Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Problems waking from Sleep

Problems waking from Sleep
TracyS
Jan 17, 2000, 10:22 PM

I have had no problems at all with my iMac DV, which I have had since November 12th, until just recently. The last week or so, it goes to sleep fine, but when I wake it up from sleep, connect the access remote, I get a message that Finder has quit because of an Error type 2 and I should save all work and restart the computer, which I do. I then get another message that Finder has quit and then it freezes. Has anybody else experienced this? Any help would be appreciated very much! Thanks!

apple-fan
Jan 19, 2000, 10:42 AM

I have a original 233 Bondi Blue iMac, and have had no problems, till about 1 month after my Warranty ran out. Now my computer doesnt want to wake up from sleep, and when it does, has the same problem yours is having, getting the same error, and then wanting me to restart. What a pain.

Kuzelnik
Jan 19, 2000, 11:19 AM

I have also had the same problem. If my iMac DV SE goes to sleep and then I try to connect using Remote Access, either the application quits, fails to connect or otherwise results in an error forcing me to restart. A solution from Apple about this obvious OS problem would be nice . . .
(I have isolated this problem and it is definitely not due to a third party extension conflict or other software conflict. I t is probably a Finder issue that will probably be corrected in OS 9.0.1. . . . Let's keep our fingers crossed . . .)

seventray
Jan 19, 2000, 12:12 PM

I have also had similar problems with my iMac DV SE. My problem is that if I put it to sleep while the modem is connected, it just freezes. Also, when I put it to sleep and wake it up, it gives me error messages similar to the memory ones you get and my desktop picture becomes pixelated or changes all together. Sleep problems with the iMac are very well known and there is no cure that I have heard about. My solution is just keeping my computer running or if I leave it for a long period of time, I just shut it down. I feel your pain.

pcurtner
Forum Regular
Jan 19, 2000, 03:09 PM

All of my iMac DV SEs (five at the office) have that sleep issue-- if they go into 'deep' sleep, pushing the power button doesn't bring them back. I've tried trashing the Energy Saver preferences, then resetting the sleep timers, but the behavior continues..

So run SETI@Home and disable sleep, simply blank the monitor after a few minutes instead.

Setic
Jan 19, 2000, 03:35 PM

Try setting HardDisk sleep to 30min and display sleep to 15 min or something like that.

My iMac DV works fine on these settings, but crashes if I use the control strip to spin down the HD. I think my iMac likes to slowley transition into full sleep rather than be knocked out

tadd
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 19, 2000, 07:17 PM

I'm having the problem pcurtner is having I think. My iMac DV won't recover from sleep. My two and a half year old keeps putting it into sleep because he hits the power button on the keyboard and then answers the dialog incorrectly.

Anyway. when the unit goes to sleep and I get it to come back with the power button on the system unit, the machine makes noises like it is starting the monitor but it never brings back the desktop. I have to hit the (now very convenient) reset button on the side.

My G4 does sleep just fine and recovers just fine. Following the same procedures causes the iMac DV to lock up. What gives?

The problem has followed this computer through OS 8.6 and OS 9.

My solution has been to do monitor sleep only and not let the unit do a full sleep. This keeps me from having the problem until the 2 yr old gets involved.

------------------
Tadd Torborg

DaveD
Jan 19, 2000, 10:23 PM

I had the problem pcurtner has on my iMac DV in the office. I looked at the Apple support boards and found many people with this problem. One fix was replacing the Multiprocessing folder back into the extensions folder. That worked. Problem sovled.

Sirolly
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 20, 2000, 12:45 AM

Let me make a wager for the iMac DV users who sometimes have trouble waking from sleep... (that is, the power light turns green but the monitor remains dark, requiring a reset.)

I bet you leave a CD-ROM or a DVD in the iMac drive all the time, visible on the desktop. Am I right?

Try making sure that you have ejected any CD-ROM or DVD from your drive whenever you put your iMac DV to sleep, and see if the problem doesn't miraculously disappear. I'm not saying that this is how the iMac DV is *supposed* to work, but this is how many of these Macs seem to work, for some reason.

Try it, you'll see. If there is a CD-ROM or DVD in the drive, about a quarter of the time your iMac may freeze when waking from sleep. With no CD-ROM or DVD in the drive, it will *never* freeze when >waking< from sleep. This only applies to waking from the full sleep mode where the power light turns yellow and flashes on and off like a heartbeat.

Most likely, you have to manually force your iMac DV to sleep this way -- by pressing the power button on the keyboard or by using the "Sleep" command in the "Special" menu in the Finder. The iMac DVs don't seem to go into full sleep automatically, based on the settings in the "Energy Saver" control panel. The screen just turns a dark blue or black, while the power light remains green. Sometimes, when you choose "Sleep", the hard drive will spin up and down several times before the iMac goes to sleep. It may even go to sleep without spinning down the hard drive, which is what makes sleep so quiet.

And woe to those who choose "Sleep" while the modem still has a live "PPP" connection via the "Remote Access" control panel! The modem will hang up nicely (as it has on every Mac since Open Transport 1.0) but the iMac DV will unceremoniously freeze -- clock, mouse pointer and all, without ever going to sleep. Time for another reset.

Of course, many iMac users will never notice these symptoms. They may be too new to Macs to realize all these freezes are wrong. They may not use CD-ROMs or DVDs very often, or they may take them out of the drive as soon as they are done using them. If they are using the "Simple Finder", there is no "Sleep" command in the Special menu. They may not know about choosing Sleep from the dialog box that appears when you press the Power key on the keyboard. They may not realize that a dark screen with a green power light is not really the full sleep mode, even though this is all the Energy Saver control panel seems to manage. They may be connected to the Internet via an Ethernet network, DSL or a cable modem, and wouldn't face the freeze that occurs when choosing "Sleep" while the modem is connected to the Internet by PPP.

At any rate, I hope this advice helps someone!

-- Michael Sirolly :-)
------------------------
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by Sirolly (edited 01-20-2000).]

bigbear
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 20, 2000, 11:56 AM

"With no CD-ROM or DVD in the drive, it will
*never* freeze when waking from sleep."
-Sirolly (a long and didactic poster)

If by *never* you mean sometimes, then you're right. This sleep problem is a tough nut,seemingly multi-factorial.I've experienced many freezes going to and waking from sleep and I *never* keep a CD mounted.
BTW, Sirolly--what was your wager?

tadd
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 21, 2000, 04:19 PM

Ok. I'll bite.
I put the imac DV to sleep with no PPP connection and no CD or DVD in the drive.
The light on the monitor is amber, fading on and off.
I click the mouse and the light immediately turns green, the drive spins up. The monitor stays dark.
Nada.
This is the same as always. I have NEVER seen this iMac DV wake from sleep.
VM is on, ramdisk is off, cache is default, os is MacOS9 (same problem in 8.6, clean install since then), only USB peripherals are mouse and keyboard, no applications except Finder left running. No Airport card.
196MB of RAM.

Any ideas? I should call Apple tech support.. I will if nobody has anything here.

Thanks for any input.

------------------
Tadd Torborg

Rick58
Jan 21, 2000, 04:47 PM

Tadd - ditto to most the above (DV SE (should be same as DV), 128MB RAM, OS9, VM on, ramdisk off); I have a USB SuperDisk and Epson 740 printer plugged in. Use 'Special' menu to go to Sleep mode.

EXCEPT, my monitor DOES come back on. It definitely shuts off during sleep, the HD spins down, the geeen light goes pulsing amber. I usually click the mouse button to wake up. The light turns green, drive spins up, monitor comes on (I'm not sure of the *exact* timing between HD & monitor ... I'm not home at the moment...).

I'd say there's something wrong. Is there a relay that kicks on the monitor voltages or something? Sorry, not an expert, but I can seemingly verify that the Sleep mode/reawaken should work.

I do have the same problems as everyone else when trying to let the Energy Saver CP do the Sleep (monitor goes dark, but not off).

Hope this helps. - Rick.

Allen Watson
Jan 23, 2000, 01:10 PM

Check for this problem on www.macfixit.com. I know it has been discussed there, and I believe there is a solution that has been posted.

MAlan
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 24, 2000, 02:09 PM

I had a problem that was almost exactly like Tracy S's. Someone told me that I wasn't waiting until the iMac was fully awake before hitting connect on remote access. What I do now to avoid waking from sleep issues is to awake from sleep and access software that does not need to connect to any hardware besides memory to function...i.e. like a simple game or an Apple works word processing document. I play with that for about 2 minutes and then go do what I want to do like going to remote access. I haven't had the problem since.

Forum Links
Forum Rules