Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPad: Justifiable Reasons to Purchase one

iPad: Justifiable Reasons to Purchase one (Page 4)
lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2010, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Has anyone mentioned kids & car trips as another justifiable reason? Seems like a pad or two would keep them well-engaged with movies and games far better than small screens in seat backs.
I can see my sisters' buying iPads for their kids. A lot cheaper than buying a laptop for each kid.

Cold Warrior
Jan 30, 2010, 03:10 PM

Very much so. Maybe we need an iPad uses idea thread.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jan 30, 2010, 04:02 PM

iPad use #648

Car PC in the dashboard. Music, video and navigation on a big ass screen.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Cold Warrior
Jan 30, 2010, 04:16 PM

That'd be neat. In portrait mode it could even have a gui to control heating, cooling and other functions.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jan 30, 2010, 04:48 PM

The Land Rover LRX concept had an iPhone in it as a start button.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 30, 2010, 05:00 PM

What a completely retarded idea. WTF ?

-t

downinflames68
Baninated
Jan 30, 2010, 05:41 PM

I think it's cool. I really think cell phone/car integration can go a lot farther. I did a concept a few eyars ago of a flip phone that had an arm/disarm button on the outside of the clamshell, because everytime I go to my car, I always have my phone. Plus when the alarm went off, it could notify your phone. You could also remote start, turn on A/C or heat, and even yell into the phone when someone sets of your alarm to use the cars stereo to yell at someoen trying to break in. Also, I really don't need a car stereo anymore. I just need an amp. The phone controls the music, and the volume, so really if you just amplify it and hook the amp up to the speakers, a seperate stereo becomes rather unnecessary.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2010, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
What a completely retarded idea. WTF ?

-t
Why is that retarded? It makes perfect sense, if you think about it. Takes the technology integration to the next level.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 30, 2010, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by Phileas View Post
Why is that retarded? It makes perfect sense, if you think about it. Takes the technology integration to the next level.
It's a good idea, as long as it's not the only way to start the vehicle. If it is, then that's just silly.

EDIT: I wonder if Apple would ever be cool with a manufacturer selling a jailbroken iPhone/iPod touch with a vehicle.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 30, 2010, 10:43 PM

Start engine with the iPhone ?

Someone steals your phone, and then you have to walk home ?

BS.

-t

Phileas
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2010, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Start engine with the iPhone ?

Someone steals your phone, and then you have to walk home ?
Come on. You lose your keys and you have to walk home? Same thing.

Or you borrow somebody else's phone, type in an emergency unlock code and drive yourself home. Makes far more sense.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 30, 2010, 10:50 PM

Come on. You lose your keys and you have to walk home? Same thing.

Or you borrow somebody else's phone, type in an emergency unlock code and drive yourself home. Makes far more sense.
No, not same thing as having a real key. Car keys don't get stolen like cell phones do.
They also don't run out of juice. Or break when you drop them on the ground.

Besides, if they put gizmos in my car, I want a finger print sensor, and not my darn iPhone to start the engine.

Like I said: stupid idea, at least the Start Engine part.

-t

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jan 30, 2010, 10:59 PM

I think its a great idea.

MacinTommy  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2010, 11:06 PM

I really hope boy8cookie goes through with his in dash idea... I want to see it.
Here is a Mac Mini in dash and here is the "Jeepintosh"

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2010, 11:14 PM

I know I read some articles aboutan iPhone app that remotely starts an engine. It exists, or at least, te concept exists.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

MacinTommy  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2010, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
I know I read some articles aboutan iPhone app that remotely starts an engine. It exists, or at least, te concept exists.
Isn't it by Viper? But you have to have their system already installed.

MacinTommy  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2010, 11:18 PM

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 31, 2010, 01:57 AM

I think the negative netbook comparisons have been largely flawed, or at least skewed to meet the notions of a vocal minority.

Seems to me the angry crowd are largely people who wanted a cheap macbook and didn't get one. They want a full featured, full powered macbook with a multi-touch display for netbook prices. Not. Gonna. Happen.

I think Apple has accurately decided that the netbook market is made of of 2 groups, the above group that really want macbooks but don't want to pay macbook prices and a second group that actually want what the iPad aims to deliver.

You've got an instant on internet device with months of standby time. Hell, its even got 10 hour playback battery. But seriously, I think a LARGE part of the current netbook market and even a larger part of the would-be netbook market really want an internet device that turns on instantly, solves a problem or delivers some data and then turns off again until needed.

And as others have said, there is a LOT to be said for the professional who has a desktop machine or even a laptop and then just grabs the iPad when they leave the office to go to meetings or make their rounds. They keep tabs on what they need, jot down ideas, entertain themselves and then go back to work. And while it sits on your desk, its still the ultimate PIM ever. How many people who are are mac users at home and stuck with a work PC would love an iPad to sit on their desk so they can have their home email, contacts, calendar, etc? Soooo much easier to use an iPad as an electronic planner than anything I've seen to date.

The secondary around-the-house appliance market is also a big potential market. Again, something you use at the coffee table, in bed, in the kitchen, in the den. Not your full-time machine. Same for long distance commuters or traveling.

I think the multitask thing is way outa proportion. Even my lowly iPhone 3G swaps between apps fast enough that I hardly care that they aren't running simultaneously. Yeah, there are a few apps that would be nice keep running in the background like Pandora, but I hardly miss it. Push is good enough for AIM, Facebook, etc IMO.

As for flash, I really only care because of Hulu. Find a way to get Hulu and Netflix and iPad goes from very cool and handy for a lot of people to absolute slam dunk. I'd like to think standalone apps are in the pipeline for those, but time will tell.

At first the camera thing seemed like a miss, but I don't think it was really feasible. iChat-ing up people's noses doesn't seem like a good idea. And I don't expect it to change on v2.0. Instead, I think you'll see video chat docks showing up in the market place pretty quick.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." -- Hunter S. Thompson

miacomet
Forum Regular
Jan 31, 2010, 02:38 AM

Can I take notes in lecture on it, with a stylus???

That would kill carrying around so many different note-books and accumulating loads of paper too!!!

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 31, 2010, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by miacomet View Post

That would kill carrying around so many different note-books and accumulating loads of paper too!!!
No you can not. You can use your finger.

When Apple did handwriting recognition in the 1990s(long before others) people complained about bad recognition and that it was slower to use than using a keyboard.

Now, you have a virtual keyboard if you want to take notes, and the Apps(Pages) directly from Apple to do it. BUt complains from the vocal minority persist.

In fact, with Pages, Keynote and Numbers you have all the general requirements for a student (documents and presentations, with some accounting/analysis if necessary)....that's not including the possibilities of Apps to come from third parties.....at worst, imagine VPN clients on this thing.

If you need multi-tasking, ability to run specialized software, or the ability to take notes with a stylus, Apple provides products for that too....they're called Macs, and with the Wacom tablets you'll be set to take notes "with a stylus" if you so need.

Cheers

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2010, 10:40 AM

Are you friggin’ serious? Nobody is going to bring a Wacom tablet with their laptop to class.

When I went back to school a couple years ago, I suddenly was wishing Apple would jump on the Tablet bandwagon, in the convertible sense. Not because i thought there would be much use for adding stylus sensitivity to the UI in general. But for taking notes in a class, it’s generally faster to type than to write furiously, but every now and then, you need to sketch a picture, and that sucks with a trackpad.

Anyway, I’m sure more than one developer is going to come out with a note-taking app that combines text and sketching. It’s just too obvious a market to leave unserved.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 31, 2010, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
No you can not. You can use your finger.
Sure you can. You just need a stylus that works with capacitive multitouch screens.

Finger Touch Stylus Pen for Apple iPhone (Black/Silver) - WE20831STYUNITOUC-01 - Buy.com

The only problem is that you'll have a hard time accessing any multitouch features with a stylus.

Hawkeye is also right in pointing out that the handwriting recognition is not currently present in the iPhones and iPads, but that can change. Or it could be supplied by a 3rd party.

-t

miacomet
Forum Regular
Jan 31, 2010, 11:42 AM

I don't need handwriting recognition. Actually, I am a Scientist and I write down mathematical formula's all day long. So handwriting recognition wouldn't really help me so much.

Instead, I would be very happy if there was a program that just recorded my scribblings on the screen (as I wrote them), and allowed me to save them to a PDF file. Then I would not have to carry around so many piles of paper.

Also, can I read my scientific papers (and annotate them) in PDF format? I've been waiting for an adobe PDF reader for my iPhone for years... yes I can email the files to myself and then hunt through my email to find them later. But why can't I have a folder with all my PDF's in them and just click the one I want to read it???

Hash
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2010, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa View Post
I think one of things that people are "disappointed" in is that the iPad can't do things that a full laptop/netbook can. However, we need to remember that these things are not what it is intended to do. This is NOT meant to be a productive laptop replacement. If you need to write a novel or use Photoshop, this is not for you and was never meant to be.

The iPad is targeted for people who want a simple portable "computer" for media consumption, web browsing, email, games, etc. In this regard, the iPad has EVERYTHING it needs to perform these functions.

iTunes for music and video? Check

Safari for web browsing? Check

Mail for email? Check

iBooks for books? Check

Apps for magazines and newspapers? Check

Full access to the iPhone app store for games, apps, etc.? Check

Potential for developers to make iPad specific apps? Check

The lack of an iSight camera is a bit disappointing, but I can almost guarantee it will be added in iPad v. 2.

Just as an iPhone is not for everyone, neither is the iPad.

As Railhead said, this a perfect device for replacing that laptop you casually use around the house or when traveling.
You have a connector kit for USB camera. Feel free to use any USB camera out there on the market.

Hash
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2010, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by NeverTriedApple View Post
If only it could run Mac OS X so that I could load Parallels with Win XP on it. I would be switching from my MBA to iPad in a split second.
you can't use that XP on it.. and OS X as well. Its a touch-based system.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2010, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Hash View Post
He (or she) knows that. “If only it could…” is an acknowledgment that it can’t.

and as far as
You have a connector kit for USB camera. Feel free to use any USB camera out there on the market.
…there’s no indication whatsoever that this will let you control the camera. This page only mentions importing. So at least for now it’s geared at digital still cameras, not webcams. Not all of them even have a standard protocol for being controlled by a computer.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 31, 2010, 02:51 PM

Instead, I would be very happy if there was a program that just recorded my scribblings on the screen (as I wrote them), and allowed me to save them to a PDF file. Then I would not have to carry around so many piles of paper.

Also, can I read my scientific papers (and annotate them) in PDF format? I've been waiting for an adobe PDF reader for my iPhone for years... yes I can email the files to myself and then hunt through my email to find them later. But why can't I have a folder with all my PDF's in them and just click the one I want to read it???
That is entirely possible with the iPad.

I'm almost certain we're going to see apps that do that and more.

-t

Cold Warrior
Jan 31, 2010, 02:58 PM

Skim does that stuff now on the Mac -- not scribbles but typed annotations. The developer has said though (on the project's page via the feature request comments) that he's not going to make one for iPhone or iPad; he claims the iPhone OS is too different for him to easily replicate Skim's features. Hopefully someone will pick up the concept. It seems wide open to do great things with.

btw there is this already, http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/aji-a...285258831?mt=8
Seems ripe for expansion to iPad.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 31, 2010, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
When Apple did handwriting recognition in the 1990s(long before others) people complained about bad recognition and that it was slower to use than using a keyboard.
Actually, the handwriting recognition was dodgy, but the printing recognition was excellent.

miacomet
Forum Regular
Jan 31, 2010, 08:25 PM

Is Adobe going to release a PDF reader for the iPad? Any word?

MacinTommy  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2010, 09:27 PM

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 31, 2010, 09:48 PM

I was just about to post that. Now I've gotta have one.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 31, 2010, 09:50 PM

To get the Grammy winners' list?

MacinTommy  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2010, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
To get the Grammy winners' list?
But of course!

kylef
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 6, 2010, 08:28 AM

My brother made a good point - I'd rather it ran a slimmed down version of SL rather than a beefed up version of iPhone OS. A "stunning 1.0GHz" processor and no multi-tasking? And no camera? Come on ... very disappointed.

Undo Redo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 6, 2010, 02:03 PM

I'd like to rent one for a week or two just to confirm the things I think I wouldn't like about it. If I had no grief in returning it, then I'd know.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 6, 2010, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by kylef View Post
My brother made a good point - I'd rather it ran a slimmed down version of SL rather than a beefed up version of iPhone OS.
The iPhone OS *IS* a slimmed down version of the desktop OS X.

Other than that, your brother is making the same point as eleventy billion other geeks: they want OS X on a tablet. Well, we know that by now.

-t

ajprice
Professional Poster
Feb 7, 2010, 06:40 AM

Charlie Brooker | iPad therefore iWant? Probably. Why? iDunno | Comment is free | The Guardian
YouTube - newswipe ipad pisstake (nsfw - swearwords!)

Charlie Brooker's newspaper column, and part of his Newswipe show with a 'review' of the iPad launch shown on Sky news . If you don't know who Charlie Brooker is, he has a few of these review series.. Screenwipe for TV shows, Newswipe for the news stories, and he did a one off of Gameswipe, for for video games. He also wrote Dead Set (a zombie outbreak, but everybody in the Big Brother house is sealed off from it and don't know whats happening)

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 7, 2010, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by Hash View Post
It's not because it's a touch-based system that you can't use a desktop OS like OS X or XP. You can't use OS X or XP because they don't run on the ARM processor architecture.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

tupsy0
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 8, 2010, 12:05 AM

I'm surprised by how many people seem to have missed the point of the iPad. This is, as Apple have said, a new class of product. Yes it is Their answer to the net book question but they are coming at it from a totally different angle. Net books have been trying to cram a fully featured os be it XP, Linux, or even windows 7, into a product with too small a screen, too underpowered a processor and a cramped keyboard. There seem to be a lot of complaints that Apple didn't do the same but but but that's the genius! I have a 13.3" MBP and it's brilliant but I wouldn't want to go any smaller than a 13'3" screen and certainly not 9.7". Also we are now used to large glass multitouch track pads, who is going to be satisfied with what a netbook sized laptop could offer? So not wanting to put out an inferior product they quite rightly chucked out the netbook idea and when you are the maker of the best and most successful touch screen devices in the world iPad was the natural result. Using the iPhone os as opposed to osX wasn't the easy option it was the right option. The result is a tablet devise with an os designed from the ground up for a small touch screen with over a 100 000 apps ready to go, loads of content ready to go and easily accessible via iTunes, App store and now iBook store. The best bit, at least from a lot of peoples point of view is it removes any concern about which os. This is something Apple learned with the iPod and iPhone, if you can side step the issue of the operating system and still deliver a product that gives people what they want better and easier than any one else, the market is yours for the taking. I don't see any one else is in a position to this but Apple not even Google (though they're definitely the ones looking to steal from the Apple tree). The iPad has finally delivered on the net book promise by coming from a different direction all together and answering the ebook reader question at the same time.
One more thing, I saw what they did with iWork so i don't see how this not a tool for productivity as well.

patrix
Feb 8, 2010, 12:33 AM

Exactly, tupsy0.

Apple didn't ask "how can we build a netbook? How can we build a better netbook?"

Instead, they asked "What are netbooks used for, and how can we deliver that and make it work?"

IOW, they attacked the problem, rather than try to copy what everyone else is doing. And mark my words, everyone else is going to copy what Apple is doing. As usual.

Heck I still remember when they came out with STAPLERS that had transparent plastic, like the iMacs...

Patrix.

Forum Links
Forum Rules