Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > WTF Malaysia?

WTF Malaysia?
subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 28, 2014, 12:36 AM

mindwaves
Dec 28, 2014, 03:36 AM

Yes. I saw this news. Quite devastating for the country considering three airplanes from Malaysian based flight carriers have either gone missing or shot down.

This is quite scary. However, Airasia has had a perfect record up to today, so this is super surprising. MH370 is still lost and how a modern airplane in this modern world can still remain as lost as Amelia Earhart's plane scores of years ago is surprising. I still insist flight MH370 is somewhere in Africa and sold as parts.

I flew Malaysian Airlijes earlier this year and came back very unimpressed. The in-flight entertainment center didn't work!

Sorry for the families who have lost lives here.

Edit: Apparetly, no distress call was made prior to losing contact with the QZ plane which is weird.
http://m.tvnz.co.nz/news/world/6212444. The search area should be fairly small compared to MH370.

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Dec 28, 2014, 07:49 AM

It may be statistically impossible for THAT MANY airplanes to go missing, shot down from that location. 3 now, right?

mindwaves
Dec 28, 2014, 08:45 AM

One really missing. MH370. Malaysian Airlines
One missing right now. QZ8501. AirAsia (technically from Malaysia but Indonesia branch so I hear)
One shot down. MHsomething. Malaysian Airlines

Crazy odds.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 28, 2014, 09:11 AM

That's so ****ed up, almost makes you wonder who they pissed off.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

reader50
Administrator
Dec 28, 2014, 02:01 PM

Obviously they forgot to do a goat sacrifice before takeoff.

reader50
Administrator
Dec 28, 2014, 08:12 PM

I'll grant them the Ukraine crash - it was caused by a SAM. But MH370 and this latest one strain the odds. Different birds (Boeing 777 vs Airbus A320), different carriers (Malaysia Airlines vs AsiaAir), different times of day. Both unexplained, weird crashes.

Maybe someone is doing some sabotage after all.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 29, 2014, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
I'll grant them the Ukraine crash - it was caused by a SAM. But MH370 and this latest one strain the odds. Different birds (Boeing 777 vs Airbus A320), different carriers (Malaysia Airlines vs AsiaAir), different times of day. Both unexplained, weird crashes.

Maybe someone is doing some sabotage after all.
I would not be surprised if they are the newest additions to the "ISIS Air Force". Both countries are Sunni majority.
45/47

mindwaves
Dec 29, 2014, 10:33 AM

To me, the weirdest thing about both MH370 and QZ8501 is that there is NO reported wreckage found or any sort of debris. If a plane had some sort of accident and then hit the water and an uncontrollable speed and angle, then I would assume that a lot of debris/wreckage would be easily spotted.

I don't know anything though. I am just surmising.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 29, 2014, 10:52 AM

They diverted because of weather. Weather in that area has been particularly harsh this last couple of years, and pretty nasty for much of 2014. I'm thinking that this flight was in the wrong place at the wrong time, weatherwise. Turning to avoid a visible storm may have gotten them into trouble with something that wasn't visible, like shear winds.

I hope they actually find this plane. Crashed, ditched, beached, whatever. That will help to explain what happened. Too bad it probably is down hard without survivors. There would have been some kind of signal since it disappeared if it weren't that bad.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 29, 2014, 11:20 AM

Not real.

Our friends the "truthers" are all over this.
ISIS = 9/11-Style Attack
Breaking news and events in respect to state-sponsored terrorist group known as ISIS suggests that they will be leaving Iraq for America, most likely via airplane. This particular terror narrative was first identified on June 14, 2014, when ISIS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi stated “See you in New York”. A day later on June 15, 2014, U.S. Senator Lindsay Graham stated that ISIS held territory in Iraq will be the next 9/11 “staging area”. Less than 24-hours later on June 16, 2014, CBS News published a report entitled “Will ISIS Plan a 9/11-Style Terror Plot Against the U.S.?”, further foreshadowing the notion that ISIS will be executing terror attacks using planes. A week later on June 23, 2014, Zionist U.S. Senator Diane Feinstein stated in respect to ISIS that “There will be plots to kill Americans”. How exactly people in Washington, D.C. know the secret plans of terrorists in the desert of Iraq is not known unless of course the politicians and the terrorists are being controlled by the same entity—the CIA. Lastly, on June 25, 2014, it was reported that Americans have now joined ISIS and that ISIS is trying to grab its own air force, further confirming that a 9/11-style terror attack by ISIS in the United States is the ISIS endgame.
45/47

design219
Professional Poster
Dec 29, 2014, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by mindwaves View Post
Crazy odds.
I suppose. But I have often wondered about how odds really work, and the perspective you view them from.

Take a lottery drawing. Suppose you have a six number lottery with number choices ranging from one to 30. It would seem that the odds of a winning set being 1,2,3,4,5,6 would be astronomical, but in actuality, that sequence would have just as much chance of being picked as any other string of numbers. Yes?

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 29, 2014, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by mindwaves View Post
how a modern airplane in this modern world can still remain as lost as Amelia Earhart's plane scores of years ago is surprising.
Not really. 75% of the earth is still covered in water and as we learned from the first Malaysian Airliner that went down, GPS tech (service, really) for tracking planes in the middle of nowhere costs enough that companies don't always employ it.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 29, 2014, 03:53 PM

There is GPS coverage literally everywhere on the globe. It's a matter of how you use it that's a problem when looking for something that's lost.

In the extremely wide open parts of the Pacific and Indian Oceans that we're talking about, GPS provides essential and extremely accurate navigational information that is compared onboard aircraft with inertial navigation systems (and probably others) to get close to meter-by-meter position granularity. Modern airliners also tend to have a multitude of communication systems that "check in" with some home base, similar to the way UPS trucks do here in the States, and those probably typically use satellite communication - which requires only that the satcom is up and running at both ends. The Malaysia Air flight checked in several times when it was off its planned route, but that didn't help find the airplane.

But here's where GPS fails to "find airplanes." If the aircraft has no power, it's not going to call home, and can't report its last position. If it crashes into the sea, its emergency beacons are likely to be unable to get a signal out of the water; emergency locator beacons use a couple of "emergency" frequencies (called "guard" frequencies - 121.5 MHz and 243.0MHz) and newer ELTs use 406.o MHz. None of those frequencies penetrates water worth a darn. So having the very best GPS system ever won't do beans if the airplane itself isn't cooperating.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 29, 2014, 04:24 PM

There is also the possibility the GPS was turned off.
45/47

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 30, 2014, 08:43 AM

Looks like they found it.

mindwaves
Dec 30, 2014, 08:50 AM

Yes, they found it which is a relief.

Another AirAsia plane overshot the runway and had to have its emergency shoots open.

AirAsia plane overshoots Kalibo runway

mindwaves
Dec 31, 2014, 04:00 AM

The plane has possibly been found.

One body found was wearing a life jacket and they are presuming now that the plane was intact when it hit the water, but the curious thing is that the pilot never made a distress call, despite the fact that there is time to make the call (the person was wearing a life jacket so the plane didn't break in mid-air).

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 26, 2015, 12:54 PM

This is pretty ****ing funny...

Showed up on the Malaysia Airlines website...

Forum Links
Forum Rules