Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Macbook Pro and Frontrow

Macbook Pro and Frontrow
wintermute1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 4, 2006, 01:27 PM

HI All:

I just got a macbookpro 2.0 Ghz
and have a slight problem. I used the migration utility to move data from my old system to the new one, and the Front Row application seems to have disappeared. I have tried reinstalling it from the original DVDs, but it doesn't seem to transfer, and doesn't appear in spotlight. I tried installing the update (1.2.1) and it quits with an error when I try to install it.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. System is fine otherwise.

And fast!

Barefoot Matt
Forum Regular
Mar 4, 2006, 01:47 PM

FrontRow is only accessible by pushing the menu button on the remote; AFAIK, it doesn't appear on the dock or in spotlight or anything. If you've tried that and still can't get it to work, I'm at a loss, and I don't know why the update patch wouldn't be working. If you still have all your data on your old system, you might want to just wipe the new computer and reinstall the OS.

wintermute1  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 4, 2006, 02:14 PM

Thanks for the tip. I will check once I dig the remote out! I think that they should make it accessible via the keyboard as well.

Live and Learn.

D

ibook_steve
Mar 4, 2006, 02:18 PM

I don't have one, but isn't cmd-escape a shortcut key to start Front Row? Check in keyboard and mouse shortcut key preferences. I only know this from Andrew Escobar's hack to get Front Row working on machines that it did not come with.

Steve

Raining Down in Texas
Forum Regular
Mar 4, 2006, 03:41 PM

Yes, Cmd-Esc will bring up Front Row as well.

wintermute1  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 6, 2006, 09:20 PM

This worked. Thanks. I am still not sure what happened with the 1.2.1 update, however.

D

ehunt
Forum Regular
May 15, 2006, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by wintermute1
This worked. Thanks. I am still not sure what happened with the 1.2.1 update, however.

D

Same issue here on my Macbook 17" as I used the migration assistant to move one app over from my old PB G4...Front Row dissapeared (or was it ever an icon in the apps folder I'm not sure according to the posts above) but I can't install the update 1.2.2 as it says I don't have an infared port on my MacBook.
: MB Pro 17" 2.16GHz Intel I MB Air 1.6GHz I iPhone 3G I iPod Nano & Shuffle I PB G4 867Mhz I AirPort Extreme 802.11n I Time Capsule
MISC : Lacie D2±RW Dual Layer I Canon Powershot A700 & HV10 I SONY PSP & PS3(60gig) I Western Digital 500GB

Forum Links
Forum Rules