this thread on the HandBrake forums? Seems a few people are having a hard time with that DVD.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Dec 14, 2008, 01:30 PM

Didn't it come with a digital copy for iTunes? My Blu-Ray version did.

64stang06
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2008, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by NateEssex View Post
I bought the Dark Knight & Want to get it to my iPhone. I usually use MTR and then Handbrake, but MTR couldn't do it. So, I found RipIT, which worked. However, Handbrake crashes every time I try to open the video file created; the kind is "DVD Player Media Document".

The digital copy that comes with the DVD, I think, is PC only. I looked around in the folders and didn't find anything familiar.

Any help would be appreciated.
I missed that. Not sure how the disc(s) for that are, but I believe one of them has to contain the copy. Insert the disc and open iTunes. I know that the Family Guy Star Wars special had a separate disc and iTunes automatically recognized the digital copy.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

hokie17
Dec 14, 2008, 11:23 PM

The digital copy for TDK works on a Mac with iTunes, but you had to buy the two disc special edition to get it. I did, and it worked perfectly.

I've gotten digital copies this way for TDK, 24: Redemption, and Family Guy: Blue Harvest. The rest of my DVDs I ripped manually (somewhere north of 200 movies).
Al MB 2.4GHz 2GB DDR3

ajprice
Professional Poster
Dec 15, 2008, 05:06 AM

I'll probably be getting TDK. Not sure what format and edition to get it in though. From what I understand, the UK versions might not have Digital Copy on them. If they do (ie they are the same as the US versions), does the Blu-ray have Digital Copy, and could I get that from my PS3 to my Mac or iPhone, directly or by memory card or USB stick?

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

hokie17
Dec 15, 2008, 05:08 AM

I'm the wrong one to ask about BluRay, don't have a player or PS3. But from what I hear, the BD for TDK does have digital copy on a second disc that's a DVD so you don't have to have a BD drive in your computer.
Al MB 2.4GHz 2GB DDR3

Ted L. Nancy
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 15, 2008, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Atheist View Post
Seems a few people are having a hard time with that DVD.
A few alternatives..

MTR gets the job done, but it may take a couple of attempts and a LONG LONG time waiting (some report over 30 hours).

RipIt is apparently handling both the regular and sooped-up versions of the DVD ok now.
10.7.1 on Mac Pro 8x2.8

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Dec 15, 2008, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by Atheist View Post
Did you check out this thread on the HandBrake forums? Seems a few people are having a hard time with that DVD.
Yeah, I couldn't get it to work on Vista or the Mac. Plus, I noticed that when I put another dvd or movie in my laptop, the region had been changed. I had to change it back to region 1. Not sure what happened there.

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Dec 15, 2008, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by Ted L. Nancy View Post
A few alternatives..

MTR gets the job done, but it may take a couple of attempts and a LONG LONG time waiting (some report over 30 hours).

RipIt is apparently handling both the regular and sooped-up versions of the DVD ok now.
I downloaded it a few days ago from a site.

Golden Halo
Dec 27, 2008, 05:25 PM

My blu ray copy came with an itunes version as well.
15.4" Macbook Pro 2.2 Core 2 Duo, 4GB Ram, 500GB HD @ 7,200rpm. 20" iMac Intel Core Duo, 2GB RAM, 256 VRAM, 250 GB HD. Pro apps: Final Cut Studio, and Logic Pro 8.

Ted L. Nancy
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 2, 2009, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Ted L. Nancy View Post
Update:

So I got the low-end, single-disc widescreen version for Christmas. MTR3 handled it in less than 15 minutes. The long rip times for MTR seem to be for the special edition.
( Last edited by Ted L. Nancy; Jan 2, 2009 at 01:41 PM. Reason: Clarification)
10.7.1 on Mac Pro 8x2.8

Forum Links
Forum Rules