Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iTunes library: Windows -> Mac compatible?

iTunes library: Windows -> Mac compatible?
Gig103
Jul 4, 2004, 12:39 AM

I have had my 3rd generation iPod running on my windows box for a few months now. I just got a new powerbook and want to transfer the files over. but I want iTunes to know my ratings, is copying the .xml file going to be enough??

Or, is there freeware software that will let me copy over a few thousand songs with all that information from the ipod directly?
-Mike
=======
My Home Theater: The Stig Cinema
My Powerbook: Alum 15", 1.33ghz G4, 256mb, 60gb, combo drive

Toyin
Mac Elite
Jul 4, 2004, 11:05 PM

I've only done this once and it was to move my wife's music from my Mac onto her PC. It worked fine. I did a few things to make sure that it worked however. First I set the iTunes preferences as follows : 1) iTunes library to the default location and 2) Let iTunes organize music files. On the PC I launched iTunes and set the preferences to the same. After that I simply replaced the iTunes folder on the PC with the iTunes folder from the Mac. Upon relaunch everything was identical to the macintosh. I think it should work fine the other way.

Just a helpful tip though, back up as much as you can before proceeding. If nothing else back up both the iTunes Music Library.xml and iTunes 4 Music Library.

Good luck
-Toyin
13" MBA 1.8ghz i7
"It's all about the rims that ya got, and the rims that ya coulda had"
S.T. 1995

Gig103  (op)
Aug 4, 2004, 04:34 PM

An update for those interested (Note I didn't have the default locations for my music, but iTunes was managing it).

I copied the XML file over to the ~/Music/iTunes Library/ folder. Then I opened it in a text editor (vim) and did a search/replace for the path of my old music with the path for the new, such as:

file://d:/music/ with file://Gir:Users:Mike:Music:iTunes Library/

Once the replace was done, I copied all the music into that folder and opened iTunes, and it worked.
-Mike
=======
My Home Theater: The Stig Cinema
My Powerbook: Alum 15", 1.33ghz G4, 256mb, 60gb, combo drive

leperkuhn
Senior User
Aug 4, 2004, 04:45 PM

you'd think they would include an easy way to do that transfer.. like if you plug in an iPod that was on a windows computer, it would be like, "hey jackass, are you switching? "

the iPod would even be a great way to move everything from the old computer to the new. Just include a little windows app that puts all your stuff on the pod (including your address book & email) and then on the mac side sets it up for you.

Booya!

Forum Links
Forum Rules