Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > .Mac 3.0 Whoa!!

.Mac 3.0 Whoa!! (Page 2)
RonnieoftheRose
May 1, 2005, 10:03 PM

Syncing bookmarks and addresses to Dot Mac isn't working for me. The website still shows bookmarks from two years ago and no contacts at all.

MilkmanDan
Mac Elite
May 1, 2005, 11:24 PM

Well, if you're a student you can get an account for $70 until the end of March, which I really should do....

krove
Mac Elite
May 3, 2005, 12:43 AM

Has anyone actually succeeded in syncing their keychain to multiple computers?

BTW, I think the splitting of iSync into the System Prefs and iSync is ridiculous. Apparently, rumor has it that Apple wants to separate out iPod calendar and contact syncing from iSync and put it into iTunes.

ALL SYNCING SHOULD REMAIN IN iSYNC! DAMN YOU APPLE!

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

mattyd
Senior User
May 3, 2005, 12:50 AM

I agree. I think Tiger synching is a step back. Why should .mac be removed from iSync? Now, syching all your devices and computers takes two steps (and two seperate apps) instead of one.

shortcipher
Dedicated MacNNer
May 3, 2005, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by McFarmer
Catfish_Man, thanks for the comment.

I suppose if the link is to a web page of the same domain then Safari does not block it. Although I had a few web pages where window blocking did in fact block all user initiated popups. Perhaps that was because those links were to a different domain?
no, it's probably because you were using some indirect method to open the popup, like redirecting to a new page on which a bit of javascript resides that pops the window open. Popup blocking allows user initiated windows to open, the question is: how does it decide what is user initiated and what is not? Its probably something to do with when the user clicked, its certainly not anything to do with domains, if it were then most commercial sites would still get away with popups as they are almost certainly in the same domain as themselves!

Noonster
Dedicated MacNNer
May 3, 2005, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by MilkmanDan
Well, if you're a student you can get an account for $70 until the end of March, which I really should do....
Where have you found that online??
- I cant find it
MacBook • 13.3" MacBook Aluminum Unibody, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB, 250GB
iMac G5 • 20" iMac G5, 1.8GHz, 1GB, 160GB, SD, AP, BT/KB/MS
iPod Mini • Silver, 4GB
iPhone 3G • Black, 16GB

ehunt
Forum Regular
May 3, 2005, 09:43 AM

"Syncing bookmarks and addresses to Dot Mac isn't working for me. The website still shows bookmarks from two years ago and no contacts at all."

There is a work around on the Apple Support site which involves a complete reset of the data but that hasn't worked for alot of people either....seems to be a Tiger problem which Apple will have to work out soon given the number of people it's affecting:

These steps should be performed on the Mac that has your most current information. Ensure that everything is properly set up and up-to-date and make a manual backup of your information for additional security.

Then:

1. Make sure you are connected to the Internet. You can do so by loading a page like this one in your browser.
2. Open System Preferences and click on ".Mac" to open the .Mac preferences pane.
3. Click on "Advanced" to open the "Advanced" tab and then click on the "Reset Sync Data" button.
4. From the "Replace" pop-up menu, choose the information you want to reset (such as Bookmarks, Keychains, or All Sync Info).
5. Click the on the "right arrow" button. The dialog will change its message to state "On .Mac with sync info from this computer". Finally, click on "Replace".

This will replace the information stored on the .Mac servers with a fresh copy of the information that is stored on your Mac. Once again, this is why it is important to ensure that your Mac is up-to-date: your .Mac information will be lost.

Then, wait about 10 minutes to give the .Mac servers time to accept and process this information. The last step is to log onto the .Mac website in order to confirm the reset procedure.

On the .Mac servers

The last step of the process is to reset your syncing preferences on the .Mac servers in order to ensure that the freshly uploaded data is taken into account and replaces the previously available information. In order to do so, follow these steps.

1. Clear your browser's cache and restart it if necessary. This is not required but is a good precaution to take
2. Go to the .Mac website and log in. You will need your .Mac member name and password to do so.
3. In the tab bar, select "Bookmarks" or "Address Book".
4. Once the requested service has loaded, click on the "Preferences" button to bring up that specific service's preferences.
5. In the page that appears, uncheck "Turn on Address Book Synchronization" or "Turn on Bookmarks Synchronization".
6. Save your choice and log out.
7. Once again, clear your browser's cache.
8. Repeat steps 2 to 6 but, this time, check the boxes.
9. Save this new setting: .Mac will present you with a dialog that will allow you to complete the reset.
: MB Pro 17" 2.16GHz Intel I MB Air 1.6GHz I iPhone 3G I iPod Nano & Shuffle I PB G4 867Mhz I AirPort Extreme 802.11n I Time Capsule
MISC : Lacie D2±RW Dual Layer I Canon Powershot A700 & HV10 I SONY PSP & PS3(60gig) I Western Digital 500GB

Forum Links
Forum Rules