Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Quicktime 7.2 and AVI videos

Quicktime 7.2 and AVI videos
garymacc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 17, 2007, 08:28 AM

After updating to Quicktime 7.2 yesterday I takes my computer (Intel Core 2 Duo iMac) an age to load any non-MP4 files on Quicktime. Front Row basically wont open folders unless all files in them are MP4.
I tried looking the net for earlier versions of Quicktime 7 but couldn't find any.
I hate losing that functionality - anybody have any suggestions. Please

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 17, 2007, 09:55 AM

What codec are the "non-MP4" files in and which decoder do you use? Perian, 3ivx, DivX?

I see no problem using the latest version of Perian.

P
Jul 17, 2007, 10:15 AM

Seems to be an effect of the second-to-last version of Perian. Perian 1.0 works, but has it's own issues (e.g. with Toast).

mandmowichita
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 17, 2007, 10:33 AM

I just updated QT yesterday to 7.3 and I probably don't use it as much as most of you all, but I'm still having a problem. Web sites with QT video clips & trailers - the clips/trailers just show up as a dim blue Q with a white question mark over the Q ??

This is on everything from my college main web page to YouTube to Yahoo! etc. I have bought and installed the latest QT Pro key for my wife's MacBook (don't get the same problem on our old iMac).

Suggestions?

macintologist
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2007, 10:55 AM

install Flip4Mac and Perian. Shouldn't have any problems after that.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jul 17, 2007, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by macintologist View Post
install Flip4Mac and Perian. Shouldn't have any problems after that.
I had an older version of Perian installed and it choked on DivX .avi files, but when I upgraded to Perian 1.0 everything worked just fine in QT 7.2 again.

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

garymacc  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 17, 2007, 01:30 PM

Got it sorted; installed Perian 1.0 and everything seems to be back to normal now.

Thanks very much guys

rkv
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 18, 2007, 04:17 AM

I had similar problems since installing QT 7.2. I am using QuickTime Pro and Front Row on a 17" MBP. I had been using:
AviImporter-r7 (Intel).component and XviD_Codec-r58 (Intel).component with earlier versions of QuickTime with no appreciable difference in viewing times and file hierarchy traversal from Front Row for viewing .avi files versus mp4 files.

However, under QT 7.2, Front Row would peg one of the MBP cpu's at 100% while viewing .avi files or traversing any directory which contained them took for ever. While it would eventually work, it took so long that one typically exited Front Row rather than wait.

I have now switched to Perian 1.0 and find that using Front Row I can go down into directories which contain .avi video files and view them with good performance. However, I occasionally still have instances when I wish to exit a particular directory which contains .avi files by using the "Menu" button on the remote to return to the higher level where it still takes forever. This may be more a Front Row issue, although I only seem to have tripped upon it with the QT 7.2 upgrade.

Thanks to the other posts in this thread for pointing me to Perian and helping fix my issues.

ehunt
Forum Regular
Aug 6, 2007, 04:25 PM

Thanks everyone...had the exact same problem..never heard of Perian - fixed my problem immediately!
: MB Pro 17" 2.16GHz Intel I MB Air 1.6GHz I iPhone 3G I iPod Nano & Shuffle I PB G4 867Mhz I AirPort Extreme 802.11n I Time Capsule
MISC : Lacie D2±RW Dual Layer I Canon Powershot A700 & HV10 I SONY PSP & PS3(60gig) I Western Digital 500GB

Forum Links
Forum Rules