Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Duplicate contacts when syncing Google contacts via Exchange

Duplicate contacts when syncing Google contacts via Exchange
Andrew88088
Jun 21, 2009, 12:46 PM

So, I followed the instructions to set up gsync on my iPhone, but when I have it on, I have duplicates of all of my contacts. I assume this is because it is syncing my Mac Address Book and my Google contacts (both of which are identical). I haven't been able to figure out how to fix this. So while I would really like to have the syncing enabled, I have it off for the time being until I can figure out what to do. Anyone know how to resolve this?

mishakim
Forum Regular
Jun 21, 2009, 08:09 PM

Sorry I can't help, I came here to ask essentially the same question. I sync exchange and mobile me, and the handful of contacts that are on both show up twice in my contacts. It's mainly a problem when one of them calls me - the phone says "John or John", and doesn't show the picture that is assigned to him on the Mac. That part is new with 3.0 - it used to assume it was the mobile me one and show the picture.

If your contacts are identical, I'd say don't bother syncing both.

Andrew88088  (op)
Jun 21, 2009, 11:49 PM

Yeah, I disabled the Exchange account for right now. I just have it set to sync my Google contacts when it's connected to my MacBook. I'd ideally like to do it over the air, but until I can figure out how to do it that way without duplicates, this will suffice.

valor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 7, 2009, 01:30 PM

I got the idea here:
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...90617052238509

1. If you have an Exchange or MobileMe account, go into that account in Settings > Mail, Contacts, and Calendars.
2. Turn "OFF" the item(s) you're having issues with (calendars and/or contacts)
3. DELETE the items from your iPhone.
4. Wait for the action to be performed
5. Turn "ON" the item(s) you turned off in #2.
6. DELETE the items from the iPhone when it asks.
7. Enjoy singularity!

Forum Links
Forum Rules