Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Tokyo

Tokyo
Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Feb 8, 2011, 11:36 PM

I'm going to be spending a few weeks there starting later this month, and it sounds like the work schedule may be giving me some good amounts of downtime.

I'm assuming the best way to get cash changed is just by using an ATM like I did in Singapore, no?

Anything specific to see, do, avoid?

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2011, 11:37 PM

Watch out for robots.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Feb 8, 2011, 11:48 PM

Noted.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 8, 2011, 11:50 PM

Go see the fish market!

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Feb 9, 2011, 12:24 AM

Buy underwear from a vending machine!
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 9, 2011, 12:39 AM

Buy a fake iPod nano?

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 9, 2011, 12:45 AM

NOT HONG KONG. allcaps

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 9, 2011, 01:41 AM

Will you have time to get out to the country?
( Last edited by besson3c; Feb 9, 2011 at 02:08 AM. )

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 9, 2011, 02:14 AM

Go to the Tokyo Tower. Also, don't be afraid to try the paddle food places. 95% of the ones that I went to were very good in service and food. Also, the McDonald's quality there is AMAZING, pricier (so is everything there though) but amazing.

Have fun in Tokyo, I loved my 4 months there.

reader50
Administrator
Feb 9, 2011, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
Also, don't be afraid to try the paddle food places.
"paddle food places"? I thought that was only in England.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 9, 2011, 05:24 PM

Nope, you tell the cooks in front of you what you want; they make it in front of you, and hand it to you with big paddles. Very fun if you get a paddle guy that knows how to do little tricks while food is on the paddle.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 9, 2011, 07:34 PM

City Hall (observation deck), Harajuku St, Shinjuku station at rush hour

If you have enough time to take day or overnight trips out of Tokyo, the JR Rail pass ($350ish/week) for foreigners is a good deal for riding the Shinkansen (plus trains around Tokyo, but not subway). Must be purchased outside the country.

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 9, 2011, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Will you have time to get out to the country?
The latest email changed things - it sounds like I'll be traveling about 120 minutes from Narita to wherever I'm going. Not 100% on the details yet.

Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2011, 08:40 PM

Go for some good Ramen. Also, check out the Ghibli Museum.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Feb 9, 2011, 09:45 PM

Check your toilets for cameras.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 10, 2011, 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
Check your toilets for cameras.
As well as "special features"

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 10, 2011, 02:04 AM

I'm surprised Besson hasn't suggested yet to have sex with a robot. Very disappointing.

-t

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 15, 2011, 02:30 PM

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 15, 2011, 02:31 PM

I won't believe until you go see a tentacle show.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Feb 15, 2011, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
"paddle food places"? I thought that was only in England.
England says: "WTF are you on about?"
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2011, 07:37 AM

^ it looks yummy

Jens Peter
Senior User
Feb 16, 2011, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Go see the fish market!
I can only second this; I was there twice on our Japan-trip in '09, it's a fantastic place! You get to walk alongside the people working there, it was really good. You have to get there early (we were there around 5:30) to catch the whole thing, and before they are done cutting the tuna up in pieces...!

A picture from Tsukiji on Flickr, by me.

Have fun!

Dork.
Professional Poster
Feb 16, 2011, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
I'm surprised Besson hasn't suggested yet to have sex with a robot. Very disappointing.

-t
The candy canes are occupying all his attention. He only resorts to robots when he gets bored.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 16, 2011, 04:49 PM

Hi Laminar - here's a few tips.

Go to Shibuya (take the Gold Ginza line to Shibuya). Go to the Starbucks: スターバックスコーヒーSHIBUYA店 (filmed in countless movies)
You can spend time watching people from here - this place overlooks one of the busiest intersections in the world.

While in Shibuya, check out Shibuya 109 (you can see it from the aforementioned Starbucks, there's a big 109 on top of a tall tubular building) - this place is a mecca for Japanese fashion, weirdness, and hot girls. You can get food on the top floor. No picture taking allowed.

Asakusa - take the Gold Ginza line in the opposite direction to Asakusa - visit the Sensoji Temple. You can walk, eat, drink, and buy souvenirs here too. It's a beautiful place - old school and new, plus a few orange trees.

Speaking of Ginza - it's worth checking out the expensive stores in Ginza +fancy babes, and good coffee at Illys. This place makes NYC's 5th Avenue look like a slum. Visit Mitsukoshi Department Stores (since 1673) to see a variety of everything. They have an umbrella department, fer crying out loud.

Tokyo Tower is worth a visit - the views are spectacular. When it's clear, you can see Mount Fuji.

If you have more time, check out Fujisankei TV Broadcast center. The train stops right in front (you get to go over Tokyo Bay, quite beautiful). The tour is self guided, and somewhat goofy, but you'll have fun. Part of the tour is a visit to the giant titanium sphere where the morning show is broadcast from.

Avoid Roppongi. Stay away. This is where foreigners go when they feel depressed and get all homesick. Mostly drunken Aussies acting stupid. Which is fun, on second thought. No, stay away, this place is not Japan. Avoid the bar Gas Panic in particular, you'll get drunk. GASPANIC

have fun

btw, I haven't seen panty vending machines in years, they've been outlawed some time ago. Beer vending machines are quickly vanishing as well, and cigarette vending machine have been banned too. You can, however, buy beer and cigs in drug stores, convenient shops, etc - and it's dirt cheap.
( Last edited by osiris; Feb 16, 2011 at 05:10 PM. )
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 16, 2011, 06:50 PM

Really? I've seen tons of the cig vending machines around still. Still waking up way too early in the morning (I've been up since 3AM, just about ready to have breakfast now).

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 16, 2011, 07:28 PM

Hotel Lobby:

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Feb 16, 2011, 08:43 PM

Caffeine, beer and cigs. All you need.

Edit: Oh, and I have a pair of knickers that I bought from a vending machine in Tokyo. The plastic package is still sealed and everything.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 16, 2011, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Really? I've seen tons of the cig vending machines around still. Still waking up way too early in the morning (I've been up since 3AM, just about ready to have breakfast now).
I meant to add that's is hard to find on the street.

I hope you're trying the natto with rice for breakfast! And grab some Boss coffee from the machines, they're really good. Have fun!

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 16, 2011, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
btw, I haven't seen panty vending machines in years, they've been outlawed some time ago.
First: Can't see a reason to buying tighty whities from a vending machine.

BUT: (and I'm almost afraid to ask this ..) what was the reasoning for making such a thing illegal?
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 16, 2011, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by driven View Post
First: Can't see a reason to buying tighty whities from a vending machine.
Cigs are about same prices everywhere, the government limits what can be charged, so it's about the same in stores or in the hotel lobby or in a bar. Maybe it's just a novelty to buy them from a machine.

BUT: (and I'm almost afraid to ask this ..) what was the reasoning for making such a thing illegal?
To protect the kids. Too many underage smokers in Japan.

But to buy on the streets you now need "taspo" - an ID card system to buy adult stuff (to protect the kids). So as a foreigner it's nearly impossible to buy on the street.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 16, 2011, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
Cigs are about same prices everywhere, the government limits what can be charged, so it's about the same in stores or in the hotel lobby or in a bar. Maybe it's just a novelty to buy them from a machine.

To protect the kids. Too many underage smokers in Japan.

But to buy on the streets you now need "taspo" - an ID card system to buy adult stuff (to protect the kids). So as a foreigner it's nearly impossible to buy on the street.
I sort meant why make buying underware from a machine illegal. Kids have underware too.
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 16, 2011, 10:22 PM

I sort meant why make buying underware from a machine illegal. Kids have underware too.
Ah, my bad. I had a few beers tonight.....

But I guess the reason is that selling used school girl panties kind of crosses the line into perversion. Perhaps you didn't know they were used? Some hotels do sell underwear, along with shaving kits, deodorant, etc. in machines, just not the used panties.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Feb 16, 2011, 10:24 PM

They weren't underwear to be worn, usually. It's a fetish thing. Business guy buys ladies' skivvies from machine, takes them to his room, etc.. You get the idea. The ones I bought claimed to have been previously worn, and it was just so insane I had to get them. Left them sealed though, like I said before. No telling what's growing on them.
- Thomas Paine

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 16, 2011, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
They weren't underwear to be worn, usually. It's a fetish thing. Business guy buys ladies' skivvies from machine, takes them to his room, etc.. You get the idea. The ones I bought claimed to have been previously worn, and it was just so insane I had to get them. Left them sealed though, like I said before. No telling what's growing on them.
LOL only in Japan.

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 16, 2011, 11:08 PM

I'm told the breakfast my hotel serves is Chinese. I don't speak Japanese, no one at the restaurant speaks English, so I eat what's there. I recognize sausage and potatoes (both served cold) and there's something that tastes like potato salad, but the rest is a mystery.

I do appreciate the vending machine-style restaurants, though last night I managed to order two large bowls of noodles.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2011, 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
I knew I would regret asking that question. Just ewww .... I mean, seriously !?!? That's a fetish? OMFG!
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Feb 17, 2011, 01:18 AM

I knew I would regret asking that question. Just ewww .... I mean, seriously !?!? That's a fetish? OMFG!

No, those aren't cigs. It seems they're priced according to style and... umm... aroma.
- Thomas Paine

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2011, 01:24 AM

OK. Stop now. I've had enough. Crying uncle.

Move along. Tell the OP about more interesting places to visit.
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 17, 2011, 05:44 AM

I'm told the breakfast my hotel serves is Chinese. I don't speak Japanese, no one at the restaurant speaks English, so I eat what's there. I recognize sausage and potatoes (both served cold) and there's something that tastes like potato salad, but the rest is a mystery.

I do appreciate the vending machine-style restaurants, though last night I managed to order two large bowls of noodles.
If you’re seeing sausages, potatoes, and potato salad, that’s definitely not Chinese breakfast.

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 17, 2011, 07:19 AM

It's served buffet style, so I'm wondering if that's what they were referring to. There are lots of other choices, but I don't know how to describe any of them, other than "strange."

Andy8
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2011, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
If you’re seeing sausages, potatoes, and potato salad, that’s definitely not Chinese breakfast.
Exactly.

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 17, 2011, 07:36 PM

Breakfast:

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 19, 2011, 07:42 AM

The things you’d describe as ‘strange’ are probably more likely to be part of the Chinese breakfast.

There’s nothing in that picture there that looks like it comes from a Chinese breakfast buffet, though, except possible that stuff that looks like noodles (is it?). The sausages and potatoes are Western breakfast stuff, and the chicken (?) just seems a bit odd, unless it’s a Japanese thing.

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 19, 2011, 11:41 AM

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 19, 2011, 12:33 PM

For those that actually speak (well, read) Japanese: that little yellow banner on the left … does it seriously say “half a forehead”?!

(Or does 半额 mean something like “half price” or something like that in Japanese, perhaps?)

OreoCookie
Feb 19, 2011, 01:07 PM

… and the chicken (?) just seems a bit odd, unless it’s a Japanese thing.
I doubt it, I've never seen it at least.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

lurkalot
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 21, 2011, 07:59 AM

For those that actually speak (well, read) Japanese: that little yellow banner on the left … does it seriously say “half a forehead”?!

(Or does 半额 mean something like “half price” or something like that in Japanese, perhaps?)
[Yes, it could literally be read like that: 額 (ひたい / hi ta i / forehead]

It says 半額 (はんがく/ ha n ga ku / Half Price).
( Last edited by lurkalot; Feb 22, 2011 at 03:35 AM. Reason: My original answer was incomplete: added [Yes, it could literally be read like that: 額 (ひたい / hi ta i / forehead])

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 23, 2011, 08:47 AM

Damn. Would have been so much cooler (and somehow, so much Japaneser) to have a place where you could buy half foreheads.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 23, 2011, 09:27 AM

AND at half price. What a bargain.

-t

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 23, 2011, 12:11 PM

No Godzilla pics?
45/47

Forum Links
Forum Rules